PDA

View Full Version : Is Ubuntu really for everyone?

xxhopingtearsxx
November 21st, 2009, 10:41 PM
Ever since I switched to Ubuntu, and was forced to use it as my only operating system since Windows Vista suddenly won't work (it says that I have the wrong activation code.. I activated it months ago. What?). While I can easily get Vista back, I decided to just use Ubuntu.. see how it's like to use another operating system without Windows behind my back.. and I never switched back. Ubuntu has everything I need, if there's a problem, I love when I finally figure out how to fix it. It's faster, more customizable.

But I couldn't help but feel I don't belong.. I feel that Ubuntu is just for programmers and I'm just using Ubuntu to it's basics. Why? I don't even know what a repository is. When I google up Linux or Ubuntu, I will see articles about hacking or programming or something indescribable. My friends that use Linux are programmers, hackers.. the guy who told me about Ubuntu in the first place is now making fun of the fact that I'm using it instead of Gentoo, which apparently was very difficult for him to install. I'm just an average user. All I do is chat, go on flickr, tweet, pretend I like Facebook when actually I'm too addicted to Twitter. I didn't want to switch to Ubuntu for a long time just because the default theme was ugly. Can a person like me use Ubuntu?

Edit: And please don't give me the, "We're not forcing you to switch" post or, "Just switch to Windows again if you don't feel like you belong.." that's not what I want.

Bios Element
November 21st, 2009, 10:43 PM
Are Computers really for everything? Are Beds really for everyone?

Those both have the same answer as your question. And let the debates begin...

:popcorn:

xxhopingtearsxx
November 21st, 2009, 10:46 PM
Are Beds really for everyone?

If by "everyone" do you also mean cats?

Irihapeti
November 21st, 2009, 10:47 PM
Sounds like those people are trying to make themselves feel better by putting other people down.

No one was born knowing anything about computers. They need to start at the beginning at some stage - some people seem to forget that.

The choice is yours. You can use Ubuntu at any level you like. One member of my family just uses it without knowing any of the technical details. Someone else does the technical stuff on that computer, which nowadays only involves running the updates.

davec64
November 21st, 2009, 10:47 PM
The simple thing is, you've got it doing what you want to do! :)

You don't have to go any further if you don't want to. In time you might want to try another distro just for fun and see how they might do things differently.

The benfit of Linux IMHO is you can take it as far as you want!

Just keep enjoying it! :)

SunnyRabbiera
November 21st, 2009, 10:48 PM
Well I personally consider myself a "average user", as I use my computer for the following things:

Internet
Home Office
Gaming (basic games like solitaire though, I am not into games like world of warcraft)
Multimedia

With the exception of gaming Linux does a very good job at what one needs.
Even multimedia that can be a little rough to set up sometimes is pretty good in linux.
I dont compile programs, i rarely use the terminal, and I dont program and linux fits the bill for what I need it for.
My hardware setup is just right for it, as is my personal experiences with Linux...
I feel at home with linux.

Shpongle
November 21st, 2009, 10:51 PM
it allows you the freedom to do what you will, you can always learn stuff like programming if you want , its just that a lot of linux users have som of these skills theyre not essentials tho , who cares what your friend uses , once you can do what you need to do and your happy with that then its cool.

RiceMonster
November 21st, 2009, 10:53 PM
Is Ubuntu really for everyone?

No.

Can a person like me use Ubuntu?

Well you're using it, aren't you? I think that can answer the question on its own.

wilee-nilee
November 21st, 2009, 10:54 PM
If you have a legal copy of Vista and the Key call MS and get them to verify it. As far as repositories go it is just where the programs are, some are Ubuntu repositories some are 3rd party like launchpad.

Personally I couldn't hack or crack into my own computer, and hardly use the terminal, although I am familiar with it, and the various commands for all kinds of stuff are all over this forum and on line. There are a few 3rd party programs like Ubuntu Tweak which make life easier for us lazy folk who are not interested in installing or unpacking tars.

ugm6hr
November 21st, 2009, 10:55 PM
Ubuntu, and most Linux distro users, tend to group in communities. It is a shame you feel like you don't belong, since all sorts are accepted here. You are certainly not alone in not being a programmer.

