PDA

View Full Version : windows users (that i know) are the most paranoid people EVER

nerdy_kid
November 21st, 2009, 05:30 PM
so i am on a voluntary Nexuiz spreading campaign, and so far with out fail, every single Windows user i know is so scared that the WONT EVER DOWNLOAD THE STUPID FILE SO THEY CAN AT LEAST SCAN THE FREAKING THING!!!!!

im like, dude, i run nothing but free software and my pc has NEVER got a virus!!!! and they just kinda go around my point and say -- 'yeah but um and uh i um' and refuse to download it! It just shows how usless antivirus for Windows is....

i do say that not all windows users are like this (myself used to be the kind who didnt care)

BuffaloX
November 21st, 2009, 05:34 PM
Seems they are not paranoid enough to actually switch to open source, so they could check the source themselves before compiling and installing.

nerdy_kid
November 21st, 2009, 05:45 PM
yeah but these are the kinda people who look at linux and shug it of as 'primitive' OS. And they look at me who never had a virus in my life and call my OS primitive. that is highly offensive :D

but the big issue is the mindset 'is its free then it a virus' is stuck, i know someone who wouldnt even let me boot a LiveCD cause he was afraid of viruses -- as the OS was running on my laptop! How are we supposed to deal with that? 'cause there is no warrenty (im not saying that there should be one) that i can point to and say -- see this? proof!

anybody manage to OpenSource anyone like this???

steveneddy
November 21st, 2009, 05:47 PM
Windows is very insecure and most that have tried to DL "free" software on their Windows machine have would up with more troubles.

Blame Steve Ballmer for making Windows so insecure and the antivirus software producers for keeping Windows insecure.

I've stopped trying to get everyone I talk to hooked on Ubuntu. I don't run into the smartest people in the world and these poor people can barely get around on Windows, what are they going to do with a completely different operating system?

Most people running Windows will not run anything that they have to DL or they can't buy a CD of. I feel sorry for Windows users who have been forced to take this mindset when there are so many other alternatives out there that would probably do the job better than the Windows they are using now.

pwnst*r
November 21st, 2009, 05:48 PM
u mad?

nothingspecial
November 21st, 2009, 06:00 PM
You must not know many drug addicts

nerdy_kid
November 21st, 2009, 06:00 PM
Windows is very insecure and most that have tried to DL "free" software on their Windows machine have would up with more troubles.yeah but im talking OpenSource software from the Linux Community.

I've stopped trying to get everyone I talk to hooked on Ubuntu. I don't run into the smartest people in the world and these poor people can barely get around on Windows, what are they going to do with a completely different operating system?i gave up on that a while ago lol im just trying to get a friend of mine to play Nexuiz online with me!!!!

u mad?yup :D
i want a friend to kill on Nexuiz and you guys are all too good :'(

sorry but i had to go sulk somewhere lol

RiceMonster
November 21st, 2009, 06:14 PM
Let me make sure I'm understanding this right: a random person on the internet (you) tells them to download a file, and you don't understand why they don't want to download it?

nerdy_kid
November 21st, 2009, 06:17 PM
Let me make sure I'm understandthing this right: a radndom person on the internet (you) tells them to downloada file, and you don't understand why they don't want to download it?

no its a relation of mine....

NoaHall
November 21st, 2009, 06:20 PM
I always use free/open source software on windows. It's what got me (more) interested in GNU and Linux.

AlphaLexman
November 21st, 2009, 06:20 PM
You must not know many drug addicts

There are only two industries that call their customers "users"

dragos240
November 21st, 2009, 06:40 PM
You can't blame the user. Windows has made users think that everything they download for free has a 75% chance of being a virus that destroys your computer. It's not the user's fault.

ZankerH
November 21st, 2009, 06:55 PM
yeah but these are the kinda people who look at linux and shug it of as 'primitive' OS. And they look at me who never had a virus in my life and call my OS primitive. that is highly offensive

Oh the irony of someone who calls GNU/Linux "Linux" taking offence at what someone else, in turn, calls GNU/Linux.

Eagles18
November 21st, 2009, 07:35 PM
I was able to get some friends to play on Nexuiz and even converted a good fraction of them to Ubuntu.I was able to do it because my friends know a good deal about computers and because they trust me :D

RiceMonster
November 21st, 2009, 07:39 PM
Oh the irony of someone who calls GNU/Linux "Linux" taking offence at what someone else, in turn, calls GNU/Linux.

Thanks you for bringing this totally relevant, and completely non-obnoxious argument into this thread.

NoaHall
November 21st, 2009, 07:41 PM
Thanks you for bringing this totally relevant, and completely non-obnoxious argument into this thread.

Zanker always posts sensible and useful information. In fact, earlier, he told a newbie that he shouldn't use flash, instead, he should download the video and play them.

ExSuSEusr
November 21st, 2009, 07:42 PM
You can't blame the user. Windows has made users think that everything they download for free has a 75% chance of being a virus that destroys your computer. It's not the user's fault.

Yes it is. Users are too lazy to do any actual research of their own. If "it" doesn't contain a laugh track (telling you when something is funny) or is portrayed on a deserted island where members of the tribe vote each other off - the average "user" aka person doesn't care to invest the energy.

I used to think the average person was a moron. But, the truth is, the average person is just pathetically lazy.

nerdy_kid
November 21st, 2009, 07:46 PM

yeah whatever :lolflag:

some people (like me) are too lazy to type "GNU/Linux" and just type "Linux" instead hoping that everyone else will get the idea :D

lisati
November 21st, 2009, 07:46 PM
. If "it" doesn't contain a laugh track (telling you when something is funny) or is portrayed on a deserted island where members of the tribe vote each other off - the average "user" aka person doesn't care to invest the energy.

IMO you'ure on to something here.

I'll wander off and browse the forums, contemplating the challenges of explaining to a non-tech person why several hours worth of video footage won't fit on a 1GB memory stick.

LinuxFox
November 21st, 2009, 08:17 PM
Sounds like a good goal to spread Nexuiz, I also enjoy the game. I don't think all Windows users are paranoid, but maybe they got viruses in the past and fear downloading something that's free.

Sometimes people think free as in price, and think that free programs have viruses (though not all programs do). In the case with Nexuiz, it's free as in freedom. At least that's what I think.

HappyFeet
November 21st, 2009, 08:29 PM
Most people running Windows will not run anything that they have to DL

I've experienced the opposite. A lot of windows users I know download tons of stuff from the net, hence, problems.

BuffaloX
November 22nd, 2009, 02:05 AM
So they wouldn't download a driver from HP?
Are they really sure their windows updates are safe?

Don't ever update your Windows, it's an Internet download, and may contain viruses.

That should keep them safe. :p

Grifulkin
November 22nd, 2009, 02:45 AM
I always use free/open source software on windows. It's what got me (more) interested in GNU and Linux.

Oddly enough, me too.

praveenthivari
November 22nd, 2009, 03:01 AM
I think they are not aren't.
I can't expect a teacher or some office person using Linux after dumping windows to be searching in forums for solution to all the problems with drivers or printers or other hardware, instead of doing something useful of their work itself.
Instead it is better they are left to use it if they are happy to take so many precautions with wat they have.
On the other side, As support to Linux increases, word of it will surely travel to their ears and may be they just think of giving it a try.:p:p:p:p