PDA

View Full Version : Does this video switch exist?

hambone79
November 20th, 2009, 03:45 AM
I have 3 monitors on my desktop right now...2 are for my Linux box (left and center) and 1 is for my Windows box (on the right). The majority of the time I am using Linux, but occasionally I'm doing CAD work or playing a game in Windows and I'd like move it to the center. What I'm looking for is something similar to a video "A B" switch, but I would like it to swap A & B rather than selecting A or B. I'm sure there is something like that out there, I just don't know the correct name for it.

The Funkbomb
November 20th, 2009, 03:51 AM
I think you're looking for a KVM switch.

hambone79
November 20th, 2009, 09:06 PM
No, this is definitely not a KVM switch. I already have a Belkin Omni Cube KVM switch and it won't do this.

Let me explain it a different way. I have monitors 1, 2, and 3 sitting on my desktop (numbered left to right). My Linux desktop is using 1 & 2 while my Windows desktop is using 3. What I want is a switch that can swap the locations of monitors 2 & 3 so that Windows is on monitor 2 and Linux is on 1 & 3.

The only way that I really know how to describe it would be a video crossover switch but I can't find anything like that online.

Exodist
November 20th, 2009, 09:35 PM
No, this is definitely not a KVM switch. I already have a Belkin Omni Cube KVM switch and it won't do this.

Let me explain it a different way. I have monitors 1, 2, and 3 sitting on my desktop (numbered left to right). My Linux desktop is using 1 & 2 while my Windows desktop is using 3. What I want is a switch that can swap the locations of monitors 2 & 3 so that Windows is on monitor 2 and Linux is on 1 & 3.

The only way that I really know how to describe it would be a video crossover switch but I can't find anything like that online.

I havent seen one, just the traditional KVM type like you have. But I am sure someone must make one, then again IDK.

markbuntu
November 20th, 2009, 11:02 PM
If you have monitors with both dvi and analog connectors you can just connect to them through those and switch the monitor input in the monitor controls. I have two machines that share a monitor and switch them this way, it is very fast and easy.

You would still probably need a kvm switch or two to do what you want but you could use kvm switches.

hambone79
November 21st, 2009, 05:03 PM
Unfortunately they only have a DVI input.