PDA

View Full Version : A couple of thoughts on Windows 7 and Linux

davbren
November 21st, 2009, 12:22 PM
I know, I know, same old rant right?

Perhaps not. I'll try not to be boring. Everything I say here is not attacking either party. I've thought long and hard about the conclusions I've drawn.

OK here goes...

I've been using Windows 7 quite a lot recently. Not necessarily through choice, it just usurped grub :(

This is neither here nor there though. I actually quite like it. In a similar way that I like KDE4.3...

In fact, if I squint, they are pretty much indistinguishable. So, what differences are there between the two. Why should I pay for Windows when I can get Linux for free??

Well its the age old argument I'm afraid. Software. I know there is plenty of software out there for Linux. much of which is extremely good. Tools that really help you on your way. Simple little applications that have one specific task and completes it with the utmost ease.

But, well... OOo just isn't Office; and Gimp just isn't Photoshop. I get that the average user won't need these tools. It's true, but let us not forget that both of these alternatives (and many more) are also available for Windows.

Security, aahhhh security... Windows has always had its problems with it. Some of it is to do with its popularity and some is because of the failings of the pre-internet architecture that it persists on using. We all know the antivirus and spyware hell that is the required maintenance of ones PC every now and then. Something that isn't needed on Linux. That, I agree, is fantastic. I love that about Linux. I can be carefree while surfing, emailing and searching my Windows network. But then...if you wanted a UNIX based system couldn't you buy a mac?

I definitely think there is a place for Linux. A place where people can let their creativity run wild. Make their OS, *THEIR* OS. Its important to have the choice. But as it stands, I see no reason to switch from the mainstream. Unless of course you have something against proprietary software (which I can understand). There is nothing Linux offers that I can't get from the others.

I think Canonical has done wonders for Ubuntu and Linux as a whole. Closing that gap on Microsoft and Apple. Mark Shuttleworth and his vast fortune has allowed us to make our vision of a distribution, how we want it to be. My issue is that Mark is one man, with one pot of gold. It's his money and we should not expect him to spend it all on something he won't get anything back from. If Linux is going to succeed, we'll need backing from others. He can't do this alone. We'll know when Linux is a truly viable desktop OS when Microsoft and Adobe release ports for their software...

my two cents...

Any offerings?

stinger30au
November 21st, 2009, 01:15 PM
give it time

ubuntu is still only a fairly new o/s even though it has been round about 5 years or so

it is getting more and more publicity and more and more users and more and more userfriendly

i believe ubuntu will be *THE* o/s to make damage to microsoft desktop dominance and that other companies will come onboard and help with porting of s/w be it apps,tools,games etc

we live in very exciting times ya know ;)

davbren
November 21st, 2009, 05:27 PM
oh, I fully intend on waiting/installing each and every version of Ubuntu. I'm just now aware that while there is no functional reason why I, or anyone else, should avoid Linux. There is no reason why people should switch to it...

These are exciting times, and more marketing does need to be done. This is where other people with lots of money need to come in. Someone needs to take some of the strain from Mark Shuttleworth. Things are starting to accelerate, which is great. But there is still an awful lot to do...

NFblaze
November 21st, 2009, 06:05 PM
I dont pay for Office. I either use OO on our communal computer with XP, my laptop with Linux or Microsoft Works (extremely crappy version of Word) with Windows.

If I want a unix environment I should buy a Mac? I dont think I would do that as I would kinda be locked-in, and Macs are pretty expensive devices. Also, I just dont see the point of paying for a Mac and mac-related hardware when I can get Linux with a bit more freedom.

Also, I dont bet on MS releasing ports of their software. Adobe, yes maybe but how much Adobe software does the average computer user really use?

I think Ubuntu and Linux in general will takeoff as it becomes more popular and synonymous as an OS, with Mac and Windows.

SunnyRabbiera
November 21st, 2009, 06:53 PM
For me there are several good reasons to go linux:
1: Linux is free to install and upgrade, no questions asked, no stupid activation codes, limitations or lock ins.
2: Linux can be used by anybody just like Windows or OSX if given the chance, if linux was offered more hardware support (though its slowly getting better) then we would have a real fight on our hands.
3: Linux gives me personal freedom, there is no company telling me that I dont own the OS like with Win7 or OSX. I like the freedom linux offers.
4: If you need Windows software most of it can run in linux with wine, or you can run windows in a virtualbox. These are not perfect solutions but they get the job done.

