PDA

View Full Version : Do you find that GTK sometimes locks up in KDE and maybe vice versa?

hoppipolla
November 21st, 2009, 04:31 PM
I find this, like if I've got Filezilla or Pidgin or something open in my KDE desktop, sometimes it will just lock up for sometimes quite long periods of time, sometimes even locking other GTK apps too.

I'm also sure I saw this kind of behaviour with Qt apps in Gnome.

Does anyone know what causes this or how it can be.. fixed? o.O

Hoppi :)

Pasdar
November 21st, 2009, 04:44 PM
Why not use Kopete?

chucky chuckaluck
November 21st, 2009, 04:51 PM
that's never happened to me, but i do notice that my gtk apps work faster if i use qtcurve-gtk2(?) when using kde.

hoppipolla
November 21st, 2009, 05:05 PM
Why not use Kopete?

They haven't updated their Facebook plugin yet so it doesn't work so well :(

dragos240
November 21st, 2009, 05:08 PM
It didn't do that for me. :confused:

praveesh
November 21st, 2009, 05:23 PM
I have installed kde4.3.3 in Ubuntu karmic .

ALL THE KDE APPS RUNS FASTER IN GNOME THAN IN KDE . I feels it strange . The dolphin opens as a lightning and opening folders is very quickly in Gnome . Systemsettings , dragonplayer, kaffene etc also runs faster in Gnome than in kde .It was not the case in jaunty . Iam not telling that kde is slower , it is also faster than in jaunty.I also feels the Gnome apps to be faster than in jaunty . Does any one feels the same ?

Pasdar
November 21st, 2009, 05:33 PM
I have installed kde4.3.3 in Ubuntu karmic .

ALL THE KDE APPS RUNS FASTER IN GNOME THAN IN KDE . I feels it strange . The dolphin opens as a lightning and opening folders is very quickly in Gnome . Systemsettings , dragonplayer, kaffene etc also runs faster in Gnome than in kde .It was not the case in jaunty . Iam not telling that kde is slower , it is also faster than in jaunty.I also feels the Gnome apps to be faster than in jaunty . Does any one feels the same ?
Are you sure you only feel that way because you actually get to see how slow GNOME is in comparison to a QT program?

cb951303
November 21st, 2009, 05:39 PM
correct me if I'm wrong but, both QT and GTK are unaware of the DE they're running on. AFAIK they only care about X server, so it would be highly improbable for them to run differently on different DEs except maybe the theme engine.

zagz
November 21st, 2009, 05:46 PM
In Gnome I find there are too many dependencies to run KDE apps, I may as well just install KDE. which is probably what will happen eventually.;)

praveesh
November 21st, 2009, 07:19 PM
Are you sure you only feel that way because you actually get to see how slow GNOME is in comparison to a QT program?

Qt apps runs faster in Gnome than in kde . That's the only fact Iam saying .

Pasdar
November 21st, 2009, 07:34 PM
Qt apps runs faster in Gnome than in kde . That's the only fact Iam saying .

Yes I know. But it shouldn't make any difference at all. So I'm saying maybe you just think it runs much faster because everything else runs slower around it.

hoppipolla
November 22nd, 2009, 03:28 AM
In summary... I dunno what to do about this one. It IS rare, but I've had it for years. It might be because it locks up it's libraries or something.

It's not major though, I was just curious about it really :)