PDA

View Full Version : mediamonkey fun

nadian
November 21st, 2009, 01:51 PM
Coming from windows to ubuntu i was very keen to use my favourite music manager in ubuntu - Mediamonkey, oh ...the troubles i've seen. I found there was no linux version (yet) so instead followed some very complicated wiki instructions to get it running on wine, what a palava, and it still didn't work properly. So I considered virtual box solution but, again it was a bit complicated - for a newbie like me - and had performance drawbacks. I rethought and decided to try linux alternatives so i tried: rhythmbox, songbird, banshee, amarok, atunes (and maybe some others that I've forgotten now) but none of them worked well with very large music collections that need extensive and detailed re-tagging (like Mediamonkey does...) finally I came across Gmusicbroser and it covered most of the things I needed. Retagging in detail, grabbing album art, handling very large collections, a plethora of ways to organise, search and playlist music, ratings e.t.c
It's not perfect - I don't think it stores the ratings in the ID tag (although I think they are working on this) It doesn't import ratings from mediamonkey. It's interface/GUI isn't pretty or modern but you can't have everything. If anyone ever asks for mediamonkey now I'll definitely point them in the direction of Gmusicplayer. I can finally relax and just enjoy my music.

Sealbhach
November 21st, 2009, 07:03 PM
That's interesting, I'd never heard of it. What's up with the GUI that you don't like? From looking at this page here it seems to look reasonably OK: http://gmusicbrowser.org/

How big is your collection, by the way? I'm surprised Banshee or Rhythmbox couldn't do the job adequately for you.

nadian
November 21st, 2009, 08:26 PM
Well rhythmbox and banshee both had trouble with 120gb music collection..displaying album art already saved in folders, retrieving album art for badly tagged files and retagging every part of idv2 tags (or 3 not sure) when necessary, As far as gmusic's look, well its OK, basic windows type environment, but I come from a design background and to me it looks outdated compared to say songbird, I prefer newer slicker interfaces - i.e adobe lightroom GUI e.t.c. But gmusic is very fast not just at adding big librarys but also updating it when new music is added - all other programs failed this speed test (perhaps they are not designed to work with such large music libraries?

Uncle Spellbinder
November 21st, 2009, 08:47 PM
Exaile has worked wonders for me. I was/am a MediaMonkey user on Windows. But in Ubuntu, I absolutely love Exaile. I have 139,000 mp3 files. All full albums, separated into categories. 1.5 terrabytes worth in 2 folders on 2 external hard drives. Exaile scanned everything, accurately, in less than 25 minutes. Amarok took more than 11 hours. And since Banshee and Rhythmboox do not have the capability to add more than one folder, I won't use them

Exaile all the way.

nadian
November 21st, 2009, 09:09 PM
I think I tried exaile but automatic album art downloading never worked for me as so many of my files are badly tagged, in gmusic i can search for album art within the program and alter the search terms until i get what i need

aladinonl
November 21st, 2009, 10:27 PM
I think I tried exaile but automatic album art downloading never worked for me as so many of my files are badly tagged, in gmusic i can search for album art within the program and alter the search terms until i get what i need
with my 300GB of music, it's a waste of time for any music player and manager to load. So i just gave up on them. Now i use moc to play music, super light, and file manager to manage.

chucky chuckaluck
November 21st, 2009, 10:51 PM
quodlibet might be worth looking at.

nadian
November 21st, 2009, 10:59 PM
quodlibet might be worth looking at.
looks interesting, how does it support album coverart downloads?

lazka
November 22nd, 2009, 09:45 AM
looks interesting, how does it support album coverart downloads?

My PPA has the new albumart plugin: https://launchpad.net/~lazka/+archive/ppa