PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Hangs on Booting and No Wireless

newexperimentor
November 22nd, 2009, 09:48 PM
I just did an install of Ubuntu 9.04 into the largest fee space on a new system to have a dual boot system with Vista.

My system is an HP Pavillion p6130y with 8MB ram and a 700GB hard drive running Vista. The wireless modem is a 2Wire412 with an Atheros 802.11 a/b/g/n dual band card.

Everything worked first time in Vista, including wireless networking.

On reboot Ubuntu frequently hangs and does not initiate. The only way out is to turn the power off and restart. I can start fine in safe mode. Otherwise, it is impossible to predict if Ubuntu will complete the start process. About half the time it does not.

Any ideas of what to do or how to solve this?

Second issue. Wireless networking does not work. The first time I was successful in booting into Ubuntu, I was originally asked for a key ring. I don't know why and never had that arise with earlier Ubuntu installs. When network question box for my access number opens, I repeatedly type the number on the modem. This is the same number that works in Vista. No matter how many times I edit/erase the number in the box, it shows numbers/letters I did NOT type in. Even with the "view" box checked, and looking at the correct pass number being present, I still can not connect to the wireless network.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Any help appreciated.

Needless to say, this is the kind of idiocy with Linux that causes people to continue with Macro$haft, no matter how much we want to escape.