PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else cautious about installing the Ubuntu-boot PPA?

hoppipolla
November 20th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Doesn't it patch your kernel or something like that? I just feel a bit cautious about stuff like that even though I do wanna speed up my boot time ^_^

What do you guys think of it? Should I use it? My boot time is too slow for me atm...

Hoppi :)

Praxicoide
November 20th, 2009, 05:38 PM
If you have problems you can hit ESC when grub is loading, return to the previous kernel, remove this PPA, and revert the changes.

Excedio
November 20th, 2009, 05:40 PM
If you do decide to you it, would you please post back your impressions of it? I would like to possible use it for my wife's lappy. It's a pretty old Dell.

hoppipolla
November 21st, 2009, 01:49 AM
No more replies? It would be great to hear some more verdicts and stuff on this! :)

wilee-nilee
November 21st, 2009, 01:56 AM
The package that the ppa provides is already running in the stock install. I have it in the apt/sources.list and have yet to see a update. Personally I like the ppa resources in general and have never had it or any of the extra repositories bork anything on my OS.

Skripka
November 21st, 2009, 01:59 AM
Doesn't it patch your kernel or something like that? I just feel a bit cautious about stuff like that even though I do wanna speed up my boot time ^_^

What do you guys think of it? Should I use it? My boot time is too slow for me atm...

Hoppi :)

I'd go get a cup of coffee brewing while booting. Fiddling with initscripts etc can lead to great unhappiness.