PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft, but Why?, Ubuntu is so much Better! :)

GreenDance
November 22nd, 2009, 01:37 PM
I am surprised, I have been looking in other forums and some people choose to install Microsoft Windows illegally. When I made the change from Microsoft to Linux (Ubuntu) I've never looked back. Ubuntu and the Ubuntu community are fantastic, the community forum is like it's own little family, people helping each other in many ways, I've found Ubuntu to be far more stable than when I was using Windows, many times I would have to reset windows because it would crash, Ubuntu is so stable, then there's drivers, I remember installing my printer on Windows, it would take around 6 minutes to setup, now when I setup my printer on Ubuntu, it's like the true meaning of Plug-and-Play, I plugged my printer in, and less than 30 seconds later it was setup ready to use, my jaw fell to the flaw, this in itself made me love Ubuntu even more, the software available for Ubuntu is outstanding, the Ubuntu Software Center basically has everything one would need, no messing about having to spend hours searching on Google, I remember spending many of hours searching for some program on Google, and also the software for Ubuntu is Free, not only the Operating System but everything I could ever want is Free, I love Ubuntu and it's community so much, I'm proud I've never looked back, my next task is to help as I learn, also to spread the Ubuntu message to people.

dragos240
November 22nd, 2009, 02:00 PM
There are multiple reasons. Most people don't know what Linux is, let alone ubuntu. People don't care what's on their disk, as long as it somewhat works. There are programs that do not have an alternative in linux, and cannot run in wine. And of course, who can resist those Blue screens, it's the main reason I couldn't keep away from windows. But now I like Linux better.

-grubby
November 22nd, 2009, 02:04 PM
Needs, Preferences.

ZankerH
November 22nd, 2009, 02:07 PM
the software for Ubuntu is Free, not only the Operating System but everything I could ever want is Free, I love Ubuntu and it's community so much, I'm proud I've never looked back, my next task is to help as I learn, also to spread the Ubuntu message to people.

You may be confusing Free software with free software. The Ubuntu software distribution of the GNU/Linux operating system in fact does contain some non-Free software, and even more non-Free software is included in its repositories, endorsed officially by the Canonical corporation. For a fully Free "remix" of the Ubuntu software distribution of the GNU/Linux operating system, see the gNewSense (http://www.gnewsense.org/) software distribution of the GNU/Linux operating system.

Diluted
November 22nd, 2009, 02:08 PM
It's worth noting that even if you have hardware that works perfectly with Ubuntu, it doesn't mean it will work perfectly for the rest of the world. I could have hardware that is incompatible with Linux but works perfectly with Vista.

That being said, I believe the reason is that Windows is able to satisfy other needs which Linux does not.

Prodigal Son
November 22nd, 2009, 02:38 PM
Windows would crash ? I haven't had a single crash or BSoD for the past 4 years. About what kind of stability we are talking here ?

MiCK.ca
November 22nd, 2009, 02:49 PM
ahhh. The Blue Screen of Death. A nice memory of Microsoft and how that screen would warm me chilly digits on a cold winters night. the hours spent caring for the young box and it's constant illness from virus and walware. The endless talks dealing with its insecurities because it thought someone was always spying on it. ahhh. Miscosoft, I'll miss ya me virus ridden, overpriced, insecure heaping piece of s**t.

I'm sorry got a little carried away with fond memories. Linux let the light shine. Linux let the wallet breathe again. Linux gave my poor PC a new leash on life! Thank you Thank you Thank you Linus!!!!!

dragos240
November 22nd, 2009, 02:57 PM
ahhh. The Blue Screen of Death. A nice memory of Microsoft and how that screen would warm me chilly digits on a cold winters night. the hours spent caring for the young box and it's constant illness from virus and walware. The endless talks dealing with its insecurities because it thought someone was always spying on it. ahhh. Miscosoft, I'll miss ya me virus ridden, overpriced, insecure heaping piece of s**t.

I'm sorry got a little carried away with fond memories. Linux let the light shine. Linux let the wallet breathe again. Linux gave my poor PC a new leash on life! Thank you Thank you Thank you Linus!!!!!

hahahahahahahha

SuperSonic4
November 22nd, 2009, 02:57 PM
Windows would crash ? I haven't had a single crash or BSoD for the past 4 years. About what kind of stability we are talking here ?

Remember the ubuntu motto: never let facts get in the way of microsoft bashing

quinntar
November 22nd, 2009, 03:14 PM
Actually we must confess that many people wants to keep their windows licence, may it be legal or not to be "sure" to make their computer work... at least like they always knew...

