PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to get a superbar in KDE 4?

hoppipolla
November 21st, 2009, 04:26 AM
Sorry to start 3 threads in one day, but I was just wondering what that way was I heard about to get a superbar in KDE 4? It might be cool to play with, as often I do have a lot of apps open on each virtual desktop and it would be nice as an alternative!

Is it a plasmoid?

Thanks all!

Hoppi :)

Simian Man
November 21st, 2009, 04:32 AM
It's pretty funny you're asking how to make KDE emulate Windows 7 given your signature :).

Tipped OuT
November 21st, 2009, 04:34 AM
It's pretty funny you're asking how to make KDE emulate Windows 7 given your signature :).

+1 Although the Windows 7 Superbar does have a great functionality.

Islington
November 21st, 2009, 04:42 AM
yes it is the smooth tasks plasma widget from kde look.

Xbehave
November 21st, 2009, 04:49 AM
Smooth tasks is what you want, does anybody know if the latest version (may not be called smooth tasks as they fork like rabits) supports middle click close yet (i had to install the -middleclickclose fork)

lykwydchykyn
November 21st, 2009, 04:55 AM
Smooth tasks is what you want, does anybody know if the latest version (may not be called smooth tasks as they fork like rabits) supports middle click close yet (i had to install the -middleclickclose fork)

Yes; it also can be set for middle click to bring to current desktop.

hoppipolla
November 21st, 2009, 04:55 AM
+1 Although the Windows 7 Superbar does have a great functionality.

hey don't +1 that! lol

I have said MANY times that although I consider KDE to be a far superior desktop to Windows 7's, that doesn't stop me applauding some of it's features!

I love Quick Tiling (which will be in KDE in 4.4) and... the superbar is alright :)

EDIT -- oo and cool "Smooth Tasks".. I will try that :D

Skripka
November 21st, 2009, 04:59 AM
Yes; it also can be set for middle click to bring to current desktop.

I hadn't noticed that option in the dialogue before... :)

lykwydchykyn
November 21st, 2009, 05:11 AM
I hadn't noticed that option in the dialogue before... :)

It was added quite recently, within the last couple weeks or so. Smooth-tasks seems to be in rapid development.

Islington
November 21st, 2009, 05:14 AM
It was added quite recently, within the last couple weeks or so. Smooth-tasks seems to be in rapid development.

Actually the text on a vertical panel now works too. I love this widget.

Skripka
November 21st, 2009, 05:16 AM

I've been in a rush 18hrs a day for the last month-and haven't kept track of changes in config options...except for where explicitly warned otherwise in AUR/Pacman/advisories.

hoppipolla
November 21st, 2009, 05:23 AM
Smooth Tasks is quite cool I like it!

The only problem as far as I can see is that you can't smoothly move the icons like you can on Windows 7. Other than that it's the same or in some ways actually better :)

(Plus, if they're working on it fast as things seem to imply, I'm sure this feature will be implemented soon!)

I'll see how I get on with it anyway, I mainly just wanted to give it a blast as an alternative, as I do manage to clutter my taskbar pretty fast even when I'm only showing tasks from my current desktop!

EDIT -- My bad - you can get it to do this with the "Manual sorting" option! It's a tiny, tiny bit buggy, but yeah, tis awesome! :)

mivo
November 21st, 2009, 05:37 AM

Credibility is overrated if you can get attention instead. ;)

hoppipolla
November 21st, 2009, 05:40 AM
Credibility is overrated if you can get attention instead. ;)

o.O

Xbehave
November 21st, 2009, 07:16 AM
cool upgraded to smoothtast, even added it to somewhere i can always see it.

It's just brining compiz/kasbar features, which may have copied by win7, back :P

hoppipolla
November 21st, 2009, 04:07 PM
cool upgraded to smoothtast, even added it to somewhere i can always see it.

It's just brining compiz/kasbar features, which may have copied by win7, back :P

oh yeah I remember the kasbar! That was oldschool but it worked well ^_^

I am happy with Smooth Tasks atm actually, I admit the desktop does look cleaner with a superbar. I was never a fan of the dock, but I quite like this :)

praveesh
November 21st, 2009, 04:47 PM
There are two plasmoids named stasks and smoothtasks . From my experience smoothtasks was a bit resource hungry and made the system a bit slow. It was with kde 4.3.1 and with an old version of smoothtasks . I didn't install it in 4.3.3 .

One doubt . I haven't try the win7 . So I don't know what feature it has and that the kde doesn't has . Can you tell me what kde doesn't has? And does the smoothtask has all the features of windows 7 taskbar? If no , what are missing ?

RiceMonster
November 21st, 2009, 04:52 PM
One doubt . I haven't try the win7 . So I don't know what feature it has and that the kde doesn't has . Can you tell me what kde doesn't has? And does the smoothtask has all the features of windows 7 taskbar? If no , what are missing ?

You can't pin things to the taskbar and it doesn't have jump lists.

praveesh
November 21st, 2009, 05:03 PM
You can't pin things to the taskbar and it doesn't have jump lists.

Thanks!! . But as I have already told , I haven't try win7. Can you please explain what the pinning to taskbar and jump lists are ?

praveesh
November 21st, 2009, 05:10 PM
Sorry to start 3 threads in one day
wow , you started restricting the number of threads ? What happened?

SunnyRabbiera
November 21st, 2009, 07:03 PM
For me I dislike the win7 superbar, its no different then the OSX dock.
Regular task manager for me

Tipped OuT
November 21st, 2009, 07:13 PM

Then you obviously haven't used it before.

Dharmachakra
November 21st, 2009, 07:17 PM

What a joke. ](*,)

SunnyRabbiera
November 21st, 2009, 08:36 PM
Then you obviously haven't used it before.

I have, and no its not that much different then OSX's dock.
Other then a few things here and there.

omar8
November 21st, 2009, 09:23 PM
I have, and no its not that much different then OSX's dock.
Other then a few things here and there.

Same as OSX's dock? Have you even used it?

Tipped OuT
November 21st, 2009, 09:25 PM
Same as OSX's dock? Have you even used it?

He claims he has, but I doubt it. Either that, or he never used Mac OSX's dock before.

hoppipolla
November 21st, 2009, 09:34 PM
He claims he has, but I doubt it. Either that, or he never used Mac OSX's dock before.
To be honest they are fairly similar. I always see the superbar as pretty much a combined taskbar and dock, although it seems to handle multiple windows better. Overall, I prefer the superbar :)

SunnyRabbiera
November 21st, 2009, 10:28 PM
To be honest they are fairly similar. I always see the superbar as pretty much a combined taskbar and dock, although it seems to handle multiple windows better. Overall, I prefer the superbar :)

Me I can deal without docks or win7's "superbar"
Panels do fine for me
But yes win7's multi window management in the superbar is one of the few things that differs it from the OSX dock, but for me the two are just too simular.

hoppipolla
November 22nd, 2009, 03:26 AM
Me I can deal without docks or win7's "superbar"
Panels do fine for me
But yes win7's multi window management in the superbar is one of the few things that differs it from the OSX dock, but for me the two are just too simular.

well, I also find the superbar sits MUCH nicer on the screen. My biggest issue with the dock was always that it just ends up too big. I don't know whether to hide it, cover it, set it to pop in and out of view, maximize windows above it... I just can't work out how to USE the thing! lol

The superbar is obvious and simple and logical! heh :)

isantop
April 1st, 2010, 03:20 AM

Sorry for an older quote.

Windows 7 does indeed have a lot going for it in terms of design and usability, I have to admit. The problem lies in its implementation. It doesn't really take 8 GB of code to run a computer, with Ubuntu as a prime example.