PDA

View Full Version : Need to read info from file (bash-noob)

helgman
February 20th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Hi!

I've been bangning my head trying to figure this out but now I'm about to give up. I need to get information from a file and then use it to make new users on my system. The file with the users looks something like this:

Username FirstName LastName Group Password

My question is, how do I extract the information from the file and then use it to add the users? My plan is to add the user with useradd [Userrname] -c [FirstName],[LastName ] -g [Group] (does this have to be GID?), then do a passwd [Username]. (Guess my first question should be if this way is even possible.)

I don't really need a complete script, just a kick in the right direction (I need to learn this).

helgman
February 20th, 2006, 12:52 PM
I might have figured it out ... cut seems to be what I am looking for. *fingers crossed*

nagilum
February 20th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Yes, cut -f <column> is the easiest way to do this. Although it by default only splits at TAB characters, if you want spaces the additional paramter -d " " is needed. If you want to mix spaces and TABs 'awk' might be the better choice. It can split a line like yours with awk '{ print $<column> }'.