PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Question about Alternate Install CD

darkod
November 20th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Hi all. New to Ubuntu so pardon my question.
If I understand correctly, the only difference between the "standard" desktop install CD and the alternate install is that the alternate is not with GUI during install?
Of course, it has few more options like LVM & RAID, but about the actual install process the GUI is only difference? When it finishes the install do you get the same desktop or not?
I remember the early versions of Fedora you had to select desktop to install otherwise you end up with only text based system. :)
I am interested in the LVM capability of the alternate installer but I do not want to end up with a text based system. :)

hangman_jdf
November 20th, 2009, 11:24 PM
I used the alternate CD for a desktop install. As far as I know it gives the same result. I use the alternate CD because in previous installs the video/X11 gave me some problems - blank screen.

darkod
November 20th, 2009, 11:27 PM
So when you rebooted immediately after install you got the graphical desktop without needing to install anything to make it happen?

stlsaint
November 20th, 2009, 11:37 PM
yes the alt.cd will give you an install just as well as the livecd. (which is the difference between the two) livecd=1)live. 2) GUI, alternate cd = NOT live, 2) Text Based. 3) more customizing of install...(IMHO)

so to again answer your question...after you complete a successful alt. cd install and reboot than yes you will have a ready to go desktop according to your specifications setting during install.

hope i helped

darkod
November 20th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Indeed you did. Thanks.

sisco311
November 20th, 2009, 11:48 PM
If memory serves, at some point of the installation, you are asked if you want to install additional components, like xubuntu-desktop, mythbuntu-desktop, kubuntu-desktop, LAMP... ubuntu-desktop is selected by default.

Subbu_09
November 21st, 2009, 08:08 AM
yes the alt.cd will give you an install just as well as the livecd. (which is the difference between the two) livecd=1)live. 2) GUI, alternate cd = NOT live, 2) Text Based. 3) more customizing of install...(IMHO)

so to again answer your question...after you complete a successful alt. cd install and reboot than yes you will have a ready to go desktop according to your specifications setting during install.

hope i helped

Hi,

I have an alternate CD, but I do not see the option to use it as a LIVE CD - that is, "install ubuntu without any changes to your computer". Are there any special commands to do it from the alternate CD? Please let me know. I am new to Linux and I am struck here as I downloded the alternate CD by mistake - and I want to try it first before thinking of installing it permanently - though it will only be on a dual boot basis with Windows XP, that is later.

If I understand your post here, my alternate CD should also have the option to try it as a LIVE CD first. But I don't see it. Can you help me out?

Thanks
Subbu.