PDA

View Full Version : Why Karmic Is Bad Mouthed ?

sadaruwan12
November 21st, 2009, 04:52 PM
I was just wondering, Why did karmic got so bad publicity I'm using it on my office PC and on my PROLiNK netbook both of them are performing very well better than with jaunty. Does any one know why people are after Karmic and started to bad mouth it????

RiceMonster
November 21st, 2009, 04:53 PM
Search for the million other threads about this topic and you may find your answer.

Eisenwinter
November 21st, 2009, 04:57 PM
Also, using the letter "y" to write the word "why", is lame, and only done by 13 year olds.

The Toxic Mite
November 21st, 2009, 05:07 PM
Also, using the letter "y" to write the word "why", is lame, and only done by 13 year olds.

Smart alec Eisenwinter is a smart alec (no offence :|)

Keyper7
November 21st, 2009, 05:07 PM

And confusing for people who speak french or spanish, where "y" has meaning on its own.

Anyway, it's not Karmic that's badmouthed. It's every single Ubuntu release. It just got more media attention this time, for whatever reason.

TheNessus
November 21st, 2009, 05:22 PM
It's simply because some specific people's hardware is not fully compatible with Karmic, and of course, all these people think this is solely because of Karmic, and they think that it's the same for everyone else who has Karmic.

Penguin Guy
November 21st, 2009, 05:28 PM
Unfair sampling - people who have problems are more likely to speak out than those who don't, therefore giving the false impression that most people have problems.

darco
November 21st, 2009, 05:29 PM
Sort of like the whole Vista fiasco. I personally never had an issue w/Vista but of course 90% of the users did. So ya its easier to just blame the OS for all your troubles.
I think Karmic is running awesome w/the 2.6.32-4 kernel, ext4 and ureadahead.......

darco

pwnst*r
November 21st, 2009, 05:57 PM
omg all OS's suck!

chessnerd
November 21st, 2009, 06:01 PM
Sort of like the whole Vista fiasco. I personally never had an issue w/Vista but of course 90% of the users did.
I think Karmic is running awesome w/the 2.6.32-4 kernel, ext4 and ureadahead.......

darco

Yep. When I saw this post the first thing I thought of was Windows Vista. I hope that the Karmic bad mouthing does not become what I call the Vista Phenomenon.

The Vista Phenomenon is the deep hatred of Vista caused by initial problems that were heavily covered by the media and later this hatred became a self-perpetuating feeling. People began to hate Vista because Vista was hated. I never have had any issues with Vista nor have my aunt, sister, or cousins, but a lot of people hate it (and most of them haven't even used it).

I fear that Karmic may suffer from this. Especially because an LTS release is right around the corner, people may skip over Karmic because they have been hearing such bad things about it. However, unlike Windows, Linux is almost expected to have problems, so I think that most people will still move on to Karmic because they won't have the expectation of a flawless OS. There will be those, however, who stick with Jaunty until 10.04 comes out, which I might do on my old desktop.

boballen55
November 21st, 2009, 06:09 PM
It was said before but every new release of ubuntu has a slightly different set of problems and with the new stuff being added in all the time there are new problems. Every time there is about a month or so of a few people having a really tough time with the new release for some reason or another. Most problems get worked around before too long though. I'll be trying the new release in about a week just because I've run into trouble before.

Bezmotivnik
November 21st, 2009, 06:10 PM
Search for the million other threads about this topic and you may find your answer.
Relentlessly redundant threads are what this forum is all about. Where have you been? Jeeze, get with the program!

Anyway, having used Ubuntu for years, I see this cycle every six months. If the previous version was great for you, the next one will probably be horrible. If the last one was horrible, the next one will be great.

Etc., etc.

