PDA

View Full Version : Chrome OS open-sourced

t0p
November 20th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Google announced that they've now open-sourced (and released the code for) Chrome OS. Announcement on googleblog (http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/11/releasing-chromium-os-open-source.html). Guardian article here (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2009/nov/19/google-chromeos-netbooks-web-cloud). Info on how to get the source, and build the package, here (http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/building-chromium-os/getting-the-chromium-os-source-code).

Chrome OS is going to be an almost completely web-reliant OS. It's basically the Chrome browser connecting to Google's web-based apps.

From the blog (http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/11/releasing-chromium-os-open-source.html):

First, it's all about the web. All apps are web apps. The entire experience takes place within the browser and there are no conventional desktop applications. This means users do not have to deal with installing, managing and updating programs.I like the positive spin they put on that. But it also means that if there's no internet link, Chrome OS won't work.

Google are looking to make deals with computer manufacturers to build dedicated netbooks. Apparently you'll need to be "handy with a screwdriver" (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2009/nov/19/google-chromeos-netbooks-web-cloud) to get the OS to run on current machines.

Interesting security model too:

Unlike traditional operating systems, Chrome OS doesn't trust the applications you run. Each app is contained within a security sandbox making it harder for malware and viruses to infect your computer. Furthermore, Chrome OS barely trusts itself. Every time you restart your computer the operating system verifies the integrity of its code. If your system has been compromised, it is designed to fix itself with a reboot. While no computer can be made completely secure, we're going to make life much harder (and less profitable) for the bad guys.

It has a Linux kernel.

What do you all think?

canoemoose
November 20th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I'm not too sure whether I like it or not, but the BBC article on its release has really pissed me off - clicky clicky. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8369611.stm)
Does anyone else find this article to be extremely dumbed-down, especially seeing as it's written by a "technology reporter"?

zagz
November 20th, 2009, 02:02 PM
It looks to be a highly advanced Chrome browser from the demos, not like the one you can just download and install.

t0p
November 20th, 2009, 02:06 PM
From the BBC article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8369611.stm):

Although the firm envisages most tasks will be done online, it will also offer the capability to use some programs when there is no connection.
It already offers a similar feature for programs such as Gmail and Google Docs using its Gears program.

I didn't notice that when reading the Googleblog post. So Chrome OS will to some extent if there's no internet connection available.

I'm not too sure whether I like it or not, but the BBC article on its release has really pissed me off - clicky clicky. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8369611.stm)

Does anyone else find this article to be extremely dumbed-down, especially seeing as it's written by a "technology reporter"?

Sure it's been simplified ("dumbed-down"), but I think it's okay. You need to bear in mind that the article is aimed at a non-geeky audience. The reporter did a pretty good job.

t0p
November 20th, 2009, 02:08 PM
duplicate post deleted

zagz
November 20th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Welcome to the BBC

forrestcupp
November 20th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Chrome OS is a joke. They're taking all the good things about Linux out of it and leaving us with a kernel and a web browser. One of the great things about Linux is the ability to customize, and that's one thing you can't do in Chrome OS. What you see is what you get.

They're relying on the open source community, but guess who will be getting all of the credit and revenue. It will be infested with advertising. This is the ultimate way of filling a Linux system with adware and maybe even spyware.

Yeah, I'll be the first in line for this one. :-\"

Regenweald
November 20th, 2009, 02:22 PM
I just don't get the forum rush to compile an "OS" to browse the web I love new tech, but Chrome "OS" is nothing new. What are the reviews going to be like ? " wow. I really browsed the web and used google's online tools"
As for logging in with ones gmail account, if someone does not use gmail, they cannot use Chrome "OS"? What about those who prefer MSN or Yahoo oriented web experiences ? Sounds like some dressed up anticompetitive and antitrust behavior.

zagz
November 20th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Chrome OS is a joke. They're taking all the good things about Linux out of it and leaving us with a kernel and a web browser. One of the great things about Linux is the ability to customize, and that's one thing you can't do in Chrome OS. What you see is what you get.

They're relying on the open source community, but guess who will be getting all of the credit and revenue. It will be infested with advertising. This is the ultimate way of filling a Linux system with adware and maybe even spyware.

Give it a chance, I would be the first to kick it into orbit if what you are predicting about spy and ads comes about but I aint seeing it mate atm

Regenweald
November 20th, 2009, 02:26 PM

Apple patented OS advertising and google produced it's ultimate incarnation. Tell the idiots it's an "OS" and make it mandatory for them to sign in to our servers.

forrestcupp
November 20th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Apple patented OS advertising and google produced it's ultimate incarnation. Tell the idiots it's an "OS" and make it mandatory for them to sign in to our servers.

Lol. For being Free Software it sure seems to be pretty proprietary in some ways.

lovinglinux
November 20th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Old news

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1331975
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1331561
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1331704

I vote for a Google OS megathread.

forrestcupp
November 20th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Old news

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1331975
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1331561
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1331704

I vote for a Google OS megathread.

Yeah, but if you don't want to be shut down for necroposting, you have to start a new thread. Didn't you know it's better to have a hundred threads about the same thing than to post in one that is more than a few days old? ;)

Excedio
November 20th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Sorry, but i'm not digging the idea of Google being so....what's the word?....Ingrained...in to my computing experience. I do not do very much cloud computing. Everything that I have online somewhere is backed up on to my External HDD.

I also agree with the OP, what about people that prefer not to use GMail, but want Chrome OS?

I say someone with the know-how (definately not me) redesign Chrome OS into Firefox OS. Better yet, stick with a "REAL" Operating System.

