View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Freezes On Install

NoOneRuleZ
November 22nd, 2009, 09:27 PM
I have tried the following and they all give me the same error:

Live CD
Install (Normal Mode)
Install from Windows

I have tried the following and it has worked:

The installation of Ubuntu on a virtual machine.

This is the error:

I insert the DVD into my DVD drive.
I select Install.
The logo (that fades in and fades out) appears.
After some time, the logo disappears, and I get a lot of white text.
The following appears: "Starting remaining crypto disks..."
The computer appears to freeze.
The DVD drive stops reading the DVD.

I used the same DVD for the Virtual Machine, so there is nothing wrong with the DVD.

Here is my PC Specifications

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 HT 2.80 GHZ
RAM: 4 GB
GFX Card: ATI 4650

NoOneRuleZ
November 23rd, 2009, 01:33 AM
Whoa. To the third page already? :(

NoOneRuleZ
November 27th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Amg. Someone help plawks. :(

NoOneRuleZ
December 4th, 2009, 03:50 AM
*Feels forgotten.

NoOneRuleZ
December 10th, 2009, 03:52 AM
*Gives up all hope of fixing this problem.

NoOneRuleZ
December 14th, 2009, 06:52 AM
*Wonders if he can get to the second page alone.

NoOneRuleZ
December 28th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Oh, that's real nice. Excellent support Ubuntu!

Urhungry
December 28th, 2009, 11:12 PM
I'm having a similar problem, but mine dosent even start the install. I can't get any help either.

avtolle
December 29th, 2009, 12:02 AM
If either or both are trying to install on an encrypted drive, it is my memory that the alternate install iso needs to be used.

jSalv
December 29th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Please:

Ensure that your DVD-drive is 4x speed or higher (one can assume that nowadays anyways...),
That your HD is not set up to AHCI mode, and if it is, set it to IDE mode (I had to do this),
In your BIOS, that a password is not required upon boot/start-up, this may be a cause for freezing upon accessing the HD.

Other things you may consider trying, however I doubt have anything to do (merely for performance, freezings):
De-fragging your hard-drive,
De-fragmenting it,
Unplugging external USB devices/jacks,
Going offline (unplugging ethernet cables/wireless adapter/wireless card/putting off the wireless interruptor in your comp),
Running anti-virus software.

If any of that works, hooray. If they don't, sorry!

Urhungry
December 29th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Never mind I fixed my problem, it was just being extrmely slow.

NoOneRuleZ
January 9th, 2010, 05:30 AM
If either or both are trying to install on an encrypted drive, it is my memory that the alternate install iso needs to be used.

Nope, it's not an encrypted install. :| I'll try the alternate install, but for some reason, I have a feeling it won't help.

Please:

Ensure that your DVD-drive is 4x speed or higher (one can assume that nowadays anyways...),
That your HD is not set up to AHCI mode, and if it is, set it to IDE mode (I had to do this),
In your BIOS, that a password is not required upon boot/start-up, this may be a cause for freezing upon accessing the HD.

Other things you may consider trying, however I doubt have anything to do (merely for performance, freezings):
De-fragging your hard-drive,
De-fragmenting it,
Unplugging external USB devices/jacks,
Going offline (unplugging ethernet cables/wireless adapter/wireless card/putting off the wireless interruptor in your comp),
Running anti-virus software.

If any of that works, hooray. If they don't, sorry!

Yes, my DVD-drive has a write speed of 12x, and a read speed of 48x. I will try your other suggestions.

EDIT: Other suggestions didn't work either. :/

Greg17
January 9th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Hej

I have exactly the same problem as described in the first post. This happens wether the hard drive on which I wan to install Ubuntu is plugged or not.

I tried to install Fedora as well, and the problem seems to be the same (freeze when the logo is on during loading)

It would be great if someone could help!!

Greg17
January 10th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Same thng with Linux Mint, and when trying with Ubuntu 9.04, it blocked on the first graphic screen, with the arrow in the iddle which doesn't move with the mouse.

Still no ideas???

NoOneRuleZ
January 10th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I think I have found the culprit. I looked at my BIOS configuration, and I believe this may have something to do with it:

Primary Master: -
Primary Slave: DVD Drive
Secondary Master: -
Secondary Slave: Hard drive
Tertiary Master: -
Tertiary Slave: -

FYI, I get the same problem with all Linux distributions.

Greg17
January 10th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Ok, I solved it: I read somewhere on this forum about someone having the same problem (very deep in the pages!!)
He removed his Wireless card and it worked, so I did the same and I could boot Mint live (but then I installed Ubuntu)

Hope it can help...

NoOneRuleZ
January 10th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Ok, I solved it: I read somewhere on this forum about someone having the same problem (very deep in the pages!!)
He removed his Wireless card and it worked, so I did the same and I could boot Mint live (but then I installed Ubuntu)

Hope it can help...

:O! Wireless card, eh? Hmm... Actually, I did install one recently... I'll check and see if it works.

EDIT: I removed it, and it worked! Thank you!

NoOneRuleZ
March 15th, 2010, 02:58 AM
Well, now, I want to use the Internet while booting into Linux. Any ideas why the loading screen freezes while starting Linux? The wireless card works perfectly in Windows, so I don't believe it's a hardware conflict.

It's a Zonet ZEW1605 PCI wireless card.

ElRonHubbard
June 27th, 2010, 07:29 PM
I am having a similar problem with a realtek Zonet ZEW1605 wireless card. I installed this card and driver and it worked once and then when i started my computer again, it froze during boot. If I remove the PCI card it starts normally. SOMEONE HELP i need this wireless card.