PDA

View Full Version : Best Powerpoint application for Linux?

Eagles18
November 22nd, 2009, 05:30 PM
I have tried the Open Office and the K powerpoint applications,but they don't do well with powerpoint presentations created with PP 2007.

Eagles18
November 27th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Anyone?

Excedio
November 27th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Anyone?

Sorry dude...I use Open Office.

Nerd King
November 27th, 2009, 03:59 PM
The problem with the 2007 format is it no longer embeds the template in the file like the older 2003 one did. As MS own the copyright, OO or anyone else can only make a rough approximation of the template. It's sneaky, I'll give them that.

Praxicoide
November 27th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Doe pptview (under wine) display them correctly? It's in the multiverse repos.

gnomeuser
November 27th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I tend to use Google Docs for these abominations. Really a slideshow I can't watch online or get as a PDF file is pretty useless to me. I don't want to open up a whole editor and complications involving struggling cpus and hair pulling, I want a slick easy display app. I am perfectly capable of starting said annoying editor when I want to CREATE a slideshow.

Eagles18
November 27th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Oh well,I guess I'll have to keep running Windows.Thanks for the info,guys :)

Nerd King
November 28th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Powerpoint works ok in wine by the way.

Exodist
November 28th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Install Sun VirtualBox with WinXP or what not. Then install and run Office on XP.
Yea it sounds little crazy looking at it. But having VirtualBox installed with XP running on it saves you on some of those few headaches out there.

drawkcab
November 28th, 2009, 06:21 AM
I use ppt all the time and the alternatives just don't stack up. I keep an xp partition alive on my laptop for gaming and office 2007. On the netbook I use wine.

Eagles18
November 29th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Powerpoint works ok in wine by the way.
I couldn't get PPT 2007 to work.Can you share how you got it to work?

Nerd King
November 29th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I used Codeweavers Crossover (an adapted version of Wine) myself, but the instructions at http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=4992 also work in my experience.

Eagles18
November 29th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I used Codeweavers Crossover (an adapted version of Wine) myself, but the instructions at http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=4992 also work in my experience.
Is there a way I can get it to work on Ubuntu even though the program is in my Windows partition?Every time I click on the exe nothing happens.

Praxicoide
November 29th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I'm assuming you tried pptview and it didn't work?

Eagles18
November 29th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I'm assuming you tried pptview and it didn't work?
Yea,it isn't too good for me.

kariseena
April 4th, 2013, 01:46 AM
I have tried the Open Office and the K powerpoint applications,but they don't do well with powerpoint presentations created with PP 2007.

I just downloaded Open Office. I haven't tried it just yet and I will let you know how it goes.
Perhaps try Open Office next. It is free and works with Linux.

lisati
April 4th, 2013, 01:56 AM
I just downloaded Open Office. I haven't tried it just yet and I will let you know how it goes.
Perhaps try Open Office next. It is free and works with Linux.

These days, Libre Office comes by default.

And by the way, the forum rules have this to say:

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.