PDA

View Full Version : Interesting

samh785
November 22nd, 2009, 07:38 AM
I find it very interesting that I can run 1080p AVI files in vlc 30 FPS fullscreen(highest I've tested and I bet it would go higher), but if I try to run the same video at the same resolution I have to deal with choppy video. Shame adobe can't get their act together.

Edit:
The video runs at a higher fps in my XP install... in virtual box.

3rdalbum
November 22nd, 2009, 08:18 AM
I assume you mean that it's choppy if you play it in Flash Player. True. Not sure exactly what causes this.

Frak
November 22nd, 2009, 08:47 AM
I assume you mean that it's choppy if you play it in Flash Player. True. Not sure exactly what causes this.
I'll say this the best way I can:

Poor Optimisation.

The Linux and Mac version of Flash are terrible compared to the Windows version. Hell, even Silverlight and Moonlight do a better job than Flash does at showing videos at 1080p without hiccups. Moonlight can do it with the Open Source ATi driver on my machine with very little hiccups (x1600). That's right, moonlight, that open source project by Novell does it better than Flash from great big Adobe.

I can see Adobe not putting much effort into Linux, considering the marketshare, but it's just as bad in Mac as well, which is just a shame.

samh785
November 22nd, 2009, 03:30 PM
I'll say this the best way I can:

Poor Optimisation.

The Linux and Mac version of Flash are terrible compared to the Windows version. Hell, even Silverlight and Moonlight do a better job than Flash does at showing videos at 1080p without hiccups. Moonlight can do it with the Open Source ATi driver on my machine with very little hiccups (x1600). That's right, moonlight, that open source project by Novell does it better than Flash from great big Adobe.

I can see Adobe not putting much effort into Linux, considering the marketshare, but it's just as bad in Mac as well, which is just a shame.
Seriously? It's just as bad in Mac? What a bunch of jokers. That's a significant amount of people when you start adding all of the Mac users with the Linux users.