PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to get Kernal on extenal drive

urdrwho
November 21st, 2009, 05:27 PM
Several weeks ago I installed Ubuntu using the "install as windows application"

I choose to install to my external 250 gig HD, which is F drive on my laptop.

Yesterday I got a new 500 gig HD. It will be the new external F drive.

I copied all the ubuntu stuff from the old external to the new 500 gig.

When I went to do a dual boot I got an error message. The message was something about needing to install the kernel.

So how do I install the kernel to my external F drive. While booting I think it looks for HD (0,0) but it that line is needed to write script I can get the exact thing.

lmarmisa
November 21st, 2009, 05:46 PM
I don't know if I understand you.

Do you want to install Ubuntu in your external drive?

I think that a fresh installation in that external disk is the best solution.

I don't know if you want to use the full external disk for Ubuntu or not. If not, define the partitions for Ubuntu during or before the installation process. Gparted is a good tool for that purpose starting the system from a CD Live of Ubuntu.

An important recommendation: during the step 7/7 of the installation, tick advanced options and select install the grub loader in the external disk.

When the installation finishes, change the boot order priority of the BIOS: 1) CD/DVD; 2) USB disk; 3) internal disk.

Regards,

Luis

urdrwho
November 21st, 2009, 06:20 PM
Several weeks ago Ubuntu was installed. I have a laptop that is runnign XP. Ubuntu was installed to the smaller external drive and a dual boot is now available on the XP laptop.

Now I would like to copy everything ubuntu that resides on the smaller external HD, everything that I did, everything installed., etc. to the new bigger HD.

I copied everything to the new HD except the kernel. The kernel must be installed on the new external drive.

My first thought was to uninstall and do a new install but don't want to loose all my setup information. It took long enough to get the audio to stream online radio and I don't want to go through it again.

I don't know if I understand you.

Do you want to install Ubuntu in your external drive?

I think that a fresh installation in that external disk is the best solution.

I don't know if you want to use the full external disk for Ubuntu or not. If not, define the partitions for Ubuntu during or before the installation process. Gparted is a good tool for that purpose starting the system from a CD Live of Ubuntu.

An important recommendation: during the step 7/7 of the installation, tick advanced options and select install the grub loader in the external disk.

When the installation finishes, change the boot order priority of the BIOS: 1) CD/DVD; 2) USB disk; 3) internal disk.

Regards,

Luis

steveneddy
November 21st, 2009, 06:34 PM
Several weeks ago I installed Ubuntu using the "install as windows application"

I choose to install to my external 250 gig HD, which is F drive on my laptop.

Yesterday I got a new 500 gig HD. It will be the new external F drive.

I copied all the ubuntu stuff from the old external to the new 500 gig.

When I went to do a dual boot I got an error message. The message was something about needing to install the kernel.

So how do I install the kernel to my external F drive. While booting I think it looks for HD (0,0) but it that line is needed to write script I can get the exact thing.

The UUID # (unique user identification number) of the old external HD is different from the new external HD.

Either go into the grub files and change it or just do a new total reinstall.

It would probably be easier to Install Ubuntu in a Virtual Machine like VirtualBox. Use the external drive for data storage.

The kernel is there but is identified by the ID of the old HD.

Like I said, just use a VM and be done with it. Running an OS from an external drive isn't the best solution, in fact, it is a bad solution, speed being a determining factor.

If you get lost, just look at the links in my sig.