PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Trying to upgrade from 8.10 to 9.10

blindape
November 22nd, 2009, 08:40 PM
Hi, I've had Ubuntu 8.10 with a wubi install since Feb 09. I would like to upgrade it to 9.10, however I have a couple of issues/questions. A few weeks ago, when I booted onto windows, it was unable to read the d: drive partition of my hard-drive which the wubi install is on. I have no problem booting to ubuntu and whenever I do a chkdsk in windows it says the drive is fine, but when i try to read the drive or uninstall the 8.10 wubi is says the drive is corrupted or unreadable. Since I was intending to do a full dual boot install with 9.10 this didn't seem to bad as I could just reformat the partition and then install 9.10. my only concern is if the wubi version isn't properly uninstalled, how will that affect the MBR on windows when I start up, will the new install write over the MBR and replace the reference to the 8.10 wubi install or will MBR still register the 8.10 wubi install when starting up and cause issues when trying to boot to 9.10? If so what can I do to clean up the MBR on windows?
I know these questions may seem a little premature but judging from use of the live cd 9.10 seems to work more smoothly with my computer than 8.10 which has been crashing a lot when the screen gets locked, so I would like to upgrade asap, but I don't have a lot of time to spend trying to fix up a new installation.

regards,

John Curwood