The fact that searching the internet has details regarding advanced techniques & features is hardly surprising, I have no doubt that there is a lot of advanced computer-based stuff for Windows and Macs out there too. There are also a number of sites for Ubuntu beginners: everyone had to start using a computer at some point, no one can be born a "natural" in this respect.

It is a shame that the Linux community as a whole tended to look down on new users, by using derogatory references like "noob" etc, but that kind of attitude is not encouraged here. Funnily enough, I have recently discovered the most basic desktop OS I have ever seen is actually Linux-based... http://www.eldy.eu/

So, in answer to your question... No, Ubuntu is not for everyone. It is clearly not for your friend who uses Gentoo and mocks you... It may not be for a variety of hackers (whatever that means nowadays)... But, if it achieves what you want your computer to do, then clearly, it is for you.

SunnyRabbiera
November 21st, 2009, 10:58 PM
Ahh, clippy!

DIE Clippy, DIE!

Oh sorry, PTSD, I suffered the great Clippy war of 2002
:D

xxhopingtearsxx
November 21st, 2009, 11:05 PM
Ahh, clippy!

No idea what you're talking about, but I read "clingy" at first and tackled my cat. :]

To all of the responses, they were really helpful.

SunnyRabbiera
November 21st, 2009, 11:09 PM
No idea what you're talking about, but I read "clingy" at first and tackled my cat. :]

Clippy is the evil paper clip that appeared in MS office products, to see he is gone in Office 2007 is the only reason I like it as I hate office 2007's ribbon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_Assistant

Irihapeti
November 21st, 2009, 11:14 PM

There's nothing like a cat to help put things into perspective. :)

openuniverse
November 21st, 2009, 11:25 PM

xxhopingtearsxx
November 21st, 2009, 11:32 PM
I have recently found a downfall of Ubuntu. Sometimes my fan is up to it's maximum. I will have to restart and then, it will be to a normal speed.

LinuxFox
November 21st, 2009, 11:34 PM
Quite a story, I think a person could enjoy Ubuntu once they get the hang of it. My mother use to use Windows and got viruses and other problems. When she got it fixed, I put Ubuntu on it as a dual-boot. She didn't like it at first, but within time, she really started to like it. Now she uses Ubuntu for everything, and uses Windows when she needs to.

Everyone is different, so if they can adjust to Ubuntu, then might like it. If not, then they don't. I think it's good for beginners and Linux users alike.

SunnyRabbiera
November 21st, 2009, 11:35 PM
I have recently found a downfall of Ubuntu. Sometimes my fan is up to it's maximum. I will have to restart and then, it will be to a normal speed.

Actually that not might be OS related, it might be there is dust/ dirt in your intake fan.
Is this a laptop or desktop?

xxhopingtearsxx
November 21st, 2009, 11:45 PM
Actually that not might be OS related, it might be there is dust/ dirt in your intake fan.
Is this a laptop or desktop?

The thing that gave me an excuse to throw my desktop into the basement and have a cleaner room, a laptop. :]

SunnyRabbiera
November 21st, 2009, 11:48 PM
The thing that gave me an excuse to throw my desktop into the basement and have a cleaner room, a laptop. :]

Hmm, do you clean your fan?
do you have a can of air for it?
Make sure to clean out your fans, very nasty if you dont keep it clean.

xxhopingtearsxx
November 22nd, 2009, 12:10 AM
It's not really the fan. It's the vent on the side. I don't know if that has anything to do with the fan though. =P Also it never does this on Windows unless I'm running another OS on Virtualbox.

SunnyRabbiera
November 22nd, 2009, 12:19 AM
It's not really the fan. It's the vent on the side. I don't know if that has anything to do with the fan though. =P Also it never does this on Windows unless I'm running another OS on Virtualbox.

Still it might be a fan or overheat issue.
Its hard to say, do you use a chill pad?

