PDA

View Full Version : Sabayon Linux.

dragos240
November 21st, 2009, 12:45 AM
Hmm..... I really would like to try this. It's based on gentoo and seems to come with essential applications. I really like this idea. :) Lets see if it works. The only problem I am having with it, is finding how to squeeze it's 2GB iso onto a CD :-k. It's probably for a DVD. But unetbootin should put this onto a USB drive just fine.

-grubby
November 21st, 2009, 12:50 AM
DVD distros require DVDs. It will be a painful, tedious process to make it work on a CD.

Use unetbootin.

Crunchy the Headcrab
It's probably for a DVD.
Haha. Yeah, definitely so. I've stopped burning iso's to discs because I install different distros all the time. I just keep one usb drive that I boot from and I have a bunch of iso's on the hard drive of another computer that I can swap on to that one usb drive. Cheap and effective.

dragos240
DVD distros require DVDs. It will be a painful, tedious process to make it work on a CD.

Use unetbootin.

That was my plan!

-grubby
November 21st, 2009, 12:52 AM
That was my plan!

You should get a Twitter account.

dragos240
November 21st, 2009, 01:01 AM

Not really into that type of stuff. Doesn't exactly interest me.

beastrace91
November 21st, 2009, 01:04 AM
I quiet enjoyed my stay on Sabayon Linux - it is a relatively solid distro. The only reason I ended up coming back to Ubuntu was easy of use, while their equo/sulfur package manager is alright it just does not compare to apt-get (or even yum for that manner). And the biggest draw back is that using equo with portage (emerge) causes random things in the OS as a whole to break.

~Jeff

-grubby
November 21st, 2009, 01:07 AM
Not really into that type of stuff. Doesn't exactly interest me.

Well, what exactly was the point of this thread?

dragos240
November 21st, 2009, 01:18 AM

Well. I thought I would share my thoughts about the distro with my community. I start topics such as these. :D

-grubby
November 21st, 2009, 01:20 AM
Well. I thought I would share my thoughts about the distro with my community. I start topics such as these. :D

The Twitter input box has:

"What's happening?" above it as a label.

Threads aren't usually for telling people what you're doing, and if I wanted to know I'd go to your (so far non-existant) twitter account.

Keyper7
November 21st, 2009, 01:21 AM

Best. Remark. Ever.

dragos240
November 21st, 2009, 01:22 AM
The Twitter input box has:

"What's happening?" above it as a label.

Threads aren't usually for telling people what you're doing, and if I wanted to know I'd go to your (so far non-existant) twitter account.

I see. I never really looked into the point of those sites.

Keyper7
November 21st, 2009, 01:26 AM
I see. I never really looked into the point of those sites.

So... you're "not really into" and "not exactly interested in" something you don't know what is?

NoaHall
November 21st, 2009, 01:29 AM
It's based on Gentoo isn't it? What are the benefits? I might have a play, if I'm bored.

dragos240
November 21st, 2009, 01:30 AM
So... you're "not really into" and "not exactly interested in" something you don't know what is?

Those "social networking" sites never sparked my interest. I think that I would use identi.ca more than twitter. I really don't llike twitter's look. Nice and plain is where I stand.

hansdown
November 21st, 2009, 01:33 AM
It's based on Gentoo isn't it? What are the benefits? I might have a play, if I'm bored.

The saybayon 4.1 live disk has Sauerbraten, Nexius, Second Life, and Battle for Wesnoth for some gaming.

NoaHall
November 21st, 2009, 01:34 AM
The saybayon 4.1 live disk has Sauerbraten, Nexius, Second Life, and Battle for Wesnoth for some gaming.

What? Is that it? A bit of a let down, to be honest....

dragos240
November 21st, 2009, 01:35 AM

Indeed it is! All the fun of gentoo, minus the wait.

Keyper7
November 21st, 2009, 01:42 AM
Those "social networking" sites never sparked my interest. I think that I would use identi.ca more than twitter. I really don't llike twitter's look. Nice and plain is where I stand.

What I meant is that it doesn't make sense to say you're not into something whose point you never really looked into. If you don't know the point, what exactly you're not into?

</hijack>

dragos240
November 21st, 2009, 01:45 AM
I agree.

Greg
November 21st, 2009, 01:47 AM
Indeed it is! All the fun of gentoo, minus the wait.

Doesn't that defeat the point? I know sometimes you want a system right now that you customize later, but it's not like it's a minimal preinstalled base. It's a big distro. What's the point of Gentoo without USE-flags?

EDIT: Note, I've never used Sabayon

Keyper7
November 21st, 2009, 01:48 AM
Back on topic: I'm not an expert on Gentoo and its advantages, but doesn't giving precompiled packages like Sabayon does defeats one of its purposes (fine-grained pre-compiling customization)?

EDIT: Greg beat me to it.

dragos240
November 21st, 2009, 01:48 AM
Doesn't that defeat the point? I know sometimes you want a system right now that you customize later, but it's not like it's a minimal preinstalled base. It's a big distro. What's the point of Gentoo without USE-flags?

EDIT: Note, I've never used Sabayon

Well. You can always edit make.conf. That should work.

hansdown
November 21st, 2009, 01:49 AM
What? Is that it? A bit of a let down, to be honest....

There is more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabayon_Linux

Greg
November 21st, 2009, 01:51 AM
Well. You can always edit make.conf. That should work.

Aren't you back to compiling again then?

dragos240
November 21st, 2009, 01:53 AM
Aren't you back to compiling again then?

Yes. You would me recompiling them. But at least you have a stable environment to build from.

Greg
November 21st, 2009, 01:57 AM
Yes. You would me recompiling them. But at least you have a stable environment to build from.

But the packages that would really affect speed are already compiled, so you end up recompiling your entire system anyway... personally, I think it's counterintuitive. If it had a basic set up it would be one thing, but a DVD installer is way too much.

dragos240
November 21st, 2009, 01:59 AM
But the packages that would really affect speed are already compiled, so you end up recompiling your entire system anyway... personally, I think it's counterintuitive. If it had a basic set up it would be one thing, but a DVD installer is way too much.
I don't think you NEED to recompile everything. I just want to.

NoaHall
November 21st, 2009, 02:04 AM
There is more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabayon_Linux

I see... so what form are these pre-complied files in? As in, .bin or something?

dragos240
November 21st, 2009, 02:06 AM
I see... so what form are these pre-complied files in? As in, .bin or something?

Probably no extention. They are most likely ELF files.

NoaHall
November 21st, 2009, 02:11 AM
Probably no extention. They are most likely ELF files.

Ah, I see, so it's only the programs from the repos that are pre-complied? And it has the same size repos as the Gentoo repos? Hm. I'd rather Gentoo myself.

forrestcupp
November 21st, 2009, 04:16 AM
I tried Sabayon Linux a few years ago. I loved it. I got really tired of compiling everything, though. That was before they had precompiled packages. I did like its set up and the fact that it came with a lot of necessary non-free things installed.

BenAshton24
November 21st, 2009, 04:27 AM
Sabayon is the second distro that I ever tried... but not really because I tried Ubuntu and then 10 minutes later, tried Sabayon. It was in a very early stage when I tried it but it was already really epic, full compiz working straight away, if it weren't for the slight instability I would most likely be an avid sabayon user instead of an avid ubuntu user :P.

I highly recommend trying it :D

Ben.

pwnst*r
November 21st, 2009, 08:29 PM

lol