PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't install anything since upgrade to 9.10

PurpleIvy
November 21st, 2009, 05:09 PM
I decided to go ahead and upgrade to 9.10. When I did, everything seemed to work fine. Except I couldn't install the flash player. I thought it was just a Flash player related issue until I tried to fix it.

Attempt upon attempt lead me to discover I couldn't install anything at all. I get the error that the file is corrupt or I don't have permissions. When I check permissions, everything is fine.

Other errors when attempting to install flash were:

E:The Package needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.

I searched through the 4 or 5 posts I could find on the issue of getting Flash to install and tried every bit of code, every technique and I get the same errors when attempting to install. I've attempted the deb installer file, installing from terminal, installing from Add/remove. None of it works. I've attempted script after script. Still will not install, or remove flash.

I love Ubuntu but this, and some of my inability to find supporting software for my peripherals makes me want to go back to *cringe* Win XP. I really don't want to do that, is there anything that can be done?

mac9416
November 21st, 2009, 06:36 PM
Hey, PurpleIvy,

Try going to System>Administration>Software Sources>Other Software and enable 'http://archive.canonical.com/ karmic partner'.

If that does not seem to help, try running these commands:

$ sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/adobe-flashplugin.prerm # Deletes a troublesome config file
$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure adobe-flashplugin --force # Force-reconfigures adobe-flashplugin
$ sudo dpkg --purge --force-all adobe-flashplugin # Force-removes adobe-flashplugin
$ sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree # Installs flashplayer the easy way

Hope that helps!

slakkie
November 21st, 2009, 06:59 PM
Enabling the partner repo should be enough to fix this problem.

PurpleIvy
November 22nd, 2009, 10:21 AM
Adding and enabling http://archive.canonical.com/ karmic partner - Completely solved the problem.

Thanks SO Much!!!