PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else find Pidgin forgets their "friendly" MSN name? :(

hoppipolla
November 20th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Every time I start up Pidgin in Linux or I think on Windows too, it's forgotten my MSN "friendly name", so I need to set it back again...

This seems to happen every time I start it up I think regardless of how I closed Pidgin...

Do any of you guys have this?

Hoppi :(

ZankerH
November 20th, 2009, 05:41 PM
That's what you get for using a microsoft protocol on a Free OS. Switch to an XMPP-based or compatible IM protocol.

Psumi
November 20th, 2009, 05:42 PM
That's what you get for using a microsoft protocol on a Free OS. Switch to an XMPP-based or compatible IM protocol.

And if you cannot because you don't have any friends on it?

ZankerH
November 20th, 2009, 05:42 PM

Switch friends as well.

I wouldn't want to be friends with someone who uses a proprietary microsoft protocol and refuses to switch to one that allows him to communicate with me, anyway.

Excedio
November 20th, 2009, 05:44 PM

1. Wow. That was helpful.

2. Did you read this part?

*snip*I think on Windows too*snip*

Dougie187
November 20th, 2009, 05:45 PM
What do you mean friendly name?

Like the name that you want to show up in your conversations for yourself?

hoppipolla
November 20th, 2009, 05:45 PM

+1 million :D

hoppipolla
November 20th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Switch friends as well.

I wouldn't want to be friends with someone who uses a proprietary microsoft protocol and refuses to switch to one that allows him to communicate with me, anyway.

yes because THAT'S what I base my choice of friends on!! xD

hoppipolla
November 20th, 2009, 05:48 PM
What do you mean friendly name?

Like the name that you want to show up in your conversations for yourself?

yeah, the one that appears to others when I chat to them (and in their contact lists) :)

2. Did you read this part?

Haha yeah Zanker I use Win(blows) sometimes so :P

Psumi
November 20th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Switch friends as well.

My friends will not switch. They do not use linux for the reasons that they have decided to keep to them selves.

So long as they do not, they will continue to use that propietary software regardless.

RiceMonster
November 20th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I have not had this problem with Pidgin. Maybe I'm lucky.

Switch friends as well.

You judge people by what software they use?

I don't want to be friends with you.

ZankerH
November 20th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I have not had this problem with Pidgin. Maybe I'm lucky.

You judge people by what software they use?

I don't want to be friends with you.

I'm flattered. The fact that someone I'll never meet in RL uses a messaging protocol that doesn't follow standards and isn't compatible with XMPP will obviously hamper my communication efforts with that person, wouldn't you say?

Excedio
November 20th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I'm flattered. The fact that someone I'll never meet in RL uses a messaging protocol that doesn't follow standards and isn't compatible with XMPP will obviously hamper my communication efforts with that person, wouldn't you say?

Curious. Do you only use FOSS?

RiceMonster
November 20th, 2009, 06:24 PM

Point successfully missed.

Eisenwinter
November 20th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Alright, Mr. Stallman.

ZankerH
November 20th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Curious. Do you only use FOSS?

I can at the very least claim to be aware of the dangers of proprietary software and do my best to avoid it, and I'm aware and warn people of the proprietary software commonly sneaked in with GNU/Linux software distributions. I may not use Free Software exclusively, but I make a point of prefering Free alternatives when and if they're available. Which is more than I could say for the majority of the community of the Ubuntu software distribution of the GNU/Linux operating system, who for the most part appear to not care if their software is Free as long as it's free.

Excedio
November 20th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I can at the very least claim to be aware of the dangers of proprietary software and do my best to avoid it, and I'm aware and warn people of the proprietary software commonly sneaked in with GNU/Linux software distributions. I may not use Free Software exclusively, but I make a point of prefering Free alternatives when and if they're available. Which is more than I could say for the majority of the community of the Ubuntu software distribution of the GNU/Linux operating system, who for the most part appear to not care if their software is Free as long as it's free.

What danger does MSN messanger protocol invoke? Genuinely curious.

RiceMonster
November 20th, 2009, 09:42 PM
What danger does MSN messanger invoke? Genuinely curious.

Other than the usual FSF ramblings, nothing.

VegarS
November 20th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Don't feed the troll, guys.

I've been seeing this issue too. Anyone know of a cause or a solution?

Edit: I found a bug report: http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/10763

Arlanthir
November 20th, 2009, 10:22 PM
If you go to your msn profile on microsoft's sites you can change your default nickname (first name) that Pidgin downloads all the time.