I am not saying linux is perfect, though its pretty close when you have the right hardware for it.
The same can be said about Windows, it too only works with the right hardware.
If you buy a computer from a store with windows pre installed everything works fine but on a fresh install things on windows are not as ideal as they seem.
I have seen windows fail to detect hardware, sometimes just as much as linux.

davbren
November 22nd, 2009, 12:50 PM
For me there are several good reasons to go linux:
1: Linux is free to install and upgrade, no questions asked, no stupid activation codes, limitations or lock ins.
2: Linux can be used by anybody just like Windows or OSX if given the chance, if linux was offered more hardware support (though its slowly getting better) then we would have a real fight on our hands.
3: Linux gives me personal freedom, there is no company telling me that I dont own the OS like with Win7 or OSX. I like the freedom linux offers.
4: If you need Windows software most of it can run in linux with wine, or you can run windows in a virtualbox. These are not perfect solutions but they get the job done.

I am not saying linux is perfect, though its pretty close when you have the right hardware for it.
The same can be said about Windows, it too only works with the right hardware.
If you dont buy a computer from a store with windows pre installed everything works fine but on a fresh install things on windows are not as ideal as they seem.
I have seen windows fail to detect hardware, sometimes just as much as linux.

This is sorta the point I was trying to make. There definite advantages to using Linux. Freedom being one of them. However, you were saying 'unless you have it preinstalled, its not all that great', and that you, 'have had just as many hardware problems with Windows and Linux', again this is true, so why change? If Linux isn't offering anything better, then whats the point. I really want Linux to succeed and I'm sure it will, I'll be there using it. But until then, I find it very difficult to justify the struggles and workarounds that Ubuntu gives me on my laptop. I don't mind installing drivers for my hardware, I gladly do it in Linux for the graphics card, the codecs and the like. What I don't like, is when there is no fix. I have to find away to do something that is easily solved in Windows. If Windows fails me, I will have no hesitation to go back to Linux. I have nothing against it, or its philosophy. It just seems odd to me that so many of us almost preach to others of the superiority of Linux over Windows. Well...it just isn't. Sure it has the potential to be.

Don't get me wrong. I really like Linux. I like its freedom. I like its philosophy. It just needs time.

SunnyRabbiera
November 22nd, 2009, 01:29 PM
Ignore the "If you dont buy a computer from a store with windows pre installed everything works fine" in my post I meant if you do buy, I was multiposting and wrote "dont buy" I meant "do buy"
I was distraced by my multipost tactics.
I sometimes write stuff on two forums at once.

froggyswamp
November 22nd, 2009, 03:06 PM
For me the issues I can't stand in Windows are viruses, license limitations and the need to pay for every significant update (not to mention it constantly suspects I'm a terrorist or pirate).
Otherwise I'd be running windows because it has all those cool apps and games.

Just my 0.02 $ to this old diatribe.

davbren
November 23rd, 2009, 11:50 PM
hmm hardly a diatribe. But i take your point. The possibility of viruses is annoying, but if you're sensible, it is only a possibility. At the mo, it isn't possible to do what I need to do for university on my Linux box. Regrettably.

hoppipolla
November 24th, 2009, 12:09 AM
if you wanted a UNIX based system couldn't you buy a mac?

for less flexibility, a less powerful desktop than KDE... and all at a high cost? It's personal preference man...

I definitely think there is a place for Linux. A place where people can let their creativity run wild. Make their OS, *THEIR* OS. Its important to have the choice. But as it stands, I see no reason to switch from the mainstream. Unless of course you have something against proprietary software (which I can understand). There is nothing Linux offers that I can't get from the others.

Apart from a free OS, no viruses, no malware, unique branding, easy software downloads, a fast filesystem, quick and automatic updates, build-your-own-OS, multiple desktops as standard, compiz, kwin, better support for older hardware, better dual boot, no activation or license keys, fewer crashes and hangs (in my experience), faster performance (in my experience), community and contributive elements, greater customization of desktop etc, plasma, easy and well integrated scripts, bash prompt, Qt...

We'll know when Linux is a truly viable desktop OS when Microsoft and Adobe release ports for their software...

No, we'll know when it's truly viable when it reaches a high enough competitive quality to gain market share! Which in turn, will result in more software being released for it :)