PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] how to do this?

gfunkera
November 21st, 2009, 09:37 PM
i want to remotely control my computer from another computer on my home network. both are running the newest versions of ubuntu..

i tried remote desktop but it was really slow and i didnt see it respond to my clicks and stuff....

any ideas?

:popcorn:

Zyprexa
November 21st, 2009, 10:01 PM
I use SSH to control my Ubuntu Server from a Vista computer, using Putty (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/%7Esgtatham/putty/). I am not sure how i set it up, since it's a long time ago, but i remember it was a fairly easy and quick process, eventhough i had little linux experience. To control a desktop i would use VNC.

Edit: regarding SSH i seem to remember using a howto from this forum.

gfunkera
November 21st, 2009, 10:40 PM
whats the difference between using ssh and vnc? do i have to use both or just one? im a little confused..

.nedberg
November 21st, 2009, 10:51 PM
whats the difference between using ssh and vnc? do i have to use both or just one? im a little confused..

ssh is command line, vnc gives you a gui.

I use ssh for all my servers (they have no gui), but I also use VNC to some clients. Vino is the default vnc-server in Ubuntu, it should work OK.

You install ssh with

sudo apt-get install openssh-server

gfunkera
November 21st, 2009, 11:10 PM
when i type vino in the command line, it doesnt recognize it when i do the sudo apt-get install vino it comes back saying its already at the newest version... confusion is getting worse...

i installed the ssh server... how do i use it?

.nedberg
November 22nd, 2009, 02:10 PM
You can laund vino with

/usr/lib/vino/vino-server

First you need to configure it with

vino-preferences

If you installed openssh-server, it should already be started. Connect from another machine with:

ssh [username@]<ip>

Replace username with your username (or leave it out if it is the same as on the machine you connect from). Replace <ip> with the ip of the machine you want to connect to. It will ask for a password, input the password of the user you are connecting with (on the server).

Hope this helps!