It seems like a change on MSN's part.

NCLI
November 20th, 2009, 10:26 PM
What danger does MSN messanger protocol invoke? Genuinely curious.

Considering that it's been reverse-engineered countless times and nothing's come up yet... Well, nothing.

koleoptero
November 20th, 2009, 10:32 PM
I have this problem too. I'm glad to see it's not just me (no matter how selfish it sounds).

hoppipolla
November 21st, 2009, 01:45 AM
It's probably a recent protocol change. Maybe for now it's best we just do it on the site (or set it every time we log in...)

And yeah I'm not arguing with ZankerH anymore, I have no problem with closed source, non-free or non-Free software. "99% of that I run tends to be open source, but that's _my_ choice, dammit." xD!

brunolabs
November 22nd, 2009, 07:51 PM
Every time I start up Pidgin in Linux or I think on Windows too, it's forgotten my MSN "friendly name", so I need to set it back again...

This seems to happen every time I start it up I think regardless of how I closed Pidgin...

Do any of you guys have this?

Hoppi :(

I do.
The problem started a few days ago.

Do you guys think it will be solved through the Update Manager?

fer493
November 22nd, 2009, 10:18 PM
i have the same problem =(

Wanas
November 23rd, 2009, 05:18 AM
Same here I have tried amsn and emesene besides pidgin and the same problem.
yeah it looks like msn have changed the server behavior

brunolabs
November 27th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Same here I have tried amsn and emesene besides pidgin and the same problem.
yeah it looks like msn have changed the server behavior

True.

Updating profile on MSN webpage solves the issue.

rudihawk
November 27th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Switch friends as well.

:o

Thats retarded. I wouldn't choose my friends on something as inconsequential as what IM protocol they prefer to use.

Starlight
November 27th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I have exactly the same problem on KMess recently. O_o

xuCGC002
November 27th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Switch friends as well.

Aren't you that guy who said that a social life is a waste of time? It looks to me that you cam't seem to hold down any friends as you won't let them interact with you without having them conform to all your standards. I hate MSN as much as the next guy, but forcing others to use some other means of communication and ending the relationship simply because that means of communication either isn't readily available or they have no use for it is ridiculous.

On topic, the fix brunolabs posted works.

hoppipolla
November 28th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Aren't you that guy who said that a social life is a waste of time? It looks to me that you cam't seem to hold down any friends as you won't let them interact with you without having them conform to all your standards. I hate MSN as much as the next guy, but forcing others to use some other means of communication and ending the relationship simply because that means of communication either isn't readily available or they have no use for it is ridiculous.

I agree!

But additionally... what DOES that avatar mean? It's all over Half-Life 2 isn't it (I was just playing it a second ago)...

Jesus_Valdez
November 28th, 2009, 03:57 AM
It happens to me using emesene.

etnlIcarus
November 28th, 2009, 09:39 AM
True.

Updating profile on MSN webpage solves the issue.

I assume we're talking about logging into, "Windows Live ...whatever" (I honestly have little concept of what Live is at this point).

Perhaps not so coincidentally, I have no idea what I'm doing on Live, either. Could I get some more detailed instructions plz?

Edit: Okay, I've been able to set my name via the Live website but now whenever I log back into MSN, it's restoring my name to the one on the website, rather than the one I set via Pidgin. Fignuts.

hoppipolla
November 28th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I assume we're talking about logging into, "Windows Live ...whatever" (I honestly have little concept of what Live is at this point).

Perhaps not so coincidentally, I have no idea what I'm doing on Live, either. Could I get some more detailed instructions plz?

Edit: Okay, I've been able to set my name via the Live website but now whenever I log back into MSN, it's restoring my name to the one on the website, rather than the one I set via Pidgin. Fignuts.

Yeah that's what I figured :)

I think it's just a way to set it permanently so you don't need to keep resetting it everytime you start Pidgin! Don't worry though, I'm sure the IMs like Pidgin will update soon and will support the protocol change :)

And wow look at this! http://code.google.com/p/msn-pecan/

and this! http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/ThirdPartyPlugins

I never knew there were so many extra plugins! I'm trying these babies! ^_^

RabbitWho
November 28th, 2009, 03:32 PM

I have to write that down...

etnlIcarus
November 28th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I have to write that down...

Just don't put it in your sig, or you'll get 'anonymous' complaints.

jpmelos
November 28th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I think people who don't understand why Free is better than proprietary software are stupid. Free as in Freedom, I'm always glad to pay for a software if it's good and Free.

