PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] karmic, gnome, no ssh-agent

schmadde
November 20th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I updated my 9.04 installation to karmic recently. Since then, ssh-agent no longer gets started upon login. I found an Xsession in /etc/gdm that should start ssh-agent, but it does not seem to be executed. The Xsession in /etc/X11 has not mention of ssh-agent.

Whats happening here? Is this a bug or do I need to reconfigure something so ssh-agent ist started upon login

ScarEye
November 20th, 2009, 11:50 PM
bump, need ssh-agent for pssh

pbrane
November 21st, 2009, 12:10 AM
I upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10 as well. I did a 'echo $SSH_AGENT_PID' in a terminal and got the PID of ssh-agent. So it must be running on my system. I'm not sure how to help you with yours, sorry.

ScarEye
November 21st, 2009, 05:48 AM
Okay from what I understand ssh-agent is used by Xsession, What you need to do is when your in terminal type:

ssh-agent bash

now that bash session is running the agent and you should be able to do everything normally now.

Hope this helps some.

Thanks,
ScarEye

schmadde
November 21st, 2009, 09:55 AM
I know how to start ssh-agent manually. But it is a nuisance to copy over the Environment variables in every shell window in order to make use of it Gnome Applications don't get to know anything about it either so e.g. sftp with Nautilus is out. Besides, it should not be started manually (it worked fine in 9.04).

It does seem to work on some systems (thanks pbrane) so it seems to be a bug indeed.

HDave
January 20th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Any way to fix this? It worked fine in 9.04. Sheesh I am tired of these regressions...