PDA

View Full Version : Tried 'aurorae' theme engine (to be included in KDE4.4). It's cool !!

praveesh
November 20th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I just tried the svg based theme engine to be included in the KDE 4.4 , 'Aurorae' . It's cool !! . The main advantage is that , with this , installing themes in Kde will become as easy as installing themes in Gnome . More over since the window elements are in svg , the same beauty of plasma can be incorporated in to the window decorations too .
What do you all think about this stuff?
Actually , I tried to install in when it was released , but couldn't because of some errors in cmaking . Now I found out the problem(it's a bug in gz extracting application) and installed the theme .

praveesh
November 20th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Those who wish to install may visit http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/Aurorae+Theme+Engine?content=107158

Excedio
November 20th, 2009, 03:32 PM
It's really nice. If I were a KDE user, I'd definately try it.

Psumi
November 20th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Why are there two KMenus in the screenshots?

Excedio
November 20th, 2009, 04:35 PM

Maybe Aurorae is sponsored by Doublemint gum.
http://sheerbrandage.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/doublemint.jpg

praveesh
November 20th, 2009, 04:47 PM

That's my desktop . One is traditional kmenu and the other is new kmenu . I most of the time will use traditional kmenu because it is faster in navigating . But if there is a guest or a friend near the computer, I will use the new kmenu because it is visually appealing . More over I don't like some one saying "your linux looks like a windows 98" , since the old kmenu is a bit similar to the win98's menu .

~sHyLoCk~
November 20th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I don't use compiz anymore in KDE.

Kwin has inbuilt desktop compositing with a lot of effects + Aurorae Window Themes = Insane KDE desktop.;)

nerdy_kid
November 20th, 2009, 07:16 PM
i personaly find that aurorae's decorations are way to fat for my liking. (i use a laptop -- 1280x800)
but if they either had more skinny themes, or made it customizable then i would go with it. Of course Kwin needs blurring, but im sure thats coming...

NoaHall
November 20th, 2009, 07:27 PM
That's my desktop . One is traditional kmenu and the other is new kmenu . I most of the time will use traditional kmenu because it is faster in navigating . But if there is a guest or a friend near the computer, I will use the new kmenu because it is visually appealing . More over I don't like some one saying "your linux looks like a windows 98" , since the old kmenu is a bit similar to the win98's menu .

Haha, that's funny. kmenu is never fast for navigating.

praveesh
November 20th, 2009, 07:29 PM
i personaly find that aurorae's decorations are way to fat for my liking. (i use a laptop -- 1280x800)
but if they either had more skinny themes, or made it customizable then i would go with it. Of course Kwin needs blurring, but im sure thats coming...

Actually what I showed are just examples . There are plenty of aurorae themes . Some are skinny , some are fat and so on . More over , creating a new one from and existing theme is very easy . No need of compiling , just replace some svg images with some others .

praveesh
November 20th, 2009, 07:34 PM

The new kmenu . But there's always a traditional kmenu .

RiceMonster
November 20th, 2009, 07:35 PM

If you say so.

NoaHall
November 20th, 2009, 07:36 PM
If you say so.

Really? You honestly think clicking a million times to open one thing is a quick way of working?

RiceMonster
November 20th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Really? You honestly think clicking a million times to open one thing is a quick way of working?

I click maximum one more time to open anything than I do in GNOME. Also, there the favorites section on the menu as well.

praveesh
November 20th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I still couldn't find a professional quality theme(the current default window decoration is also not professional IMO) . Iam expecting some good stuff from Pinheiro (http://pinheiro-kde.blogspot.com)

NoaHall
November 20th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I click maximum one more time to open anything than I do in GNOME. Also, there the favorites section on the menu as well.

The favourite section is good, but it takes too long to find the app.

kevCast
November 20th, 2009, 08:07 PM
The favourite section is good, but it takes too long to find the app.
Alt + F2

NoaHall
November 20th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Alt + F2

You shouldn't need to do that, and it's only helpful if you know the name of the app. Of course, in KDE, everything starts with a k anyway.

kevCast
November 20th, 2009, 08:34 PM
You shouldn't need to do that, and it's only helpful if you know the name of the app. Of course, in KDE, everything starts with a k anyway.
You haven't used it, have you? Typing in "bit" gives me the app Ktorrent with the description "Bittorrent Client."

NoaHall
November 20th, 2009, 08:35 PM
You haven't used it, have you? Typing in "bit" gives me the app Ktorrent with the description "Bittorrent Client."

I have used it. It doesn't work for every application.
Besides, you're missing the point.

SunnyRabbiera
November 20th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I will wait some more till more themes are out for it.

Exodist
November 20th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Actually what I showed are just examples . There are plenty of aurorae themes . Some are skinny , some are fat and so on . More over , creating a new one from and existing theme is very easy . No need of compiling , just replace some svg images with some others .
This is great news since with Gnome 3.0 I may be moving to KDE.

nerdy_kid
November 21st, 2009, 12:06 AM
oh yeah, i must have got an update -- suddenly have tons of 'skinny' themes..awesome!

it just need a config like emerald, and kwin needs blur and im permently converted!