PDA

View Full Version : Indian guy paves the way to superhumanity. Commits to open source the software.

donniezazen
November 22nd, 2009, 11:33 PM
Check it out. Amazing technology to come to open source community.

http://www.ted.com/talks/pranav_mistry_the_thrilling_potential_of_sixthsens e_technology.html

-SK

jomiolto
November 22nd, 2009, 11:44 PM
Yeah, I saw this earlier today and I was going to post this here, but promptly forgot it :P

It's quite amazing technology and if I heard him correctly, it only cost something like 300 USD to build the contraption. There are so many possible uses for this -- as long as you have the imagination ;) . And as long as the software is robust (ie. it can reliable detect the gestures).

ElSlunko
November 22nd, 2009, 11:53 PM
That is...pretty darn cool.

donniezazen
November 22nd, 2009, 11:56 PM
Yeah, I saw this earlier today and I was going to post this here, but promptly forgot it :P

It's quite amazing technology and if I heard him correctly, it only cost something like 300 USD to build the contraption. There are so many possible uses for this -- as long as you have the imagination ;) . And as long as the software is robust (ie. it can reliable detect the gestures).

I agree. He is doing really great by open sourcing it so we all can use it and it doesn't sound really hard to build one at home.

reeboker
November 23rd, 2009, 12:46 AM
That's serious? Are we going to change our lives already with these...?

Looks promissing, very interested in taking those pictures. :)

Mr. Picklesworth
November 23rd, 2009, 01:00 AM
This looks like one of Microsoft's pesky CES videos where they say "technology will do things in 50 years that are absolutely impossible today, but you should totally invest in us because we pointed it out to you with flashy special effects."

Still, I hope to see something more definitive than a few best case videos. I like Pranav's optimism and his aim to have this in the open in such a short time.

Projectors and cameras or not, the natural input stuff looks really incredible. Microsoft has been huge in that realm (thanks to their incredible handwriting recognition tech), so it would be interesting if this work would even the scales.

Psumi
November 23rd, 2009, 03:26 AM
Very interesting, indeed.

red_Marvin
November 23rd, 2009, 04:02 AM
I like the concept of a wearable computer and I want (to build) one. now. However I'm not sure that a projector is the right way to go since the visibility of the image is very much dependent on the surrounding lighting conditions and the fact that it might perhaps blind people.

I wonder how this kind of tech will work when there are more than one person with the finger colour ring thingys around, which there is bound to be if the tech gets popular.

JDShu
November 23rd, 2009, 04:14 AM
All usability tweaks will probably be worked out over time, I expect its not something we need to worry about now. Same for the fact that wearing that thing looks rather stupid. If/when this becomes publicly available, you can bet manufacturers will make it look more stylish.

magmon
November 23rd, 2009, 04:19 AM
Very cool, to say the least. I want a set!

Firestem4
November 23rd, 2009, 04:29 AM
This is pretty incredible. I hope this takes off. I will definitely be keeping an eye on this. Welcome to the new world of interaction.

~sHyLoCk~
November 23rd, 2009, 04:40 AM
This is going to be the biggest Technological achievement, when achieved.

MaxIBoy
November 23rd, 2009, 04:50 AM
http://a-m-p.gr/media/image/large/EGConsidermymindblown.jpg

I hope that in practice, this becomes more than just a novelty.

Xbehave
November 23rd, 2009, 05:02 AM
color me unimpressed, Augmented reality has been a concept fro quite some time, this video doesn't show anything new, it's wearable computer (http://www.wearables.unisa.edu.au/) + Microsoft surface-esq object tracking (which in turn is just whiteboards+device level networking+object tracking).

One of the key issues which i didn't see addressed in the video (which i skipped most of as i agree with mr.Picklesworth), is that expanding the framework beyond a few simple test cases is very difficult.

The video seams impressive but it will never happen a few things that are unlikely in the near term, outside of a specially designed program it is impossible to move a windows application between 2 computers and ticket recognition is unlikely (without an extensive db/standardisation of ticket layouts, it may never be possible and the moving of interactive data on/off a sheet will only work with special apps.

Sorry for being so cynical but putting together existing software and a demo app, is hardly paving the way to anything, call me when somebody designs an extensive, expandable image recognition framework or generally brings AR closer to reality.

Ylon
November 23rd, 2009, 12:03 PM
Well, not "completely" original idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfyxWhwia90

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYBzKFm-rd0

PS: I'd see there other idea... they are really good... but not everythig that original... very good assembled by the way.

Exodist
November 23rd, 2009, 12:53 PM
Check it out. Amazing technology to come to open source community.

http://www.ted.com/talks/pranav_mistry_the_thrilling_potential_of_sixthsens e_technology.html

-SK

I swear I started to get my XP cd key out to get it authenticated soon as he started talking.. :D

V for Vincent
November 23rd, 2009, 01:14 PM
"Superhumanity" seems like a pretty major overstatement, but the technology is pretty interesting. I'm a bit doubtful whether it'd really go as smoothly as he says in a day-to-day environment, though. In any case, it's great to see that he wants to open source it.

MaxIBoy
November 27th, 2009, 08:33 PM
color me unimpressed, Augmented reality has been a concept fro quite some time, this video doesn't show anything new, it's wearable computer (http://www.wearables.unisa.edu.au/) + Microsoft surface-esq object tracking (which in turn is just whiteboards+device level networking+object tracking).

One of the key issues which i didn't see addressed in the video (which i skipped most of as i agree with mr.Picklesworth), is that expanding the framework beyond a few simple test cases is very difficult.

The video seams impressive but it will never happen a few things that are unlikely in the near term, outside of a specially designed program it is impossible to move a windows application between 2 computers and ticket recognition is unlikely (without an extensive db/standardisation of ticket layouts, it may never be possible and the moving of interactive data on/off a sheet will only work with special apps.

Sorry for being so cynical but putting together existing software and a demo app, is hardly paving the way to anything, call me when somebody designs an extensive, expandable image recognition framework or generally brings AR closer to reality.The difference is that he's open-sourcing it. As shown in this thread, geeks have a fantastic interest in this, and I'm sure there will be a huge programmer effort to make this real. I know as soon as I have $300 I don't need, I am vaulting this bandwagon so fast your head will spin! I am very interested in porting his code into a suitably embedded OS like NetBSD.

Xbehave
November 27th, 2009, 09:45 PM
The difference is that he's open-sourcing it.
Plenty of OSS projects go nowhere.

As shown in this thread, geeks have a fantastic interest in thisI'd say it got a lukewarm reception here, ues there are some nice concepts in there but nothing new and nothing that paves the way to "superhumanity"

I'm sure there will be a huge programmer effort to make this real.I'm not going to be holding my breath, there is nothing new here yet the technologies it relies on are still lagging far behind what is needed to pull this off.

cosine352
November 27th, 2009, 10:38 PM
am I dreaming ???????? :D:D:D:D

Catboy~
November 27th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Pretty interesting, but how will it effect fashion? :-k

seeker5528
November 28th, 2009, 12:49 AM
While the demo was definitely cool and opensourcing the software so others can play around with it is awesome, I'm not really seeing a practical use for the technology, if you stick with the idea of displaying stuff on a surface.

If you used a pair of contacts or glasses for the display, then I can begin to see some possibilities, there are already people walking around with bluetooth stuff for their phones permanently attached to their ears, so adding a camera to that is not that big of a stretch.

Later, Seeker

MasterNetra
November 28th, 2009, 02:44 AM
lol I would love to have something like what was shown! ...And just think would kind of computers could come about with it paired with holographic tech!