PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Better window switcher?

ThomasJ02
November 21st, 2009, 07:22 AM
Can anyone recommend a utility or configuration that enables easier switching between lots of windows on a single desktop? I usually have 3 emacs frames, a browser, and a couple terminals open at any given time while I code.

Switching between these with just Alt-Tab has become difficult - I often have to cycle between a half-dozen different icons and watch the screen at the same time to see which window is highlighted so I know when to release the Alt key to switch. Is there any better solution?

yossell
November 21st, 2009, 10:29 AM
If you're happy using compiz then it allows a key-combination will show snapshots of all windows tiled - and it's then just a matter of bringing focus to, either by mouse or with the cursor keys, the one you want. I find it really useful when I'm working with lots of windows and, if you turn off all the eye candy, it's unobtrusive too.

yossell

ThomasJ02
November 21st, 2009, 11:45 AM
Will compiz work without any kind of graphics card acceleration? I've got multiple monitors and I wasn't able to get them working and also have acceleration enabled.

yossell
November 21st, 2009, 02:57 PM
ah - I don't think it will, I'm afraid - not sure what else to suggest.

coffee
November 21st, 2009, 03:09 PM
I have not tried it yet but I did find this (http://weichen.wordpress.com/2007/01/05/superswitcher-a-nice-alttab-alternative/) article about Superswitcher.

"SuperSwitcher is a (more feature-ful) replacement for the Alt-Tab window switching behavior and Ctrl-Alt-Left/Right/Up/Down workspace switching behavior that is currently provided by Metacity."

The app can be downloaded from here (http://code.google.com/p/superswitcher/downloads/list).

I plan to give it a try at some point, not to sure when I will get to it. If you try it out soon let me know what you think.

coffee

ThomasJ02
November 21st, 2009, 03:24 PM
I had to download about a zillion dev packages to get it to compile, but it looks great. Two followup questions:
1. How can I nominate it for inclusion into Ubuntu? Is there something I personally can do to make it happen, like specifying dependencies or setting up build scripts or something?
2. How can I make it run every time I start X?