K.Mandla
November 22nd, 2009, 12:59 AM
Sounds like those people are trying to make themselves feel better by putting other people down.

No one was born knowing anything about computers. They need to start at the beginning at some stage - some people seem to forget that.

The choice is yours. You can use Ubuntu at any level you like. One member of my family just uses it without knowing any of the technical details. Someone else does the technical stuff on that computer, which nowadays only involves running the updates.
+1 on all points.

laceration
November 22nd, 2009, 02:52 AM
I was cleaning my fans the other day and broke one the fins off--it's lopsided now and it sounds like the Lincoln tunnel here.

Back to the main topic I gotta say people underestimate their abilities. Even ubergeeks are in the dark much of the time just trying to figure stuff out. I would say if you are just trying to figure stuff out, Ubuntu might be for you.

ticopelp
November 22nd, 2009, 03:47 AM
I'm not a programmer, and I use Linux -- I learned it first and foremost so I wouldn't have to fix my computer all the time, keep antivirus updated, be on the alert for the latest Microsoft zero-day vulnerability, etc. I set Ubuntu up how I wanted it, and now it stays out of my way and lets me work.

Something like Gentoo is obviously great for some but definitely not for me; I don't care much for tinkering and compiling if I can at all avoid it.

If it's working for you, use it -- don't worry about what other people have to say about that. If it's not working for you for some reason, maybe something else will work better.

Nerd King
November 22nd, 2009, 03:54 AM
A computer is a tool to do a job. For some people ubuntu will do the job. For some, ubuntu will not (for instance if your preferred software won't work in Wine and there's not a suitable linux alternative).

To help you out.. a repository is like a library, with loads of software. It's all looked after by a librarian (canonical, the company that makes ubuntu, in this case) and therefore won't give you viruses. Using repositories means updates are easy, no viruses, and easy installation.

So you feel you're just using ubuntu to do its basics? Where's the problem? You're using it to do what you want to. It's your computer so who gives a crap what everyone else is doing with theirs. I'm pretty geeky, a programmer, but nowhere near the level of the guys that do kernel hacking for fun. Do I get hung up over it? Not particularly. I'm still learning having started on Hardy, and that's fine by me.

The Gentoo snob.. to be honest you get those. Ignore them. It is a tendency for l33t-geek types to start on ubuntu and graduate to a more difficult distro. The difficulty comes with extra power and flexibility, but honestly for most of us Ubuntu is just fine. Don't let the Gentoo jerk spoil it for you.

Btw if you're a twitter addict you'll find loads of apps to help you. Try System -> Admin -> Synaptic Package Manager and search for twitter, you'll find apps to make your twittering less twatty :)

fizzybrain
November 22nd, 2009, 05:23 AM
I reckon there's a weird bathtub curve of usability.

(sorry, I got a bit carried away here... it's late and I am weary in every way)

Quick version : No.

Long version :

At one end there are (perhaps non-techie) people who are using computers to do the most basic tasks - web browsing and simple office stuff.
They will get on fine with any major operating system (including Linux - and wa-hey - it's free!) as those are the applications which get all the attention (so they work), and they all look much the same these days anyway. ("Hmm, on which platform should I run Openoffice, Gimp, VLC and Firefox? It depends what I want my buttons to look like"). Once they have a working system (and it's always "so-and-so in my family knows nothing about computers and they love linux" - but I bet they are never the one who sets it up or fixes it when it breaks) they will type and tweet and blog and watch till the cows come home.
One could argue that these people are not really using their machines as computers as such - mostly they can be considered to be glorified typewriters, encyclopediae, drawing boards and televisions (clearly a lot of computation is involved in making these happen, but as far as the user is concerned they're just getting access to information and moving it about). They are the Sunday drivers, or the "all I know is that you put petrol/gasoline in here and I press these pedals and it takes me to where I want to go" type.

At the other end there are the people (programmers, for example) who really want/need to use a real powerful system, and they can use Linux. Compiling programs themselves holds no terror for these people and they will make their systems fly like soup off a shovel. These are the type who have tuned their car(s) themselves and make a point of never even driving *near* a mechanic and are halfway through building a sports car from scratch in their sitting room.

