PDA

View Full Version : Stencyl comming soon for Linux.

CJ Master
November 21st, 2009, 09:11 AM
http://www.stencyl.com/

Stencyl is an awesome game creation tool that's currently in private beta. You make games by creating "actors." You then assign Snipits to them for their functionality.

Snipits are honestly one of the best collaboration game creation ideas I've ever heard of or experienced. Snipits you make can be uploaded to stencyl forge, where OTHER people can plug them into their objects. Essentially, the amount of wasted effort drastically decreases. Is there not a snipit for dieing when you fall down a pit? Then you create one, and you can then upload it to stencyl forge so that other people seeking similar functionality can easily download it and add it to their own games.

I will warn you, however. While making a game's very easy if there's already snipits available, but if there's not a snipit available for an action you want to do, the snipit designer can be intimidating. Expect to do some research before making really worthwhile snipits.

But, really, the most exciting part (and the only reason I'm really posting this here) is because it and it's games are completely cross-platform. I'm really rather excited for that because I'm sure there'll be lots of great games that we'll soon be able to play (expect to see some of mine!), and it'll be nice having a game creation IDE for linux.

The whole temporary downside though, as I said at the beginning, is it's in private beta. I'm currently under a non-disclosure agreement, so what I can tell you is pretty limited (actually, I hope I didn't breach anything saying this much.)

But, trust me, this will be big. :) Well, at least for me. Is anyone else really excited for this?

Nerd King
November 21st, 2009, 09:57 AM
Signed up for this already, it's certainly something I'd be interested in playing with.

3rdalbum
November 21st, 2009, 12:08 PM
This sounds very interesting. I look forward to this.

CJ Master
November 21st, 2009, 07:55 PM
Signed up for this already, it's certainly something I'd be interested in playing with.

Signed up as in mailing list, or as in your a beta tester?

If you just signed up for the mailing list, you're probably not going to have the beta for a very long time, sorry to say. Post on the forums with your contributions, with some graphics, sounds, game ideas, ect, show you're enthusiastic and hope for the best for the best chance of getting in.

Vadi
November 21st, 2009, 09:22 PM
Neat. Hope it'll be available to general public soon enough.

kostkon
November 21st, 2009, 09:32 PM
Interesting, thanks.

CJ Master
November 22nd, 2009, 02:53 AM
Neat. Hope it'll be available to general public soon enough.

Public beta should be available before the first half of 2010, but don't quote me on that.

Nerd King
November 22nd, 2009, 02:57 AM
Signed up on the mailing list ages ago. Thing is how can I contribute if I know next to nothing about it? Honestly, I think they may have the wrong idea in that regard.

CJ Master
November 22nd, 2009, 03:06 AM
Signed up on the mailing list ages ago. Thing is how can I contribute if I know next to nothing about it? Honestly, I think they may have the wrong idea in that regard.

Post game ideas, post sprites, post music, make sure they know that you're serious about wanting Stencyl (and, of course, that you have the drive to use it.)