Even if I'm definitely a pro-linux user/defender and even though I advise linux desktops each time someone tells me "euh I've got a virus again on my computer what could I do to fix it..." I have to say that time to time it's not as user friendly as Mac or even Windows (I should be burnt to have said that I know ahahah), I mean not about the system itself so linux is not that concerned but about the desktops themselves...
uncompatibilty with some applications like flash players(no full support with amd64 for example), movie editors, actually some user friendly applications... and hardware...(printers...etc...installing with command lines for non expert users) (still no native DVD reading support in Ubuntu (without installing the famous libdvdcss... (which means nothing to the common mortal people)

Linux distros suffer from their "elite computering" or "hard to use and to install" old fashioned image as well as of the forest of linux distributions that exist.
that's mainly why, I think, many people prefer windows to any other OS (even if I do not agree with that, it seems to be a fact...)

Anyway I will continue to advise linux desktops :)

Digikid
November 22nd, 2009, 03:22 PM

:lolflag: Funny as hell!!!!!!

clanky
November 22nd, 2009, 07:36 PM
I am surprised, I have been looking in other forums and some people choose to install Microsoft Windows illegally. When I made the change from Microsoft to Linux (Ubuntu) I've never looked back. Ubuntu and the Ubuntu community are fantastic, the community forum is like it's own little family, people helping each other in many ways, I've found Ubuntu to be far more stable than when I was using Windows, many times I would have to reset windows because it would crash, Ubuntu is so stable, then there's drivers, I remember installing my printer on Windows, it would take around 6 minutes to setup, now when I setup my printer on Ubuntu, it's like the true meaning of Plug-and-Play, I plugged my printer in, and less than 30 seconds later it was setup ready to use, my jaw fell to the flaw, this in itself made me love Ubuntu even more, the software available for Ubuntu is outstanding, the Ubuntu Software Center basically has everything one would need, no messing about having to spend hours searching on Google, I remember spending many of hours searching for some program on Google, and also the software for Ubuntu is Free, not only the Operating System but everything I could ever want is Free, I love Ubuntu and it's community so much, I'm proud I've never looked back, my next task is to help as I learn, also to spread the Ubuntu message to people.

Apart from the fact that there wasn't a single reference to M$ or ******* in there that would have been a total facepalm.

People use Windows because it does what they need it to do, any OS is only as good as the things it will do, and unfortunately Linux is nowhere close to Windows in terms of the ability to do useful stuff.

Before anyone starts typing the standard "that's not Ubuntu's fault" reply, it doesn't matter whose fault it is, if I can't do what I have to do in one OS then I need to use another.

and also the software for Ubuntu is Free, not only the Operating System but everything I could ever want is Free

So long as you never want to use a half decent CAD package.

also to spread the Ubuntu message to people.

Why? If Linux works for you use it and enjoy it, but why evangelise about it? Just like any other religion your friends may not want to hear about your conversion.

quinnten83
November 22nd, 2009, 07:47 PM
Apart from the fact that there wasn't a single reference to M$ or ******* in there that would have been a total facepalm.

People use Windows because it does what they need it to do, any OS is only as good as the things it will do, and unfortunately Linux is nowhere close to Windows in terms of the ability to do useful stuff.

Before anyone starts typing the standard "that's not Ubuntu's fault" reply, it doesn't matter whose fault it is, if I can't do what I have to do in one OS then I need to use another.

So long as you never want to use a half decent CAD package.

Why? If Linux works for you use it and enjoy it, but why evangelise about it? Just like any other religion your friends may not want to hear about your conversion.

Or they never realizes there might be an alternative that is good for them. Telling people that there are options is not evangelising, it's giving information.
Obviously the people mentioned that they had another problem with their windows computers.
Also unless you are an engineer you have very little use for CAD.
So in some instances windows will work for you, but I bet that for the vast majority Linux and specifically Ubuntu will do just fine.

clanky
November 22nd, 2009, 08:02 PM
Or they never realizes there might be an alternative that is good for them. Telling people that there are options is not evangelising, it's giving information.
Obviously the people mentioned that they had another problem with their windows computers.
Also unless you are an engineer you have very little use for CAD.
So in some instances windows will work for you, but I bet that for the vast majority Linux and specifically Ubuntu will do just fine.

Yes there are times when Linux is not only a viable option, but the best option, but the original question was about why anyone would choose to install Windows. I wasn't tying to imply that Linux is not a viable alternative to Windows in some cases, but that there are lots of reasons why people would use Windows.