In the middle are the people who want to do something a bit different - video editing, for example <teeth start to grind>. People who got used to being able to fly around their windows system - though not necessarily using windows products (e.g. xplorer2 still beats any linux FM hands down IMHO, not least because *it just works and doesn't crash and doesn't forget my toolbar settings and can show me the size of my folders without opening the pretty but awkward graphical filesize viewer*). People who are not scared of a command-line but don't think they should have to use it more than once a day. People who want the standard configuration to be usable. People who expect the concept of "details" to involve more than just showing a bouncing progress bar! KPackageKit WTF?! . We might consider these people to be akin to, say, taxi drivers. They know the roads and they know their vehicles and use their vehicles a lot more than the average driver but they are still not mechanics. I think these people should not use Linux, because on the whole they don't want the process of getting software to work to be interesting, challenging or time-consuming.

In short, if you want to :
* do conventional web/office/viewing/gimping things and have a techie friend who owes you a favour - use Linux
* do programming and have no money and are a techie - use Linux
* do programming and have no money and are slightly techie and have *lots* of spare time - use Linux
* use a machine as a powerful tool which works all the time but do not want to have to build that tool yourself, and you know how to protect yourself from viruses, and know how to find good software for windows/mac, and you know there could be something better somewhere else with a bit of fiddling but you want it to work *now* and have *some* money - do not use Linux.

Sadly there doesn't seem to be a category for someone who want to use a computer as a powerful tool, but doesn't want to build it themselves, is reasonably techie, has a reasonable amount of free time but no money. But I will stick with Linux, because it(/I) has great potential, however a fundamental problem will always be that it's more fun for developers to add new features than to fix old bugs. This is completely understandable and I am utterly grateful that people share their hobbies with the world (which is not to belittle it in any way - I just mean that on the whole programmers do it for love, not money). Some day I hope to get into the programming side myself, *in my spare time* (which I will only have when I have a job - until then I've only got "time I need to spend trying to get a job"). Linux rocks, yes, but in my experience it is not as steady as one.

I love Linux. I also love my cat which is insane and has an artificial hip, but if I needed something doing other than purring, slinking, staring, sleeping and turning food into excrement I wouldn't ask my cat to do it.

I am getting to the end of a video project now (with which I hope to get myself a job) and I have taken pride in using FOSS software and I have learned a hell of a lot - more than I would have wished to - about running a Linux system. I have learned a lot about networking. I have experienced brief moments of joy when after spending three days of scouring help pages and (mis-)typing things into terminal windows I have managed to achieve something which would have worked out of the box on my WinXp machine. I have ploughed through comparisons of Cinelerra, Kino, Kdenlive, Openmovie, Openshot, Pitivi, Avidemux - each of which presents its own fascinating but crippling challenges. I have thrilled to think that a new kdenlive was about to be released - this could be the one, this could be the one! But no, it doesn't work for me - oh, it's because it uses MLT and that depends on SDL and the karmic version is 1.2.13 and version 1.2.14 should work only I'd have to compile it myself and I've followed the instructions and that doesn't work and seven hours later I am still wishing I had done the thing in Windows Movie Maker because even though it looks like puke it works but I can't change horses mid-stream because it's using a different DV type which is also crappy but it works.

I seem to have strayed from my original point.

Anyway, most importantly I have learned that, as I wanted to do more than websurfing, wordprocessing, media-playing, and time-wasting, I should have just spend a grand on a Mac six months ago and I could have got a job and paid for said Mac and have cash to spare by now; and I could now be playing with (and loving) Linux (and my cat) in my spare time.

Share and Enjoy

praveesh
November 22nd, 2009, 05:49 AM
Did you ever format a partition or a pendrive ? Before using a computer, did you know what formating means ? I suppose not . But you learned it . Similarly you can learn what a repository is , just google. It's just a place with a collection of softwares that you can install . Actually, you don't need to know technical terms , you just need to do the tasks.

