PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] fsck completes extremely quick on ext3

osx
November 20th, 2009, 04:06 AM
I have a 32 GB partition, running Ubuntu 9.04, formatted with ext3. I decided to boot the system with an Ubuntu 9.10 cd in order to run fsck on the 32 GB partition. The command I ran was:

fsck -t ext3 /dev/sda3

Everything seemed fine, but it completed in about 1 second. Is this normal? Can fsck really check an ext3 partition that fast? Am I just used to a Windows filesystem check taking longer?

Thanks.

spikyjt
November 20th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Yes if there are no errors. Ext3 is a journaling file system, so it only needs to read the journal to check for errors, which takes very little time, even on a big disk.

The -t ext3 isn't necessary when just checking one disk, by the way.

ian dobson
November 20th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Hi,

you can use the -f option to "force" a full check.

Regards
Ian Dobson

osx
November 20th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Hi,

you can use the -f option to "force" a full check.

Regards
Ian Dobson

Ian,

I don't see the "-f" option in the fsck man page. Nor do I see anything else in the man page regarding the ability to force a full check.

Are you sure that is an option? If so, what then is running fsck without "-f" doing to check the system? I haven't manually run the command before, but when I see it happen on boot it does take longer and appear to be doing more.

Thanks.

osx
November 20th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Yes if there are no errors. Ext3 is a journaling file system, so it only needs to read the journal to check for errors, which takes very little time, even on a big disk.

The -t ext3 isn't necessary when just checking one disk, by the way.

spikyjt,

I should add that I am trying to learn fsck for a specific reason. I recently had a system running Ubuntu 8.04, 64-bit, server come up with errors on the screen which indicate a problem with the filesystem. I've not seen anything like it before, but it did indicated a problem with the filesystem. The computer is configured with two drives running in RAID 1.

When I tried to shutdown/reboot the system using standard commands, the system only repsonded with I/O error messages and would not respond to the commands normally. I pulled the power from the computer, turned it back on, and watched the screen for fsck to run. However, all fsck reported was the same as what I mentioned in my original post. In my original post, I manually ran the fsck command on the 32 GB partition to test how it worked. When it produced the same results as what I saw on the server, it concerned me that fsck may not be catching errors that it should.

I took the two drives out and ran the manufacturer's diagnostic software on them. Both passed so it could be a problem with the RAID controller; however, given the numerous error messages I saw that indicated a problem with the filesystem, it just seems like fsck should be doing a more thorough check.

Here's an example of the errors:

[13112496.301748] EXT3-fs error (device dm-0): ext3_find_entry: reading directory #475182 offset 0

Am I wrong in assuming there are filesystem errors?

Thanks.

ian dobson
November 21st, 2009, 06:45 AM
Hi,

Reboot the box and in the grub menu select the recovery console.

Then go to the terminal prompt and do a

e2fsck -f <device name>

Here's the helptext from e2fsck

root@alpha2:~# e2fsck --help
e2fsck: invalid option -- '-'
Usage: e2fsck [-panyrcdfvtDFV] [-b superblock] [-B blocksize]
[-I inode_buffer_blocks] [-P process_inode_size]
[-l|-L bad_blocks_file] [-C fd] [-j external_journal]
[-E extended-options] device

Emergency help:
-p Automatic repair (no questions)
-n Make no changes to the filesystem
-y Assume "yes" to all questions
-c Check for bad blocks and add them to the badblock list
-f Force checking even if filesystem is marked clean
-v Be verbose
-b superblock Use alternative superblock
-B blocksize Force blocksize when looking for superblock
-j external_journal Set location of the external journal
-l bad_blocks_file Add to badblocks list
-L bad_blocks_file Set badblocks list

The error you're seeing looks like abit of file system corruption, not a major problem but it's better to fix it before it get worse.

Regards
Ian Dobson

osx
November 21st, 2009, 06:18 PM
Thanks, Ian. That explains why "-f" isn't in the fsck man page.

Can you give me an idea as to why fsck didn't do this automatically on reboot and only checked the journal instead?

ian dobson
November 21st, 2009, 06:41 PM
Hi,

An fsck will run on boot if the file system as been mounted X times or X days since the last check or if the the filesystem wasn't shutdown cleanly. In your case you may have hit a bug in the ext3 code, a disk error, a memory error or some application error that caused a bad directory entry to be written to the disk.

I don't think you've go a major problem, just boot in single user mode and run a fsck on your drives.

Regards
Ian Dobson