PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] downloaded ubuntu "cd image" but it's a rar file that doesn't extract a cd image

juntjoo
November 20th, 2009, 07:15 PM
and according to the directions on how to use some checksum program to verify the download's integrity, you are supposed to be working with an iso file, but as my title explains, i have a .rar file that extracts to seperate files, and not a single iso file. btw, i'm downloading the oldest version of ubuntu because the newer ones are too difficult for me to figure out. is this linux community for extra smart people or something because i'm not feeling this whole linux experience to be "user friendly". whatever, i'm not that smart i guess and i'm ready to throw ubuntu down the toilet and return back to the comforting arms of bill gates.

juntjoo
November 20th, 2009, 07:25 PM
another thing i should mention is that the reason i am going through the trouble of checking the cd is because it is not auto booting in either of my two computers, though through windows it works, but it's not the computer that has windows that i am trying to install it on. i can't figure out ever what i'm doing wrong going through the steps i find in this forum. the page says "download ubuntu cd image" but it didn't give me a cd image at all did it? i'd really appreciate any help anyone can give me. i really do want to be part of this linux community and break free from my reliance on windows, not to mention this xp disk i got in 1999 is bound to stop working on me, but i guess i need some extra training here. thanx in advance.

vexorian
November 20th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Try posting the URL you used to download the "cd image" from.

juntjoo
November 20th, 2009, 07:36 PM
oh just this one:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

so i might have a case here uh?

kerry_s
November 20th, 2009, 07:36 PM
and according to the directions on how to use some checksum program to verify the download's integrity, you are supposed to be working with an iso file, but as my title explains, i have a .rar file that extracts to seperate files, and not a single iso file. btw, i'm downloading the oldest version of ubuntu because the newer ones are too difficult for me to figure out. is this linux community for extra smart people or something because i'm not feeling this whole linux experience to be "user friendly". whatever, i'm not that smart i guess and i'm ready to throw ubuntu down the toilet and return back to the comforting arms of bill gates.

if you don't get it from the official site, then it could be anything, there are no "rars":
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

kerry_s
November 20th, 2009, 07:41 PM
oops, you posted at the same time. ;)

it's an "iso", not rar. see pic

juntjoo
November 20th, 2009, 07:42 PM
i promise that is where i got it from. is it possible my winrar program took it over somehow and ... err, doesn't make sense. so i just took the link that last fellow here(thanks) gave me, which is the same place i was at, and redownloaded it, and firefox prompted me to confirm that i wanted to re-downloaded this file i already downloaded, which now the new one has .iso at the end, (but the older one doesnt?), so i'm doing it again. i'll see what happens... thanks ya'll.

Shazaam
November 20th, 2009, 07:43 PM
If you downloaded it with Windows some Windows apps will hijack your file associations (WinRAR, Nero, etc). Try renaming it back to .iso

juntjoo
November 20th, 2009, 07:50 PM
and it appears i'm downloading an iso right now, but i swear the first time i ended up with a file that winrar extracted into a folder. lemme post a screen shot....:popcorn:.. okay, so now that i've attached my pic, how to type beneath it rather than here above it... oh geez...

juntjoo
November 20th, 2009, 07:52 PM
so i'll type here to get beneath it. so as you can see i've ended up with a rar file that i can, and as you can see did before, extract to a folder, which inside are just cd contents, but no iso. anyway, still downloading my latest .iso image. about a 1/2 hour left...

juntjoo
November 20th, 2009, 07:54 PM
If you downloaded it with Windows some Windows apps will hijack your file associations (WinRAR, Nero, etc). Try renaming it back to .iso
yeah, that is what i was thinking, so i'll try that if that is what happens again. but it doesn't make sense that winrar is still able to extract it as if it were a rar file... or is it just extracting from the iso?? must be right, however it's doing that.

juntjoo
November 20th, 2009, 08:21 PM
thanks for all of your help! i got tired of waiting for the download to finish which was taking forever because my roommate has been playing online video games, so since i had happened to extract the iso image earlier i took that folder and with this freeware program i found folder2iso i'm now converting it back to iso and that should solve my problem.

btw, winrar didn't rename it, but it just covered the file with it's icon clothing making it look like a rar file, and misled me into thinking i had to extract it, when really it was fine as it was and ready to burn from there probably, but i had "extracted" it with winrar because of the confusion.

sanderd17
November 20th, 2009, 08:25 PM
The iso is just the image to put on the CD, it contains the complete structure of what should come on the CD. So it's normal that a good packaging tool can read the contents. hope it's installing right now, if something doesn't work, post it here.

vexorian
November 20th, 2009, 08:51 PM
.iso files can actually be 'extracted' by winrar and some other programs, the result is that you get all the files in the CD.

Avinaash
June 28th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Right click on the file > open with >> choose default program >> Windows Disk Image Burner

Thats it! See your .iso file \\:D/

oldos2er
June 28th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Old thread closed; please don't bump old threads.