Iam not a programmer and I didn't study computer science . Still Iam using Ubuntu with full power .

Actually you didn't tell why you think Ubuntu is not for you . Do you feel that you are not learning anything while using Ubuntu ? Do you feel that you are not mastering it as you master windows ?

JDShu
November 22nd, 2009, 07:14 AM

I like this. Borders on the philosophical.

MasterNetra
November 22nd, 2009, 07:28 AM

No Beds aren't for everyone. I prefer a hammock but no spare money for one. When I can I'll probably get a free standing fabric hammock or a rope with cushions...not sure. either way it beats the back pain from the mattress. But yea beds aren't for everyone. ^.^

Pasdar
November 22nd, 2009, 07:53 AM
If by "everyone" do you also mean cats?

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images9/CatSleepBedPhilomena.jpg

xxhopingtearsxx
November 22nd, 2009, 08:19 PM
My cat likes to sleep on the same pillow my head is on. :]

jwbrase
November 22nd, 2009, 09:37 PM
One could argue that these people are not really using their machines as computers as such - mostly they can be considered to be glorified typewriters, encyclopediae, drawing boards and televisions

I know somebody who has said (and I agree), that the biggest impact that computers have made is not in number crunching, but acting as cheap teletypewriters. We don't have HAL 9000 yet, but sci-fi authors never saw the Internet coming.

In the middle are the people who want to do something a bit different - video editing, for example <teeth start to grind>. People who got used to being able to fly around their windows system - though not necessarily using windows products (e.g. xplorer2 still beats any linux FM hands down IMHO, not least because *it just works and doesn't crash and doesn't forget my toolbar settings and can show me the size of my folders without opening the pretty but awkward graphical filesize viewer*). People who are not scared of a command-line but don't think they should have to use it more than once a day. People who want the standard configuration to be usable. People who expect the concept of "details" to involve more than just showing a bouncing progress bar! KPackageKit WTF?! . We might consider these people to be akin to, say, taxi drivers. They know the roads and they know their vehicles and use their vehicles a lot more than the average driver but they are still not mechanics. I think these people should not use Linux, because on the whole they don't want the process of getting software to work to be interesting, challenging or time-consuming.

I'm probably one of the few people in the group you mention here that actually likes Linux. I'm very computer savvy, to the point that my friends *think* I'm an expert, but I'm certainly no expert. I do have somewhat of an explorer personality, though, and that's probably what puts me in the Linux camp.

ibuclaw
November 22nd, 2009, 09:39 PM
I'm probably one of the few people in the group you mention here that actually likes Linux. I'm very computer savvy, to the point that my friends *think* I'm an expert, but I'm certainly no expert. I do have somewhat of an explorer personality, though, and that's probably what puts me in the Linux camp.

That somes up about half the people here, actually... ;)

On topic of the thread though, I'll answer your question with a question.

Is Marmite (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaJ154r77EU) for everyone?

jacobs444
November 22nd, 2009, 09:43 PM
if you are happy with how you use your computer, and it works fine for you, then whats the problem. Don't try for your friend to be something your not. If he makes fun of you again, then say to him: at least i can have ubuntu installed in 30min instead of spending 2 days compiling before I can use my OS.

xpod
November 22nd, 2009, 10:11 PM
That somes up about half the people here, actually... ;)

On topic of the thread though, I'll answer your question with a question.

Is Marmite (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaJ154r77EU) for everyone?

Not if they purchase it from the same shop as this plonker (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6622314/Police-hunt-serial-Marmite-thief.html) ....theres none left.:p

Sealbhach
November 22nd, 2009, 10:21 PM

That sums me up to a tee as well, I like messing around with my system, but if I go too far, the only way I know how to fix things is to reinstall. Definitely not an expert, but I like to learn as much as I can, or as much as my natural slothfulness permits.

mr clark25
November 22nd, 2009, 10:29 PM
i dont know if it is for everyone (it should be), but i think it is alot better than windows. like you said, you can use it at any level you like. that is part of what makes it so great. when i had windows, i felt like there was something more. then vista crashed, and i found this. this was the more i was craving. i couldnt find one thing that windows could do that this cant. (or that at least doesn't have a work-around) but about my printer... i gess ill get a new one...

ubuntu is the best ever. (besides the printer part...)

