PDA

View Full Version : Server and desktop OS advice

matthewhughes
November 22nd, 2009, 08:48 PM
Hello all,

I recently came into ownership of a Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook C1020. On my main computer, I run Windows Vista (soon to be 7) and Ubuntu in a Wubi dual-boot configuration. On my new computer, I intend to run two *nix OS' in a dual boot configuration for two entirely different tasks. One will be basic office tasks and web browsing. I've looked at Fluxbuntu and CrunchBang Linux, and they appeal due to being lightweight and responsive, especially on such an old-low powered machine. The second will be for running LAMP and maybe Samba, and hooking up to a switch to practice penetration testing (I do a course in ethical hacking at Northumbria University).

I want something that will be snappy and fun to use and practice on.

Can you recommend some distros to use?

Cheers,
Matt

snowpine
November 24th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Hi Matt,

I would not recommend Fluxbuntu (it reached its "end of life" in April and is no longer supported), but Crunchbang is an excellent, lightweight Ubuntu remix. Here is a thread about Crunchbang on the Lifebook: http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic/918/install-suggestions-fujitsu-lifebook/

For your server needs, Ubuntu Server is of course a possibility. I also feel that Red Hat/CentOS or Debian would be excellent choices.

Good luck!

Diluted
November 24th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I would second the choice of CentOS as a server. If you are going to run a server, be prepared to read a lot. :)

CharlesA
November 24th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Ubuntu server as well as CentOS and Debian get my vote as well.