PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cannot install grub 2

thisfreaks
November 21st, 2009, 10:49 PM
Hi guys,

I'm new to Linux and I'm having a bit of trouble getting things to work. I downloaded and installed Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit without trouble. However, I can't seem to get GRUB2 to work so that I can boot into my new OS. I already have Windows 7 installed and my computer boots into that every time. I have a "fake raid" set up, but I don't know if that's what's giving me trouble because the array shows up during the installation process and in Gparted. When I try to install dmraid, I am told it's already installed and up-to-date.

I've been referencing this:
http://members.iinet.net/~herman546/p20/GRUB2%20Bash%20Commands.html (http://members.iinet.net/%7Eherman546/p20/GRUB2%20Bash%20Commands.html)

I've been trying to run the commands from a LiveUSB of Ubuntu. I've tried the three methods for installing listed in that guide, but each returns errors. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or there is genuinely a problem going on.

A friend who has been using Linux for a few months told me that I should download an older version of Ubuntu with which to install an older version of Grub... Is that really the solution?

Please help!

jaden93
November 21st, 2009, 10:51 PM
when you were installing ubuntu 9.10, at the end of the installation did you press skip? if so you most reinstall ubuntu 9.10 and do NOT press skip.

darkod
November 21st, 2009, 10:53 PM
There are issues with fake raid. Just to let you know, sorry I don't have more experience with that to help.

PS. For LVM and RAID installation the Alternate CD needs to be used. I think that can work for you.

thisfreaks
November 21st, 2009, 11:08 PM
I'll try the Alternate CD. Downloading it now. Thanks!

thisfreaks
November 22nd, 2009, 12:30 AM
The Alternate CD does not work either. When I get to the step that installs the boot loader, the install bar gets to 16% and then goes back to the menu for the installation. It gives me the option to install the LILO boot loader, but from what I understand, you shouldn't use that one for newer versions of Linux.

I'm back to square one.