Sin@Sin-Sacrifice
November 22nd, 2009, 10:47 PM
I think everyone could use it but will they? Ubuntu rocks but you're not gonna please everybody.

yester64
November 23rd, 2009, 02:22 AM
Don't you like to be a hacker?
Seriously, i started off with a C64 and hacked my way up. At one point i got an Amiga 500 and bought shortly a accustics coppler which made 300bps. That was hacker feeling.
I always enjoyed to mess around with my system, but i admit that i also never went really pro.
But i feel saver now with Ubuntu (or with any other linux distro) since i am more save now as was ever with windows.
The only thing that can be cumbersome is gaming. I haven't tried it so far, but i like to fire up CoD4 under Linux.
For what would i need then Windows?
Don't get me wrong. Windows is fine and does a lot of things nice. But if we are honest, most people have Windows for games. Do you really need Word? Excel? Outlook? I for one not really.
At least on linux you can hack the hell out of the system and feel no guild.
Thats my take on that issue.
I just like to mention that i liked to use Acdsee, but after a little digging i found out that this compromises on security. Plus there database is so bad, that it always crashes.
Thats another nail for the Windows wagon.
Of course you can claim that you get a lot of Pro software on Windows. True, but most people don't even buy the software. Adobe? Sure, just downloaded.
On linux its free and does the same and you don't need to feel guilty or break any laws using Gimp.

If i were you (the original poster) just stay with linux and learn over time. The more you use it, the better you get and understand the system. :D

Georgia boy
November 23rd, 2009, 03:05 AM
Maybe not for everyone. Me? I like it. I learn a lot and have fun on it. The people here take me as I am when I ask questions here in the forums and don't put me down. I'm not going to put Windows down. I used it for years since 3.1. But, I got tired of it and that whenever I wanted to use something that most of the time I would have to buy it or do without. Someone told me about Knoppix. Didn't like that. Then Ubuntu was mentioned. A person I know who is into computers and OS's checked it out and made me a Live CD. He then made one for himself and put it on an old laptop. I played with the cd and decided to dual boot. Been back to Windows a total of five times since Ubuntu was installed. I use the basics, some games, OpenOffice, and play around trying to learn. Always in the forums trying to learn something new. Yes I can see that not everyone would like it. I do tell friends and family about Ubuntu but don't preach it to them I just let them know that there are alternatives out there. Up to them. Will I go back to Windows? No. I'm happy here. Might try some other distros just to see what they're like don't know for sure right now. But as for now I'm having fun here. To each our own.

Tom

chucky chuckaluck
November 23rd, 2009, 04:23 AM
what would you need your computer for that would make linux not for you? if you're just an end user, like me, use your browser, email, im and whatever else. if you need to learn something, then just learn it (which you don't have to do all at once). it's easy to imagine obstacles when one is new or not very familiar with something, but for the novice, there are usually enough "actual" things to concern oneself with that it is not worth worrying about invisible demons.

ugm6hr
November 23rd, 2009, 07:50 AM
That sums me up to a tee as well, I like messing around with my system, but if I go too far, the only way I know how to fix things is to reinstall. Definitely not an expert, but I like to learn as much as I can, or as much as my natural slothfulness permits.

Indeed. Me too.

I actually think this group makes up a significant minority (possibly a majority) of Ubuntu users (certainly on the forum), since a lot of the truly advanced users prefer other distros, and true new users with basic computing needs end up finding out and learning a little during their time here.

The only group who fit into the "taxi driver" analogy are those with specific application requirements which are (as of yet) unavailable on Linux.

kevCast
November 23rd, 2009, 08:11 AM
If it makes you feel any better, I use Slackware and I don't know diddly about programming. I know some incredibly advanced people who use Ubuntu. Some people like to glorify their sysadming skills, but they miss the point entirely if they are installing incredibly difficult distros based on the premise that it makes you better or more competant than others.