SunnyRabbiera
November 21st, 2009, 07:06 PM
The biggest bugs I see in Karmic are GRUB2 and ATI support, only one ca be fixed by lucid though and its not ATI support.
Frackin ATI

Ric_NYC
November 21st, 2009, 07:08 PM
There are many threads about the same thing...
Isn't time to close the new ones about the same old thing.. Did I say the "same thing"?

What's the point?

soni1770
November 21st, 2009, 07:19 PM
http://imgur.com/OKJ7N.jpghttp://http://imgur.com/OKJ7N.jpg

Uncle Spellbinder
November 21st, 2009, 08:55 PM
Unfair sampling - people who have problems are more likely to speak out than those who don't, therefore giving the false impression that most people have problems.

Well said. But, the pulse audio issue pretty much sucks. TVTime does not work, and there are a multitude of pulse audio threads here and on other forums.

Other than that, Ubuntu 9.10 is a solid release.

Bios Element
November 21st, 2009, 09:05 PM
Drivers problems. Lots of changes under the hood. That's typically why people have problems. Bad luck with hardware. Oh and yes, even if you try it on 15 systems and have problems, it's still probably going to come back to bad luck.

Note that this is not to say these problems don't need to be fixed, but it's unfair to say it totally sucks simply because you are unable to use it. (And yes, I know how painfully infuriating it can be when that happens.)

Andreas1
November 21st, 2009, 09:15 PM
I was just wondering, Why did karmic got so bad publicity I'm using it on my office PC and on my PROLiNK netbook both of them are performing very well better than with jaunty. Does any one know why people are after Karmic and started to bad mouth it????

why did karmic get bad publicity when it worked for you?
a logical explanation would be that id didn't work so smoothly for all.

Frak
November 21st, 2009, 09:18 PM
Worked for me != Worked for everybody else.

FuturePilot
November 21st, 2009, 09:19 PM

This

Niva
November 22nd, 2009, 12:50 AM
It worked for me but I definitely didn't like the lack of GUI for GRUB 2 manipulation, I've still not figured out how to properly configure it.

I also didn't like how they blocked out the su command but someone on these forums informed me of the "sudo -i" workaround.

I think it's definitely a step in the right direction, you should view 9.10 as a stepping stone for the next LTS release.

I do hope they improve the performance a bit, it seems more sluggish, especially when I compare it to 8.04 performance.

TheNessus
November 22nd, 2009, 12:57 AM
here is why Karmic is bad mouthed exactly:

Karmic sucks for me = sucks for everybody else.

Zoot7
November 22nd, 2009, 01:01 AM
IMO it's because some people have an emotional need to complain and seek attention. Go Figure.

The Toxic Mite
November 22nd, 2009, 03:41 PM
IMO it's because some people have an emotional need to complain and seek attention. Go Figure.

I do not consider people who gripe about new releases to be "attention seekers".

It takes time for people to get used to new versions - hopefully the developers can address the problems people are having, and maybe they wouldn't have to gripe as much.

It's the fact that people don't submit bug reports, which might be a good habit to get into ;)

~sHyLoCk~
November 22nd, 2009, 03:47 PM
Why Karmic Is Bad Mouthed ?.

Because it doesn't work for them?

Zoot7
November 22nd, 2009, 03:55 PM

I do not consider people who gripe about new releases to be "attention seekers".

It takes time for people to get used to new versions - hopefully the developers can address the problems people are having, and maybe they wouldn't have to gripe as much.

It's the fact that people don't submit bug reports, which might be a good habit to get into ;)
Not everyone no. Hence why I said some.
There are people who do have an illogical and passionate hatred for anything Linux and go around bashing it as a result.
Have a look HERE (http://www.linsux.org/), if you want to see for yourself.

Matthew24
November 22nd, 2009, 04:29 PM
Sort of like the whole Vista fiasco. I personally never had an issue w/Vista but of course 90% of the users did. So ya its easier to just blame the OS for all your troubles.

darco

Yeah, but my family had Vista sp1.. everyone had problems with that. That's all I had to see before I decided that Vista is complete crap from the start and will continually be just that.