But I can't break relations with them. If I did that, I would probably end up with 2 or 3 friends only who are Free software users as well. I have a XMPP account, but I can't use it, because I can't add anyone. Noone I know uses it.

So, yea, this is how the world works. Too bad for them.

SicKn3sS
November 30th, 2009, 05:30 AM

workaround != fix

Fixed in 2.6.4, http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/10763

Mayfoev
November 30th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I have built a backport of the fix, for Karmic i386 :

wget http://dl.free.fr/vrIKZFjD5 -O pidgin-debs.tar.bz2 && tar -jxvf pidgin-debs.tar.bz2 pidgin-debs && cd pidgin-debs && sudo dpkg -i *.deb && cd .. && rm -rf pidgin-debs pidgin-debs.tar.bz2

hoppipolla
November 30th, 2009, 11:01 PM
woot! I just got the new Pidgin so it should be fixed here :)

The developers' PPA is cool :)

fer493
November 30th, 2009, 11:37 PM
is there a way to get this fixed on Jaunty Jackalope (i'm new)??

etnlIcarus
December 1st, 2009, 03:07 AM

Are we using the same PPA?

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pidgin-developers/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main I'm not finding any updates.

hoppipolla
December 1st, 2009, 04:25 AM
Are we using the same PPA?

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pidgin-developers/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main I'm not finding any updates.

oh, well to be honest I only assumed it was the developers' one that gave me that update, it actually just popped up in the my normal daily upgrade procedure and I didn't check the repo!

Erm... I think I have the exact same one but I am running Karmic, I don't know if that makes any difference o.O

Wanas
December 1st, 2009, 04:53 AM

From where you installed the new pidgin [2.6.4] ?
Its not yet on the ppa pidgin developers
here it is https://launchpad.net/~pidgin-developers/+archive/ppa

bonfire89
December 1st, 2009, 05:04 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this happens to me.

It is interesting the usage of IM clients. I get the feeling that Toronto, Canada uses MSN, America seems to use AIM, other than that I don't know.

But you can't just switch your friends IM client.

Wanas
December 1st, 2009, 05:20 AM
Updated through getdeb.net repos.

xuCGC002
December 3rd, 2009, 06:08 PM
But additionally... what DOES that avatar mean? It's all over Half-Life 2 isn't it (I was just playing it a second ago)...

It symbolizes the removal of children by the Combine, as well as the destruction to each civilian's reproductive system.

...and I'm sorry for bumping this two-day-old topic for something off topic, but oh well.

BrokenKingpin
December 3rd, 2009, 07:47 PM
I am getting the same thing. I am pretty sure the issue is because MS changed something on the backend for how friendly names are stored. What seems to be happening is that your firendly name gets set to the name in your live (or hotmail) account details. I just logged into my live account and changed my name to the friendly name I wanted, and that seemed to do the trick.

hoppipolla
December 3rd, 2009, 09:29 PM
I am getting the same thing. I am pretty sure the issue is because MS changed something on the backend for how friendly names are stored. What seems to be happening is that your firendly name gets set to the name in your live (or hotmail) account details. I just logged into my live account and changed my name to the friendly name I wanted, and that seemed to do the trick.

works fine on the latest version of Pidgin :)

It probably is available in the Pidgin developers' PPA, or getdeb's repo! :)

It symbolizes the removal of children by the Combine, as well as the destruction to each civilian's reproductive system.

...and I'm sorry for bumping this two-day-old topic for something off topic, but oh well.

haha no that's cool I did wonder about that! I never completed Half-Life 2 but it's still sitting on here so I will keep playing soon! :)

Tipped OuT
December 3rd, 2009, 10:55 PM
Switch friends as well.

You seriously have a problem. Seriously.

hoppipolla
December 4th, 2009, 01:18 AM

xD

I actually quite like Zanker in a way, but that post still made me smile! :)

etnlIcarus
December 4th, 2009, 01:41 AM
I'll say. Poor guy's living in a world gone mad.

xuCGC002
December 4th, 2009, 04:51 AM
I'll say. Poor guy's living in a world gone mad.
Then again all of us are. Can't blame him much.

hoppipolla
December 4th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Then again all of us are. Can't blame him much.

