PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Compiz running sluggish on Dell Dimension 1100 with integrated 82865G graphics card.

murderslastcrow
November 20th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Just like said in the title. My parents started with Linux on Intrepid Ibex (8.10), and compiz reacted just fine then. No slow downs whatsoever.

Now, since Karmic has UXA only as far as I know, it's kinda' slow. I set compiz to the monitor's 75 Hz and changed some options in Compiz Config Settings Manager to speed it up, and it's running okay. But still seems slower, when it used to be zippy.

There is also no xorg.conf in my etc/X11/ folder (presumably also due to improvements in the intel drivers in Karmic). Soooo... just wondering if there are any settings I could tweak to improve performance? Windows go grey a little too often and I'd like to get this running slick without buying a PCI graphics card, since it did once.

If not, we'll probably just go with enlightenment 17 instead of Gnome with Compiz, but I don't want my family to have to leave compiz behind. It's nice to have. The computer has 1 GB of RAM, but we also have another computer in the house with 300 MB of RAM that runs compiz extremely well in comparison, and I don't want them to have to deal with freezing windows on a perfectly suitable system.

Thanks in advance for your input. Hopefully I can get this machine flying again.

murderslastcrow
November 20th, 2009, 10:32 PM
'lil bump? Anyone have any suggestions to speed up integrated graphics? Should I just switch to only CPU acceleration instead of depending on the graphics card? Hrm..