Karmic is amazing ftw.

Andreas1
November 23rd, 2009, 08:34 AM
this thread boils down to the following:

people who experience unexpected behaviour complain
people who experience no difficulty say it's a fine release
(i belong to the former btw)

what would really be needed now is to determine how many there are in the first group. then we could really make assertions about the stability of ubuntu. for obvious reasons you cannot pull that information out of various complaint and upgrade testimonial polls, they are biased, people tend to speak up if something's wrong, which is kind of why this forum is here.

BUT
what would you say to this: before the next release, we start an upgrade experience poll, for which you have to sign up or something before upgrading your system, so we get random users, no bias towards bad experience. don't know how easily this could be implemented in these forums (or elsewhere).

until then, keep in mind that there are at least a number of people for whom ubuntu does not work flawlessly/at all, and we don't really know that number because it's not that easy to determine.

FuturePilot
November 23rd, 2009, 09:04 AM
here is why Karmic is bad mouthed exactly:

Karmic sucks for me = sucks for everybody else.

Hmmmm

Keyper7
November 23rd, 2009, 09:24 AM
Hmmmm

Yeah. Generalizations on both sides are the main source of discussions around here.

beloved88
November 23rd, 2009, 09:34 AM
from what i could gather, it's a combo of a few things
1) new releases seem to give lots of people issues. given time, these issues are resolved. I've decided to stick with older, proven releases for awhile.
2) the release date was very close to the release of Windows 7 and OS-X Snowleapard, so it was seen as it's counterpart, or something like that... I think Lucid is probably more fitting of that description because it's an LTS, so i think extra attention will be given to make sure that it's really stable (notice the number of people on the forum still using 8.04?) I personaly got burned by Karmic once, and since i can do everything i want on my netbook with Jaunty, i think i'll stick with it till Lucid comes along, and i do a clean install

Frak
November 23rd, 2009, 10:44 PM
Yeah. Generalizations on both sides are the main source of discussions around here.
The former isn't a generalization because it isn't based on sound logic, the later is. Just because it works for me does not mean it worked for everybody else.

Bezmotivnik
November 23rd, 2009, 10:52 PM
^ The foundation and cornerstone of Linux advocacy.

That said, 9.10 has worked pretty well on the two boxes on which I have installed it, including one that had problems on most previous versions. Um...so far, that is.

Of course, I hope I catch the works/doesn't/works/doesn't release cycle in phase for the next LTS release. ;)

"She loves me, she loves me not, she loves me, she loves me not..."

confused_user
November 23rd, 2009, 11:04 PM
I've used Ubuntu since 4.10. I've had it on my laptop(s) and have gradually progressed to having it on all my machines and have begun to deploy it at work.

It has taken many versions to gain my trust.

I badmouth Karmic because it has killed my systems or made them otherwise unusable (by fundamental things like wireless drivers not working properly to video drivers working one minute, gone the next).

My experiences of Ubuntu 9.10 have left a bad taste in my mouth and i have downgraded all of my machine bar one to 9.04.

I have even resorted to using windows 7 on my netbook since i can actually use my netbook that way, i dont have to spend two hours trouble shooting and fixing problems each time i turn it on.

I'm really ok with open source operating systems being a little bit annoying when things break and what not. I get a real kick and sense of achievement when i finally manage to get Linux working the way i want.

But karmic is a full time job trying to stay on top of all the bugs. then an update comes out and bang, your back to fixing everything again and in some cases you cant fix them.

Karmic has been a big pain in the *** for me when compared with other verisons of Ubuntu and that is why i badmouth it.

Bezmotivnik
November 24th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Oh, and I learned my lesson long ago: No wireless, no printers, no scanners, no webcams, no peripherals of any kind, nothing but older generic nVidia cards, etc.

Problems vanish, along with one-box functionality.

Actually, I left a webcam in by accident and it worked, if poorly.