I would like to play Zanker at a PC game of his choice! Hmm it would have to be something open source or Linux friendly... lol

And man this is going off-topic! :)

Erm... Pidgin is cool! ^_^

Dunchillin
December 11th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Slightly off-topic but in the last 3 days my Pidgin has refused to connect me at all, saying that "our protocol is not supported by the server". Any ideas why this is happening? Has worked problem-free for the last year or two. It is an MSN messaging account.

etnlIcarus
December 11th, 2009, 01:52 AM
MSN has randomly gone through periods where it won't connect. Enabling, "http method", temporarily, usually allow me to connect.

hoppipolla
December 11th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Slightly off-topic but in the last 3 days my Pidgin has refused to connect me at all, saying that "our protocol is not supported by the server". Any ideas why this is happening? Has worked problem-free for the last year or two. It is an MSN messaging account.

have you added the pidgin devs repo?

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pidgin-developers

:)

Dunchillin
December 11th, 2009, 02:25 AM
have you added the pidgin devs repo?

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pidgin-developers

:)

Tried doing that - got this:

john@Johns:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pidgin-developers
[sudo] password for john:
sudo: add-apt-repository: command not found

I've uninstalled and reinstalled everything pidgin associated but still no luck :(

hoppipolla
December 11th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Tried doing that - got this:

I've uninstalled and reinstalled everything pidgin associated but still no luck :(

ah, can I assume then that you do not run Karmic? :)

Ok, so add this to your Synaptic repositories in settings ( Settings > Repositories > Other Software > Add ):

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pidgin-developers/ppa/ubuntu

to add the repository.

then run the command:

sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 67265eb522bdd6b1c69e66ed7fb8bee0a1f196a8

to add the key for authentication.

That should work... (do you see why it's easier in Karmic though? lol :) )

Then this to update, or just do it from Update Manager:

sudo apt-get update && sude apt-get upgrade

Hoppi :)

Dunchillin
December 11th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Ok, time to show myself as the total novice that I am! I have no idea what Karmic is, nor Synaptic repositories, or even where the hell I find settings!

I also tried the suggestion of changing to http method, but that's a no go too.

I love Ubuntu, except when I don't know how to do something I need to do, or worse when I don't know there is even something I need to do. A good friend introduced me to Ubuntu, installed it on my computer some 2 years ago and I haven't seen him since!

Thank you for your help :)

hoppipolla
December 11th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Ok, time to show myself as the total novice that I am! I have no idea what Karmic is, nor Synaptic repositories, or even where the hell I find settings!

I also tried the suggestion of changing to http method, but that's a no go too.

I love Ubuntu, except when I don't know how to do something I need to do, or worse when I don't know there is even something I need to do. A good friend introduced me to Ubuntu, installed it on my computer some 2 years ago and I haven't seen him since!

Thank you for your help :)

ah hehe, see that's the thing, it's very difficult to tell on here how experienced another user may be, particularly in the Cafe.

Ok erm, I believe if you are running standard Ubuntu (Gnome), Synaptic can be found under System... then the normal system configuration submenu (I use KDE so I can't fully remember) and then "Synaptic".

Alternatively you could just go "Alt+F2" and then type "gksu synaptic" and hit return :)

Ok, now as i said it's Settings > Repositories > Other Software > Add

and the deb line.

Then the other line I gave you

sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 67265eb522bdd6b1c69e66ed7fb8bee0a1f196a8

(enter it in Terminal which is under applications, or Alt+F2 and "gnome-terminal" :) ) and you're away :)

By the way Karmic Koala is the latest release of Ubuntu (9.10), released in late october :) Releases are bi-annual, with what are called LTS (Long Term Support) releases every 2 years, the next being in April and called "Lucid Lynx" (release 10.04) ^_^

Dunchillin
December 11th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Thank you! Right, I DO know what the synaptic is and found settings -> Repositories -> 3rd party software -> add new. However...

Can't get past this bit. when I type the line into 'add' it won't let me click 'add source' (the button remains opaque). Tried pressing enter - s'all I can think of!

etnlIcarus
December 11th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Need to add a space, followed by your release name to the apt-line (eg. hardy, jaunty, karmic)

hoppipolla
December 11th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Need to add a space, followed by your release name to the apt-line (eg. hardy, jaunty, karmic)

oops sorry about that! I didn't spot it :)

So you actually want:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pidgin-developers/ppa/ubuntu karmic main

I know it all seems complex, but this is why they are refining it for Ubuntu Lucid and why it's already quite refined in openSUSE and getting better :) It's been a much needed change for a WHILE! hehe :)

NickCis
December 12th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I'm using the pidgin version from get deb (I think it's the newest, 2.6.4). And i have this nickname problem =S...

