PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] never upgrade!

fjm03
November 22nd, 2009, 12:53 AM
Never upgrade. Always clean install.

Since Upgrade has been available through the Update Manager, the automated process has resulted in broken code and missing dependencies.

This time around, upgrade broke samba, VMware Server, and Xsane support for a Canon Lide25. These are not trivial screw ups. The fixes have taken hours of research and lots of luck.

I've learned my lesson. Never again!

florus
November 22nd, 2009, 01:16 AM
I agree that a fresh install is always best, but I have had good results on upgrades so long as the original install is fully patched and working perfectly. Any minor glitches tend to be magnified by an upgrade.
The best advice is always create a separate /home partition.

Zoot7
November 22nd, 2009, 01:19 AM
Upgrades have a deserved bad reputation, on all OS's. Most (including myself) will always recommend a clean install.
i learned my lesson after Hardy -> Intrepid broke everything (it was the first and last time I upgraded). Now my answer is to keep /home on a separate partition and run AptonCd before I do the clean install aswell, makes restoring a borked system relatively painless. :)

phillw
November 22nd, 2009, 01:20 AM
Never upgrade. Always clean install.

Since Upgrade has been available through the Update Manager, the automated process has resulted in broken code and missing dependencies.

This time around, upgrade broke samba, VMware Server, and Xsane support for a Canon Lide25. These are not trivial screw ups. The fixes have taken hours of research and lots of luck.

I've learned my lesson. Never again!

Where as mine, with a full LAMP installation went horribly well. Not so much as a chipped finger-nail. All web-pages , Ossec security module etc ... all happy bunnies

Sorry to hear you had problems.

Phill.

note32
November 22nd, 2009, 01:24 AM
i agree, back up data and fresh install;)