PDA

View Full Version : Computer pranks!

snakeman21
November 20th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Post your computer pranks!

RULES:

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING THAT WOULD DAMAGE OR HAVE EXTENSIVE NEGATIVE EFFECTS ON THE COMPUTER!!! This is for fun, not for malicious hacking tricks.

Nothing illegal!

To the mods: I've looked at the forum rules, and it doesn't seem to me that this is prohibited--but it may be a gray area (or I may have missed it). If this is against forum policy, I apologize in advance, and will understand if you delete the thread.

I'll start:

When a Windows-using friend is out of the room, hide their Internet Explorer/Firefox/Safari (whichever they use) icon in a different folder. Create a batch file on the desktop and replace its icon with a replica of their internet browser icon. In the batch file, put the following (Assuming the victim is using Firefox):

START
START
START
START
Firefox.bat

Rename the file according to whatever browser the person uses, and don't forget to change the last line of the batch file accordingly--you want it to open itself.

Sit back and watch as the person tries to open their web browser. Tons of DOS command lines will open, eventually giving an error. CTRL+ALT+DEL will not work, and they will have to shut down and reboot the computer. Watch and laugh a few times and then fix it. Good only for friends who don't mind a joke at their expense.

Dragonbite
November 20th, 2009, 06:34 PM
We had PCAnywhere (desktop remote control software) on a couple of our computers so we could remote in if necessary.

On Halloween one year, while a co-worker was not at her desk and she didn't lock it, I started up her PCAnywhere and set it so there was practically no indicators (except something in the system tray) that it was on.

I left it there for a while.

Later, when she was on her computer, using my PCAnywhere, I started moving her mouse. Slightly at first and then more agressively.

The exclamations were priceless! Especially when she called me over (I was the computer guru of the department). Of course it wasn't moving ;). The hardest thing was keeping from laughing or showing any remark.

I did mention "Maybe it's possessed by a ghost or something?"

I think one time I balanced my mouse on a ruler at an angle, so it would sloooowly roll down the ruler. While it was moving, I walked over with some dumb question so she would see it moving and not suspect me.

I had her going for most of the day, and I think I even had the ghost open a text box, and start typing in it.

She was a good sport about it, though when I finally had to give in and tell her what was going on.

Y'know.. now I don't remember if she called our IT Help Desk or not.