Is there a fix for this?.
I know that the problem is caused by the msn servers, but, if kmess 2.0.2 works correctly (nickname and photo too), why doesn't pidgin?.

Bye.

hoppipolla
December 12th, 2009, 09:42 AM
I'm using the pidgin version from get deb (I think it's the newest, 2.6.4). And i have this nickname problem =S...

Is there a fix for this?.
I know that the problem is caused by the msn servers, but, if kmess 2.0.2 works correctly (nickname and photo too), why doesn't pidgin?.

Bye.

mine works now... as I said, try adding the pidgin devs ppa, I don't know if that will make a difference but... like I said mine doesn't forget it since a recent update :)

Exodist
December 12th, 2009, 10:51 AM
FOR THOSE WHO ARE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH PIDGIN.

The bug has been fixed. Get the newest from www.pidgin.im (http://ubuntuforums.org/www.pidgin.im) and forget what is in the repositories.

Ubuntu ships Pidgin but does not update it after a release (except for security issues and high-severity bugs). For those users who desire new releases of Pidgin, we have packaged Pidgin in a PPA. If you encounter problems with these packages, try building from source (http://www.pidgin.im/download/source) and report the bug (http://www.pidgin.im/support).
To setup the PPA, copy-and-paste these commands into a terminal (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal#Starting%20a%20Terminal):

sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com \ 67265eb522bdd6b1c69e66ed7fb8bee0a1f196a8
echo deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pidgin-developers/ppa/ubuntu \ `lsb_release --short --codename` main | \
sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pidgin-ppa.list
After doing this, open Update Manager, check for updates, and then install the newly available Pidgin packages.
Future Pidgin updates will show up in Update Manager along with the usual Ubuntu updates. The PPA will need to be re-setup only after upgrading Ubuntu.
This PPA is maintained by one developer, so please be patient. It often lags behind the source releases a couple of days.
Voice and video support is only built on Jaunty (9.04) and up.

Case solved...

hoppipolla
December 12th, 2009, 05:21 PM
FOR THOSE WHO ARE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH PIDGIN.

The bug has been fixed. Get the newest from www.pidgin.im (http://ubuntuforums.org/www.pidgin.im) and forget what is in the repositories.

Case solved...

that's what I said lol :)

The devs repo!

spongypants23
December 12th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Though the Pidgin people have yet to put 2.6.4 in their PPA.

etnlIcarus
December 13th, 2009, 03:19 AM
There's been no update for people still using Jaunty and changing the apt line to karmic results in unresolvable Gtk+ dependencies.

Exodist
December 13th, 2009, 03:21 AM
There's been no update for people still using Jaunty and changing the apt line to karmic results in unresolvable Gtk+ dependencies.
Compile from source, its one of the easiest programs to compile and install.

hoppipolla
December 13th, 2009, 04:25 AM
You can still add the Pidgin devs / getdeb repositories though right?

etnlIcarus
December 13th, 2009, 05:37 AM
You can still add the Pidgin devs / getdeb repositories though right?

Getdeb repos are for Karmic only and would probably result in the same dependency issues. And I was talking about the pidgin dev PPA.

showmoney
December 13th, 2009, 05:42 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8488742#post8488742) There's been no update for people still using Jaunty and changing the apt line to karmic results in unresolvable Gtk+ dependencies.

Compile from source

etnlIcarus
December 13th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Compile from source, its one of the easiest programs to compile and install.

Compile from source

Easiest my ****. Pidgin has a ****-tonne of dependencies. I've already installed or disabled about a dozen and it's still yet to successfully build.

hoppipolla
December 13th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Easiest my ****. Pidgin has a ****-tonne of dependencies. I've already installed or disabled about a dozen and it's still yet to successfully build.

why can't you upgrade to Karmic?

Also, I'll bet you can just grab the protocol from someone... it's probably just a file or directory... maybe I could give you a copy of my one or something.

etnlIcarus
December 13th, 2009, 06:31 AM
copypasta from screenshot thread:

I've been putting off doing a fresh install since Karmic came out, due to being too lazy to spend weeks getting **** back to normal. You really think I'm going to write it all out?

etnlIcarus
December 13th, 2009, 07:54 AM
An hour and a bit later...

Anyone interested in going the source route, hopefully I can spare you a bit of heartache:

Obviously, if you haven't already:

sudo aptitude install build-essential dh-make devscripts

It's advisable to disable the pidgin PPA at this point and purge your current pidgin install.