I would dispute "the vast majority" though, there are many more things than CAD for which, at present, there is no viable Linux alternative for (again, I know it's not Linux's fault, but that doesn't matter if you need to use certain software which only runs on Windows)

And as for evangelism, the last sentence of the OP was "and also spread the Ubuntu message to people", that sounds like evangelism to me.

I am not bashing Linux, but at the same time I think people need to be realistic about the fact that as much as they may personally dislike Windows others find it the most useful tool for doing the things they need to do, this doesn't make them bad people, it doesn't mean that they hate freedom, it means they use different software to you.

pwnst*r
November 22nd, 2009, 08:07 PM
recurring --->

andymorton
November 22nd, 2009, 08:44 PM

Hilarious!!!! :D:D:D:D

pwnst*r
November 22nd, 2009, 08:48 PM
lol @ "a new leash on life". doesn't sound very "free" now, does it? ;P

koleoptero
November 22nd, 2009, 09:17 PM

Epic.

Lemmy's Wart
November 22nd, 2009, 11:52 PM
A simple and quick question to all those that responded to this guy's rather naive enthusiasm for Linux and Ubuntu in particular (it's not worth a new thread).

What is your primary OS?gl

clanky
November 22nd, 2009, 11:58 PM
What is your primary OS?gl

Windows XP / Vista / Hopefully soon to be 7

Why?

earthpigg
November 23rd, 2009, 12:02 AM
Microsoft Windows is currently the best video game console platform in existence.

Lemmy's Wart
November 23rd, 2009, 12:14 AM
Windows XP / Vista / Hopefully soon to be 7

Why?

Just an observation, nothing you should be concerned about.

Sorry to bother you.

LinuxFanBoi
November 23rd, 2009, 02:09 AM
There is only one thing I use Windows for, Multi player Call of Duty 4. And if one day Punkbuster runs on wine, then Windows will be no more.

stinger30au
November 23rd, 2009, 03:59 AM
Remember the ubuntu motto: never let facts get in the way of microsoft bashing

lol

stinger30au
November 23rd, 2009, 04:02 AM
Microsoft Windows is currently the best video game console platform in existence.

gee i dunno about that

if you buy a xbox 360, and a sony PS3, and nintendo wii, and say a 60 inch lcd, you'd be pretty close to having the best system in yer neighborhood ;)

lol!

JDShu
November 23rd, 2009, 04:09 AM
gee i dunno about that

if you buy a xbox 360, and a sony PS3, and nintendo wii, and say a 60 inch lcd, you'd be pretty close to having the best system in yer neighborhood ;)

lol!

Thats a very good point in the sense that consoles trump PCs in gaming nowadays.

earthpigg
November 23rd, 2009, 06:14 AM
Thats a very good point in the sense that consoles trump PCs in gaming nowadays.

proprietary or not, ill always turn to keyboard+mouse when i feel like being semi-serious about gaming...

...which hasn't been for a few years.

Ylon
November 23rd, 2009, 11:42 AM
I put it simple:

Windows is consider "normal"... it comes with every PC and you even did know what the hell is it.

"Windows is PC.
Ubuntu/Linux is.... something else."

"Windows is the normal
Ubuntu/Linux is for... people into informatics."

"If you can't do something with Windows is... your fault.
"If you can't do something with Ubuntu/Linux is... because Linux is too complicated."

How many copies of Windows were sold in the world? No one will really pay for Windows (they simply do not know actually they are). The only copy Microsoft did sell (I mean, when people REALLY realize they are giving money to MS) are updates... and only to "revitalize" their old PC.

The assembled PC with Windows were mostly pirated Windows.

garikaib
November 23rd, 2009, 11:49 AM
Most software and hardware cos are wino-centric. As a result most people would run an illegal copy of windows.

lancest
November 23rd, 2009, 12:15 PM
there is no viable Linux alternative for .
There is no viable Windows alternative for the Ubuntu software repositories.

clanky
November 23rd, 2009, 12:41 PM
There is no viable Windows alternative for the Ubuntu software repositories.

They are called shops.

mmix
November 23rd, 2009, 12:51 PM
Because,
Graphic quality is better,
COM is gr8,
I earned my money from windows-based application,

I am an genuine-windows-xp user.

lancest
November 23rd, 2009, 12:52 PM
They are called shops.
And thankfully I don't have to increase my carbon footprint or waste my money going to them.