PDA

View Full Version : Poofy The Eye Candy God!

mstlyevil
February 20th, 2006, 03:06 AM
How many of you have tried something from one of Poofy's eye candy guides? I started this thread to let people express their gratitude for the hard work of Poofy and to discuss the different eye candy How-To's that poofy has written and how they have helped you improve your Ubuntu eye candy experience. Those who have or are using the guides please take a minute to post your experiences.

I personally have tried 3Ddesktop, An Aquatic Desktop and The Knome Guide. 3Ddesktop is uber kewl but I found it likes to spike my CPU usage even when I am not using it. Otherwise I would have left it installed. Desktop Waves is also uber kewl but I found I rarely actually used it because it tended to distract me. I currently am using kwin and it's effects on both Gnome and XFCE thanks to Poofy's help. I love the fade and transparent windows. The shadows are great also but they are not as defining in a rich eye candy experience as the other two.

Thank you Poofy and continue the great work. We really do appreciate all you are sharing with us. \\:D/

Edit: Poofy did not write the guide for 3ddesktop. It was written by anil_robo. Thanks to him for that great guide also.

By popular demand, a complete list of poofy's guides.

A Link To Poofy's Guides (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/search.php?searchid=3914030)

Thanx to GreyFox503 for providing the link.

majikstreet
February 20th, 2006, 03:18 AM
I've done 3ddesktop, but yeah that's not poofy..

I've also done aquatic desktop. That's awesome! Soon I will have my graphics card and will follow his nvidia+xgl howto in the dapper drake forum. I've also done a little bit with kwin and gnome, but not transparency.

Rotarychainsaw
February 20th, 2006, 03:20 AM
I used his XGL guide. Thats probably the last guide though... I mean, how much more candy can you get?!

mstlyevil
February 20th, 2006, 03:20 AM
I've done 3ddesktop, but yeah that's not poofy..

I've also done aquatic desktop. That's awesome! Soon I will have my graphics card and will follow his nvidia+xgl howto in the dapper drake forum. I've also done a little bit with kwin and gnome, but not transparency.

Once you get that Nvidia card kwin will do the transparencies just fine. I am waiting for Dapper to become at least a release canidate before I decide to install it.

majikstreet
February 20th, 2006, 03:37 AM
Once you get that Nvidia card kwin will do the transparencies just fine. I am waiting for Dapper to become at least a release canidate before I decide to install it.
I didn't even try transparency.. I knew I couldn't do it.

mstlyevil
February 20th, 2006, 05:09 AM
I didn't even try transparency.. I knew I couldn't do it.

You need to hurry up and get that Nvidia card. :mrgreen:

poofyhairguy
February 20th, 2006, 10:41 AM
***Blush***

Yeah, my Nvidia was worth every penny I paid for it.

Mr_J_
February 20th, 2006, 01:00 PM
I've gotten to use some of your Howtos and they're great!
Aquatic Desktop was some eye candy that made some die hard windows users think twice about linux.
Some others I believe you made about several bits and odd ends as to make everything shinny!
Last one I was going to use was the XGL one, but I can't get Dapper to use my wifi connection... I'll try to get that one to work later on, or I'll wait until dapper hits RC...

My Nvidia 6600GT 128MB DDR3 Gamers Edition PCI-E was worth all the money I payed for it because of you!

codejunkie
February 20th, 2006, 01:18 PM
i think i've tried almost all of his eyecandy guides and poofy you have made an eyecandy *****'s dreams come true many times big thanks to ya poof.

fuscia
February 20th, 2006, 02:45 PM
i'm not an eye candy person, but poofy helped me get here. so, thanks again, poof.

mstlyevil
February 20th, 2006, 03:10 PM
I've gotten to use some of your Howtos and they're great!
Aquatic Desktop was some eye candy that made some die hard windows users think twice about linux.
Some others I believe you made about several bits and odd ends as to make everything shinny!
Last one I was going to use was the XGL one, but I can't get Dapper to use my wifi connection... I'll try to get that one to work later on, or I'll wait until dapper hits RC...

My Nvidia 6600GT 128MB DDR3 Gamers Edition PCI-E was worth all the money I payed for it because of you!

I have transfered all my files off of my Fat32 partition so I can resize it to place Dapper on it just for the purpose of playing with xgl. I will Still have my Breezy partition and my Wintendo XP partition for my other evil uses.

rjwood
February 20th, 2006, 03:39 PM
I've tried every "PHG' guide I've found and have had success every time.
Your guides are clear, concise and fun. One reason I am not afraid to try your guides is because you offer a way out if it seems too HAIRY (pun intended).

Another very important part of this for me at least is your overall demeanor. You are polite and positive in all your posts. You don't brag and you compilment others for their work as you did with tseliot when you commended him for his 'how to's'. Your one of my favorite people on these forums.

Now for a criticism:D. Being a person of finance, I need to caution you. If you are spending money like you spend my CPU's, you may want to consider financial planning of some sort.:D!!

BTW I didn't name my XGL 'thefuture', I call it 'poof'!;)

majikstreet
February 20th, 2006, 04:01 PM
lol @ the hairy thing..

anyway, thanks poofy!

the..nvidia...is....shipping... I ordered it friday from newegg and it went from step one to step three in five minutes :D It took until Sunday to get to step five. Now I recieved the UPS tracking number. So, it's on its way!