Tibuda
November 20th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Yeah, but if you don't want to be shut down for necroposting, you have to start a new thread. Didn't you know it's better to have a hundred threads about the same thing than to post in one that is more than a few days old? ;)

Those threads are all from yesteday. Posting in those threads would not be necroposting.

canoemoose
November 20th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I think you missed the sarcasm of his post.
Either that or I've just missed yours... :-\"

Excedio
November 20th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I think you missed the sarcasm of his post.
Either that or I've just missed yours... :-\"

Can you quote it please? I hate to miss good sarcasm.

emigrant
November 20th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I dont like this because its coming from google

Excedio
November 20th, 2009, 04:23 PM

You dis-like Google?

emigrant
November 20th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Yes. But not as much as i hate MS. And really i dont know why i hate google.

Excedio
November 20th, 2009, 04:59 PM

Maybe because it's spelled Google instead of Gugle. :-D

Regenweald
November 20th, 2009, 05:11 PM
The idea is a good one though, with cookies and all their apps calling home for no real good reason, google can "improve their customer services through research" now, from the second you are online, you are inside google servers. Chrome OS will make for the ultimate in profiled advertising.

Folks a saying "oh, but the OS is opensource" and I say, "who give a rats ***" Chrome OS is the thin client. Are google's servers opensource ?
A little way down the road, a nip here, a tuck here, an insert here, an omission there.....Your entire web experience could potentially be molded in Google's image. Speculation on my part of course but no longer impossible.

I was really looking forward to this project. Colour me jaded.

RiceMonster
November 20th, 2009, 05:13 PM

I find it amusing that people will judge something solely on the company behind it.

KhanTG
November 20th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I'm not sure I like the idea of having to depend on an external source for the storage of my documents and other items. Just how much space is google going to give for its cloud consumers (without charging them rent)? what about mp3 rips (or other form of media)? Will I be able to store my legitimately backed-up music and movies and books on their server? Not to mention the downloaded stuff that I PAID for... will that be guaranteed against loss on their servers?
What if I want to go to a "risqué" site of ill-repute, will I be targeted for smut ads for the remainder of eternity?

I would think that google (or somebody) would have to give many assurances and guarantees for security (MY security) before I'd trust them with MY stuff.

... but that's just my opinion ;)

ukripper
November 20th, 2009, 06:16 PM
By the time Gogle OS comes out we will be directly taking it on with our 10.10. Let see who beats the boot time on SSDs

omar8
November 20th, 2009, 06:18 PM
I find it amusing that people will judge something solely on the company behind it.

That is because Google is a business. Google only has one aim, to make money for its shareholders, it does not have the aim of making users happy. There are things which do help the user or appear to be for the user done by hundreds of companies, but in the end, it is usually a way for them to make money. For example, during the press conference about Google Chrome OS, they mentioned how they were "bad at business" for what seemed to be a gift of an operating system to users, but the question is, why would Google spend millions making an OS to get no return? Firstly, it makes them appear like a better company looking out for the users, a much more effective way of doing so than simply making a few adverts. Another reason could be that Google is trying to lock users into their web services.
Once a user has most of their files on Google Docs, it is far more difficult to switch to Office Live than simply going from Office 2007 to Openoffice. Heck, even switching operating systems isn't too difficult when compared to data on the cloud. Once the data is out there it is far more difficult to control and move.

Unless it is a non profit organisation (which google is definitely not) then it is usually for business, the problem is worsened when the company providing it is not being upfront about their intentions. No matter what you think of Google, Apple, Microsoft, Oracle, Sun etc. their aim is to make money.

jackhynes
November 20th, 2009, 07:40 PM
It will be infested with advertising. This is the ultimate way of filling a Linux system with adware and maybe even spyware.

They said there was not going to be any additional advertising. Only what we already get on the sites they own, which seems like a fair compromise for free services.

civilian
November 20th, 2009, 09:09 PM
They said there was not going to be any additional advertising. Only what we already get on the sites they own, which seems like a fair compromise for free services.

Well its only going to be available on specific google approved devices. But I guess the source will still be for everyone, just with less support.

CJ Master
November 20th, 2009, 09:40 PM

Lol.

A cookie for you. You have made my day.

NCLI
November 20th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Well its only going to be available on specific google approved devices. But I guess the source will still be for everyone, just with less support.

You're free to compile the OPEN-SOURCE OS yourself.

rootless
November 20th, 2009, 10:47 PM
It doesn't look like there will be much room for customization if everything is remote. That's sort of sad...

Unless I can get host it on my server and connect with my netbook ^___^

jrusso2
November 20th, 2009, 11:11 PM
I think its perfect for the average non-technical users. No installs, no malware, just 7 second start up and go where you want.

julianb
November 20th, 2009, 11:12 PM
I say someone with the know-how (definately not me) redesign Chrome OS into Firefox OS. Better yet, stick with a "REAL" Operating System.

Look for a remaster of tiny-core-linux with firefox.

It's kind of like what Chrome OS would be without Google involved.

Frak
November 21st, 2009, 12:29 AM
Peer pressure does work, I can see the results just fine.

phrostbyte
November 21st, 2009, 12:49 AM
How many people are downloading/building this?

I've been stuck in git clone for the past 3 hours. How much source is this thing? :-& Will I need a supercomputer to build it?

Regenweald
November 21st, 2009, 12:50 AM
At the very least, the web will benefit from their new compression technology.

phrostbyte
November 21st, 2009, 12:52 AM
At the very least, the web will benefit from their new compression technology.

I wish they'd use it on their source control system.