PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] xfwm4 consumes too much memory

Lilonius
November 21st, 2009, 03:41 PM
I have a xubuntu 9.10 installation via wubi. i want my girlfriend to check i out on her old notebook so she can see how much faster it is compared to xp. but i got disappointed. i started the notebook and everything was working smoothly until i left a notebook on for couple of hours to find it slower than xp with most of my apps running. I checked the processes and the process named xfwm4 consumes around 240 MB memroy, and when i restart the the whole system needs top 170 MB so now i have around 80% of memory used just with browser with one tab.

is there any solution to this or it is a bug?

gradinaruvasile
November 21st, 2009, 03:47 PM
Well thats not normal. I ahve Xubuntu 9.10 and xfwm4 is at 11 mb after 2 days uptime (with hibernations/suspends/resumes.
Might be the Wubi installation. Ubuntu wubi IS NOT a good demo especially in lower spec hardware.

Lilonius
November 21st, 2009, 03:52 PM
Thanks for fast reply :)

I just loged off and in and the memory is now at 9 MB.

I have noticed that it is not the best for testing but is better than Live CD. i experience some 'hiccups', i think they mostly happen when accessing the hard drive, but this really slowed down everything.

gradinaruvasile
November 21st, 2009, 03:59 PM
I can tell you from experience that Xubuntu is very fast and snappy. It is noticeable on better hardware too. I have a Dell D630/2GB RAM/2.00GHzCore2Duo and Xubuntu Karmic is way more snappier than Jaunty/Gnome. But it has some drawbacks - the most annoying is that some programs after installation dont show up in the menu.

Lilonius
November 21st, 2009, 04:20 PM
hmm.... now the consuption is 48 MB. I have also noticed that Xorg uses come of processor power. in Processes tabs it jumps up to 30% but in the same tame when i switch to Resources/CPU History i see me CPU used yo 100% for a fraction of time, i suppose the same time Xorg activivty increases. I dont know if the increase of memory consuption of xfwm4 is related to this!