PDA

View Full Version : Google confuses me a bit, Sketchup

Regenweald
November 20th, 2009, 04:12 AM
The attitude is cool and new age
"hey guys! there's a lot of work ahead of us so we can all make a better operating system! lets hold hands and compile chromium OS and write code!"
but no sketchup. I'd gladly hold your hand and download and compile a linux sketchup candidate, and test the **** out of it. And get a warm feeling in the chestal cavity.
Ubuntu is apparently good enough for a base so that users can easily upload upload files to google servers, but it's not a good enough base for sketchup ?
:rolleyes:

loell
November 20th, 2009, 04:16 AM
skechup works in wine.

Regenweald
November 20th, 2009, 04:22 AM
skechup works in wine.

The same argument could have been made for chromium

amauk
November 20th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Sketchup was originally produced by a different company. Google only got it through acquisition

If I had to guess, I'd say that there's some license issue with providing linux binaries

-grubby
November 20th, 2009, 04:42 AM
I don't think it would be worth their efforts to port sketchup when the Linux Market base makes up 1% of computer users...

Maybe they'll port it for Chrome OS. Maybe.

loell
November 20th, 2009, 05:57 AM
The same argument could have been made for chromium

not really, chromium is a webkit variance, its portable.

i'd say more along the lines with google earth for linux, in that in uses wine.

schauerlich
November 20th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Maybe they'll port it for Chrome OS. Maybe.

The whole idea of Chrome OS is that there's no applications besides the browser itself.

Aflack
November 20th, 2009, 06:23 AM
are you guys forgetting chrome runs online programs only?

phrostbyte
November 20th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Google is a HUGE company worth $181 billion dollars and with tens of thousands of employees. In such companies the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. :-s