PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Reverting to Grub1 Can't grub-install

motsteve
November 22nd, 2009, 02:13 PM
I'm following Kansasnoob's fine explanation on:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1298932

and I can't get past the part for installing grub with the grub-install command. I was DIW (dead in the water), so I chose to use Linux-rescue. I mounted my partition and chrooted into it. I accomplished all the steps up to the grub-install, but I get an error message telling me that /dev/sdb is not a block device. Obviously /dev doesn't contain /sdb. I tried mounting proc, but that failed. I'm at the end of my Linux knowledge here. Help!

BTW, my system is multiboot and was totally operational until grub2 came along in Karmic. Believe me, I'm not complaining, but grub2 has some tweeks coming I guess to make it work as well as grub.

motsteve
November 24th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Thanks for no response. It's obvious how friendly this forum is. Guess what? I'll learn Linux another way. Flame away. If you want to talk, email me.

coffeecat
November 24th, 2009, 01:22 PM
You might do well to read the first post in this link:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=82471

At the moment your anger hurts only yourself.

cutterjohn
November 24th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Something which I added to the above thread, try checking on the IRC channels to see if there's anyone there who might be able to help you out. There's usually someone there who can help with just about any problem, though YMMV.

motsteve
November 25th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I've checked, etc. I know the rules. There has to be 100 people out there that know more about Linux than me. So why doesn't someone just say "You dumb cluck, just do this?" I've checked, etc. I know the rules. There has to be 100 people out there that know more about Linux than me. So why doesn't someone just say "You don't cluck, just do this?" I was an rf design engineer for 30 years, I never treated questions as silly. I just answered them. It never hurt me. Not once. This is not a contest.

kelvin spratt
November 25th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks for no response. It's obvious how friendly this forum is. Guess what? I'll learn Linux another way. Flame away. If you want to talk, email me.

Do you really expect people to rush to help you with this sort of attitude.