PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrade reinstall

soni1770
November 22nd, 2009, 04:57 PM
ok, i'm running 9.10 32 bit with just one partition, (9.10 and home are together)

i'm going to install 9.10 64 bit

if i do a manual install and make 2 seperate partitions
1 for home, 1 for 9.10

does this mean when i do a fresh install to 10.04 i can just keep my home directory with things like wallpaper, screen layout remaining

i think all the extra programs will disapear , true?

i like to do fresh install as this makes for less problems i think.

so, if i change from 32 to 64 bit how big should each partition be?

i have a 250gb hdd.

how much space does ubuntu need, if i add extra programs do they all go on ubuntu partition?

well, thanks for anyones who can help,

thanks,

regards
soni1770

Diabolis
November 22nd, 2009, 05:46 PM
Yes, you are right.

If you install new software, it will go to the root, Ubuntu, partition.
Having a separate partition for your home folder will allow you to keep all your settings through different installations.

I suggest:
5-7GB for root
5-7GB for home
And the rest for a storage partition which should be formated as EXT3. It has been discovered that EXT4 will corrupt files larger than 512mb, so movies and .iso files are at risk and they are likely to be stored in a "storage" partition.

soni1770
November 22nd, 2009, 06:03 PM
hi Diabolis,

ok,
so it's prob a good idea to have seperate partitions as i can keep my layout, background and so forth.

but can i ask,

do i need a home and a storage partiton, would just a home work the same,

now i have a lot of files greater than 512mb, both on my internal hdd and also a 1tb external hdd,

both of these hdd are ext4 and i have not had any major problems, no corrupt files at all and i have 100's of large files,

there all backed up on a 1tb ntfs external hdd as well, just in case,

so i guess my question is

will just 2 partions work,

1 home
1 root/buntu.

cheers

Diabolis
November 22nd, 2009, 06:14 PM
Sure, 2 partitions will work fine. Its a matter of what works best for you. What I suggested is how I installed it. I rather have a storage partition that is always clean of configuration files etc.

Even when a separate home partition is made to be able to keep settings through different installations, sometimes I wipe it out because I mess too much with the config files. Also I might have many distros installed at once, so I can access the storage partition from different Linuxes with different users.

soni1770
November 22nd, 2009, 06:19 PM
cool cool,

cheers for your help,

i'll have a think about what to do,
going to go to 64 bit tomorrow.

thanks