But, sadly, it's a PCI card; I have no AGP slot. It's a "XFX PVT64KUAF7 Geforce FX5200 256MB DDR PCI Video Card"

Every time I see XGL demos and threads I start to get really impatient..

majikstreet

matrooswolf
February 20th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Thanks Poofs! Love your work! Did the kwin guide and am waiting to try the Xgl guide

angkor
February 20th, 2006, 06:55 PM
=D>

Poof was a mere mortal ;) to me untill he came round like santa and dropped the xgl guide at my doorstep, then he became an angel. :) The true Gods of Eye Candy are the ones who developed this beautiful piece of software. But I have to say: Thanks again, Poofy!

GreyFox503
February 20th, 2006, 07:07 PM
to mstlyevil:

I was able to find the guides by searching the forums, but you need links in your post or no one will know what you're talking about. Here's one:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/search.php?searchid=3914030

I haven't tried the guides yet, but I plan on doing so.

Iandefor
February 20th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Lessee... I've used his Luminocity guide, his compositing guide, his Enlightened GNOME guide, his KNOME guide... oh, and the aquatic desktop guide. Thanks a lot, Poofy! You rock!

mstlyevil
February 20th, 2006, 07:58 PM
to mstlyevil:

I was able to find the guides by searching the forums, but you need links in your post or no one will know what you're talking about. Here's one:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/search.php?searchid=3914030

I haven't tried the guides yet, but I plan on doing so.

Sorry bout that. I will edit my first post to reflect those guides.

GreyFox503
February 20th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Uh oh. For some reason that search link is no longer valid. :(

Well, here are links to the individual guides (hopefully these won't dissappear too!)

Composite Manager
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=75527

Enlightened Gnome
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=54476

XGL
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=131267

Knome
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=115974

Luminocity
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=45202

Aquatic Desktop
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=112333

poofyhairguy
February 20th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Thanks a lot for your appreciation. I do my best to allow as many others as to try out the newest stuff in the eye candy world.

I am no god though- people who actually do the work are the gods. I just give others access. Each has a role to play, and I'm happy to fufill my role...

mstlyevil
February 21st, 2006, 03:50 AM
Everyone one who can and has a supported video card should make a small partition to install Dapper so they can install XGL. I just did it because I just could not wait any longer to try it out and you have to see it in action to believe it. I definitely recomend poofy's guide in the Dapper development forum for anyone who is willing to take a risk for some amazing eye candy.

Poofy you may not be a God but you are a Guru and a Saint. \\:D/

Jucato
February 21st, 2006, 06:42 AM
Poofy's guides are heavensent! Not to mention his blog being full of mouth-watering eye candy news!

... I just wish someone like him would come along and do something similar for KDE eyecandy... :D

mstlyevil
February 21st, 2006, 06:55 AM
Poofy's guides are heavensent! Not to mention his blog being full of mouth-watering eye candy news!

... I just wish someone like him would come along and do something similar for KDE eyecandy... :D

Heck KDE already has kwin. If you edit your xorg.config file like posted in his knome guide and then installed the latest NVIDIA drivers (assuming you have a Nvidia card) you will have a lot of those effects natively in Kubuntu. I also understand that you can install xgl and compiz in KDE too by just changing a few things in his guide for Gnome. Just post a question to him in the guide and I am sure that he will tell you what you will have to change to get it to work. (Poofy's guide covers Dapper and not Breezy for xgl and compiz.)

Jucato
February 21st, 2006, 07:10 AM
well, there are some other stuff like how to change window managers in KDE. And how I would love for someone to have a SuperKaramba tutorial. But anyway, those stuff can be found in bits and pieces here and there. Maybe when I have some free time, I might try to compile them. I just wish that someone like Poofy could be as devoted to testing/doing/creating eye candy for KDE. Wish I had the time and computer resources to do it myself. But as it stands, I can't even have decent composite shadows w/o bogging my system w/ xorg memory leaks...

Still, Poofy rocks!!!!!!!!! He's no angel. He's a god!!!!
(Last I read in his blog, Poofy was using KWin over GNOME. now how neat is that! :D)

Master Shake
February 21st, 2006, 01:26 PM
I just installed gdesklets.. All I can say is Woah! Good stuff!

mstlyevil
February 21st, 2006, 04:24 PM
I just installed gdesklets.. All I can say is Woah! Good stuff!

They are no where near as polished as super karamba on KDE. But they are still pretty nice to have.

Stormy Eyes
February 21st, 2006, 04:56 PM
I've used his compositing guide and helped a little with his Enlightened GNOME guide.

frodon
February 21st, 2006, 05:05 PM
I tried most of poofy's guide and would like to say a big thank you for the time he spend writing guide ands testing new ways to get more eye candy.
But i also really apreciate the man and how fair and informative are his posts.

Don't change poofy, you're one of the great guy's of this forum ;)

poofyhairguy
February 22nd, 2006, 02:38 AM
Don't change poofy, you're one of the great guy's of this forum ;)

Thanks, but I think overall this forum is a really nice place. I consider myself one of the meanies.