PDA

View Full Version : Compiz Effects

Geffers
November 21st, 2009, 02:04 PM
I've got 9.10 installed on my Acer Aspire One netbook and am pleased with the setup.

Recently I tried a Live version of Knoppix on the netbook and the compiz effects seemed to work very well (Spinning transparent desktops etc) but I cannot seem to get this in URM.

Synaptic shows compiz to be installed but the normal compiz key shortcuts don't have any effect.

Anyone had this working on URM

Geffers

yossell
November 21st, 2009, 10:34 PM
I don't know URM (netbook remix?)

At least in Ubuntu, there are various window managers. The default is metacity - while running metacity you can make all the changes you like to compiz - and nothing happens. Could this be happening for you?

On Ubuntu, you can start compiz proper either by going to preferences ->appearances, choosing visual effects tab and then ticking 'extra'. Alternatively, you can press alt+f2 and enter `compiz --replace' in the command line, or run it from a terminal.

I don't know what the equivalents of these are in URM - maybe this will give you some ideas of what to try.

yossell

Geffers
November 21st, 2009, 11:28 PM
I don't know what the equivalents of these are in URM - maybe this will give you some ideas of what to try.

yossell

Thanks, I'll give this a try but one of the problems with URM is the desktop layout, the extra 'desktops' do not appear or I haven't twigged how to switch between them.

Geffers

yossell
November 21st, 2009, 11:36 PM
It still might be of help if you told me what URM meant.

It may just be different terminology, but for me `desktop' isn't the same as 'window manager.'

For me, different desktops are just different virtual spaces where you keep various collections of windows. I don't think this has anything to do with your issue. A window manager controls the appearance of windows (the frames and buttons) and gives you a way of interacting with them. I think this *may* have something to do with your issue - you want to make sure that the windows manager compiz is running.

yossell

Geffers
November 23rd, 2009, 08:37 PM
It still might be of help if you told me what URM meant.

It may just be different terminology, but for me `desktop' isn't the same as 'window manager.'

For me, different desktops are just different virtual spaces where you keep various collections of windows. I don't think this has anything to do with your issue. A window manager controls the appearance of windows (the frames and buttons) and gives you a way of interacting with them. I think this *may* have something to do with your issue - you want to make sure that the windows manager compiz is running.

yossell

Apologies for lack of explanation.

URM is Ubuntu's netbook version and stands for Ubuntu ReMix, it is a cut down version of a normal desktop/laptop OS and uses Gnome. The actual desktop is optimised for the smaller screen and as such lacks some of obvious features of the Gnome Windows Manager.

Geffers