The whole point of computer science is to automate effeciently and effectively. Your friend, although some abstraction is gone, is still using abstraction to punch in commands. He's using prepackaged application programs such as bash and system software like the Linux kernel to handle resources. If he really wanted to be elitist, he'd get a cray and some punch cards.

It really doesn't matter what distribution you use, they are all fundamentally the same.

It's also nice to see someone who is as smitten with tweeting as I am.

beloved88
November 23rd, 2009, 09:14 AM
Is it for everyone? No. Is it for anyone? yeah. Not everyone is going to switch, some people just like windows, whatever, i don't care, i did at one point too until i took a political science class and realized the value of our free enterprise system and hated monopolies. I now support anyone trying to compete with the lame-stream. I think for anyone there is something that would be fore them. Even if they had to use proprietory software for work or whatever, Moblin is shaping up to be a great project for a personal netbook for tweating, web-browsing, listening to music, whatever, even some light office stuff too.

I see it as a choice really, just like a vehicle. Is any said vehicle for everyone? some prefer cars, some truck, some mercades, some honda. But could anyone benefit from any one of these vehicles, sure.

Of the 3 computers we have, 1 has ubuntu only (my own laptop), 2 are ubuntu-xp dual boot, one of which is primarily in ubuntu (my brother's, the xp was infected, the reason we actually decided to give ubuntu a shot) and another in xp (my parents haven'tquite warmed up to it 100% yet)

dyess002
November 27th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Ever since I switched to Ubuntu, and was forced to use it as my only operating system since Windows Vista suddenly won't work (it says that I have the wrong activation code.. I activated it months ago. What?). While I can easily get Vista back, I decided to just use Ubuntu.. see how it's like to use another operating system without Windows behind my back.. and I never switched back. Ubuntu has everything I need, if there's a problem, I love when I finally figure out how to fix it. It's faster, more customizable.

But I couldn't help but feel I don't belong.. I feel that Ubuntu is just for programmers and I'm just using Ubuntu to it's basics. Why? I don't even know what a repository is. When I google up Linux or Ubuntu, I will see articles about hacking or programming or something indescribable. My friends that use Linux are programmers, hackers.. the guy who told me about Ubuntu in the first place is now making fun of the fact that I'm using it instead of Gentoo, which apparently was very difficult for him to install. I'm just an average user. All I do is chat, go on flickr, tweet, pretend I like Facebook when actually I'm too addicted to Twitter. I didn't want to switch to Ubuntu for a long time just because the default theme was ugly. Can a person like me use Ubuntu?

Edit: And please don't give me the, "We're not forcing you to switch" post or, "Just switch to Windows again if you don't feel like you belong.." that's not what I want.
Ubuntu is for everyone !!!if you are a programer or if you are just a internet king what ever you do except quality games Ubuntu is for you. The repository deal is for every one's saftey, if you get it through the repository and get it from the Ubuntu supported one you wont have to worry about someone injecting a Rootkit into a software. Ubuntu will do anything Windows will do and it is more flexible. If you don't like the way things are set up you can change it, like if you don't like the menu up top!!! log out and sign back in with KDE and then you have it at the bottom, if you don't like that log out and sign back in with another windows manager. You can fix it the way you want!!! and you can't do that with Windows and that's what makes Ubuntu good for everyone.

Stosskraft
November 27th, 2009, 03:55 AM
YES and NO

I fall into this camp. I loved the switch from Xp to 9.04 and learning the new system, but with the new install for 9.10 and the fact that I can't play a simple game with sound, and the large amount of info I have to dig through to find an answer ( I still can't) I am getting frustrated. At the end of the day I want to turn on my computer and use it, not figure out why a new version is not as good at the old one. I am not tied to anyone, I LOVE the linux concept...but get real...I have been using windows for 15 years and never had to spend hours to figure out a crackling sound that was not there on 9.04.

sorry rant over

Exodist
November 27th, 2009, 04:20 AM

^^ This ^^