If you don't want a good 80mb of HDD space taken up be dev headers, skip this bit but expect the process to take a fair bit longer:

sudo aptitude build-dep pidgin

Now either open a terminal in the folder created when you extracted the source files or:

cd /where/ever/you/extracted/to/pidgin-2.6.4/

dh_make --createorig

Single binary will be fine. If you're just using this for yourself, don't worry about filling in any of the package details.

Now you need to go to the newly created /pidgin-2.6.4/debian/ folder, either via the terminal or using your file manager of choice and open up the, "rules", file. Find the line that sarts with "./configure" (should be around line 34) and at the end of that line, place a # before, "LDFLAGS="-Wl,-z,defs"", to comment this bit out. If you don't comment this bit out, pidgin will fail to build.

If you chose not to build-dep pidgin earlier, keep the rules file open, on the ./configure line. Any dependencies you don't need and/or don't want to install, you can disable here.

Now, back in your terminal, in the pidgin-2.6.4/ directory:

dpkg-buildpackage

If you chose to build-dep pidgin, go brew yourself a cup of coffee. If you use instant coffee, please /neck yourself. Once you've finished your coffee, jump to the last bit of this post.

If you didn't build-dep pidgin, now comes the tedious portion of building. dpkg-buildpackage will fail, informing you that specific dependencies are missing. If they are optional dependencies, it will inform you of the argument you need to pass in your rules file, on the ./configure line. For reference sake, this is what mine ended up looking like:

./configure $(CROSS) --disable-screensaver --disable-vv --disable-meanwhile --disable-avahi --disable-nm --disable-perl --disable-tcl --prefix=/usr --mandir=\$${prefix}/share/man --infodir=\$${prefix}/share/info CFLAGS="$(CFLAGS)" #LDFLAGS="-Wl,-z,defs"

You may actually want some of these features so think carefully, before choosing not to install the deps and disabling them.

Eventually, after you've gone through dpkg-buildpackage a few times, pidgin should successfully build.

Success. Regardless of which way you chose to go, from the terminal:

cd ..

sudo gdebi pidgin_2.6.4-1_i386.deb

Obviously the name of the deb file will be different, if you're running an x86_64 version of Ubuntu.

Exodist
December 13th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Your kidding right? The config script will tell you what you need. If there is a feature you cant find a source file for or dont need. Just flag it to not be configured for compiling.
I will admit it took me 20 mins a few weeks ago to compile it on debian lenny. But really 20mins -vs- 6 weeks of complaining is irrational. Everyone knows the version that is with Jaunty and Karmic will stay, only security fixes will be applied. So only choice you have is to compile or quit complaining.
I remember when EVERYTHING had to be compiled and installed manually. Mozilla was the only thing that didnt. Yall have it so easy these days.. :D

etnlIcarus
December 13th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Your kidding right? The config script will tell you what you need. If there is a feature you cant find a source file for or dont need. Just flag it to not be configured for compiling.
I will admit it took me 20 mins a few weeks ago to compile it on debian lenny. But really 20mins -vs- 6 weeks of complaining is irrational. Everyone knows the version that is with Jaunty and Karmic will stay, only security fixes will be applied. So only choice you have is to compile or quit complaining.
I remember when EVERYTHING had to be compiled and installed manually. Mozilla was the only thing that didnt. Yall have it so easy these days.. :D

In... what part of this post have you actually contradicted me? And nice false dilemma. Apparently I can't be indignant and productive at the same time. :/

Exodist
December 13th, 2009, 08:39 AM
In... what part of this post have you actually contradicted me? And nice false dilemma. Apparently I can't be indignant and productive at the same time. :/
I may have misunderstood you or missed you last post.. My bad.. Good to see your actually compiling it tho :D

Dj Melik
December 13th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Switch friends as well.

You really need to change your views. Extremism is wrong and bad. You sound like a crazy religious extremist fool.

"you aren't part of my religion, i can't talk to you"
"you don't use a FOSS chat protocol, i can't talk to you"

I really hope you find the error of your ways.

Techsnap
December 13th, 2009, 11:34 AM
It's definitely something to do with the protocol because it's happened on aMSN too, no big deal, it's not the intended client to be used with the service so I don't expect it to work perfectly.

LOL, you need to sort your priorities out, I think it's more important what the person is like, not the IM client they're using.

etnlIcarus
December 13th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Can people please stop digging up posts by the Aspergers kid. The issue is dead. Go troll the Ubuntu: CE board, if you feel like being judgemental.

interB33
June 17th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Well I came here for help on the same issue as the original poster, and found a ******* contest. Problem solved, awesome job guys.