PDA

View Full Version : What makes a program 'powerful'?

SLEEPER_V
November 22nd, 2009, 06:27 AM
As a noob, I have always wondered what makes one program 'powerful' and another not so powerful. Anyone care to give an opinion?

Psumi
November 22nd, 2009, 06:32 AM
When it becomes widely used.

IE: Windows.

Frak
November 22nd, 2009, 06:55 AM
I think it's subjective, but to me it would be the ability to fully complete the job with very little to no error. For instance, AutoCAD isn't easy to use for somebody who has never done CAD work, but for those of us who have, it's a very powerful piece of software. The terminal, some of us know how to use it to it's full potential, and for that it's powerful.

samh785
November 22nd, 2009, 06:55 AM
As a noob, I have always wondered what makes one program 'powerful' and another not so powerful. Anyone care to give an opinion?
I interpret it as meaning that the program is faster, or can do more than competing software that attempts to accomplish a similar task.

JDShu
November 22nd, 2009, 07:07 AM
When it can do Lots of Stuff

Xbehave
November 22nd, 2009, 07:33 AM
+1 it's that simple

lisati
November 22nd, 2009, 07:54 AM

A good program is easy to use and gets the job done.

amingv
November 22nd, 2009, 08:06 AM
I'd say: It's a program that does it job well and, to it's user, better than the alternatives. So I agree with Frak that it's subjective.

This can be different for every kind of program: a powerful compiler may optimize code and reduce compiling time; a powerful word processor may be compatible with a wide range of formats, work cleanly and maybe even have some form of artificial intelligence to correct grammar/spelling according to context; a powerful file compressor shrinks the files the most, in less time and with the least possible losses; and so forth.

3rdalbum
November 22nd, 2009, 08:17 AM

+2 (as long as it's relevant to the task).

Xbehave
November 22nd, 2009, 08:51 AM
A good program is easy to use and gets the job done.

+2 (as long as it's relevant to the task).
ease of use is not a requirement for power, for good perhaps but for power functionality tumps all. e.g the linux is much more powerful than os X

JBAlaska
November 22nd, 2009, 08:57 AM
Being able to fully utilize CPUs with multiple multithreading cores...While running on a dead badger..

lisati
November 22nd, 2009, 09:01 AM
ease of use is not a requirement for power, <snip>
But it helps..... It's no good having a program with all the most wonderful bells and whistles you could possibly need if you can't figure out how to use it.

SLEEPER_V
November 22nd, 2009, 05:23 PM

the how come programs are called 'simple, but powerful'?

JDShu
November 22nd, 2009, 09:00 PM
the how come programs are called 'simple, but powerful'?

Is there a problem with that?

ticopelp
November 22nd, 2009, 09:13 PM
Stability, usability, flexbility, extensibility, support. Not necessarily in that order.

Barrucadu
November 22nd, 2009, 10:03 PM
When it can do more or less all things in its particular niche you could want to do, and do them well and efficiently.

eg: ffmpeg is powerful as you can do pretty much everything you could want to do with audio/video files with the right combination of parameters. imagemagick is powerful because it provides programs to do, again, pretty much everything you could want to do with image files. MS Paint is not powerful as it can only do a tiny subset of what you could want to do with image files.

SLEEPER_V
November 22nd, 2009, 10:11 PM
Is there a problem with that?
no, but it means your definition is inaccurate, unless there is some meaning in your definition that I am missing.

JDShu
November 22nd, 2009, 10:23 PM
no, but it means your definition is inaccurate, unless there is some meaning in your definition that I am missing.

haha "Simple, but powerful" using my definition, would mean "Simple, but does Lots of Stuff". Simple in the context probably means "Easy to Use". So substituting this definition in, you would get:

"Easy to Use, but does Lots of Stuff"

SLEEPER_V
November 22nd, 2009, 11:16 PM
haha "Simple, but powerful" using my definition, would mean "Simple, but does Lots of Stuff". Simple in the context probably means "Easy to Use". So substituting this definition in, you would get:

"Easy to Use, but does Lots of Stuff"

that makes sense.