PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] just burned instal disk and only "boot from hard disk" does anything

juntjoo
November 21st, 2009, 12:14 AM
anyone know of this problem? you know where you have the options to check the disk for errors or check the memory(i guess of your system?), and a couple other options but none of them worked on two disks i just burned which i had verified as good the "md5 sum"'s for both.

funny thing is, i figured maybe the burning process is a delicate one which i could make sure i followed properly with the guide this forum has here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CdDvd/Burning

but it only guides those using a ubuntu GUI unless i misread that page. i guess that assumes i'm using the trial mode on my working machine to make this CD. well, i hope i don't have to go through that trouble. do i? i just burned these disks with this freeware utility called ISORecorderV2RC1.

does anyone here use windows and have experience with burning iso's or know of any other solution to my particular problem? thanks a bunch.

mikewhatever
November 21st, 2009, 12:48 AM
There is a link in the very beginning saying BurningISOhowto. (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto) The guide is for Windows Linux and MAC.
What happens exactly when you try booting? Any error messages?

juntjoo
November 22nd, 2009, 12:48 AM
okay, this page suggests a particular proagram. ill try it out and report back. thanks!

efflandt
November 22nd, 2009, 01:23 AM
Are you saying you do get as far as the language selection and menu behind that, but nothing seems to happan after you mke one of those selections? It can take awhile to boot from CD, seemingly blanking your screen at times.

So not sure if you do have an issue or are impatient. I did have one CD that seemed to never come up with anything after selecting to install from initial menu. But when I booted the CD to a live system, I was able to install from there. That was an old PIII 550 that took a considerable number of minutes to boot into the live system.

juntjoo
November 24th, 2009, 08:13 PM
thank you all very much. problem solved. used infra recorder successfully.