PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installation nightmare

cook1965
November 20th, 2009, 01:34 AM
I downloaded the iso. of ubuntu 9.10 burnt it on to a cd-r and installed it through windows. I have done it this way before and it works. anyway ubuntu installed, I reset my machine and after clicking on ubuntu as my o/s i got this message: starting remaining crypto disks.. My computer stayed like that for an hour!! So i unistalled ubuntu and decided to boot directly from the cd. wrong!! My machine booted to ubuntu and i had the choice so i clicked on install ubuntu on my machine. after the ubuntu logo disapereed all i got was a black screen for 20 min. I had to restart my machine once more. So what is wrong? I have installed ubuntu succeffully on other computers without any problems, but this is killing me. Im running a home built machine 2 hard drives, intel p4 3.0ghz 2gb ram first hard drive is 80gb (system) 2 hard drive is 80gb (storage. I have69gb left on 1 hard drive and 50gb left on 2nd hard drive. What am i doing wrong? Oh i more thing. this does the same thing when i try and install ubuntu 9.04 using a "real disk" that was sent to me. same thing happens.

phillw
November 20th, 2009, 02:01 AM
The ususal suspects are ... md5check the 9.10 cd, clean the optical drive, delete & recreate the partition for ubuntu & format it.

See if that gets you on your way - 'funnies' are the most annoying things in the world :-\

Regards,

Phill.

cook1965
November 24th, 2009, 01:01 AM
[QUOTE=phillw;8351430]The ususal suspects are ... md5check the 9.10 cd, clean the optical drive, delete & recreate the partition for ubuntu & format it.

See if that gets you on your way - 'funnies' are the most annoying things in the world :-\

Ok now here is what else is going on. So I deleted Ubuntu through add/remove and restarted my system. I decided to boot into the live cd on restart. well i had the option of installing on to my machine, i clicked it and after a few minutes my monitor turned off and nothing happened!!. I manuel restarted my computer and tryed it again, same thing happened. So i decided to once again installe ubuntu through windows, after it ejected the cd I clicked on restart my system, it did and well the same thing happened ubuntu would not start. This is after i checked my disk and everything. Do i need to reformat my hhd again? BTW i'm using a live CD i bought from the ubuntu website.

phillw
November 24th, 2009, 01:21 AM
You have not been forgotten :-)

Boot from the LiveCD, run it for a couple of hours. (Yeah, I know it's dead slow from the CD)

Go browsing ... write a couple of letters ... "play" with the system & see if it behaves

Let's see if it is a kit issue. -- As I said 'funnies' are not funny in the slightest way, they take some tracking down.

Regards,

Phill.

cook1965
November 24th, 2009, 01:32 AM
thank you, but when i boot from the live cd i get the option to check cd, to install on my machine, etc.. like I said when I do go to install on my machine, I'm ready to manuel partition my hdd and all that good stuff, the cd runs and my computer monitor shuts off!! the computer is still on, but it seems like it went into stand by mode. the mouse doesn't work nor does the keyboard. So i have to manualey reset it. I have never had a problem installing ubuntu until i started downloading 9.10 and since then nothing but heart ach. lol

phillw
November 24th, 2009, 02:18 AM
put 9.04 back on (or what ever your previous version was)

Honest, just put it back on. You'll have a stable working system again. Once you have got that, we can look at "issues". Priority #1 is a working computer, from there we can look into why 9.10 is "un-happy"

If you can run the LiveCD mode for a few hours it means your computer does not have a problem with it.

If the install is failing, it may be many things ... Too many to mention - But, running it in LiveCD mode will reduce other options.
I'm thinking that your PSU is on it's way out as your HDD is pulling juice off it, or maybe there is a loose lead, or a dry solder joint, or the hard drive is on its way out, or your memory chips are clogged up with dirt, or your extract fan for either the main system or PSU is clogged up, your CPU fan is failing .... There are too many variables.

But, if 9.10 runs happily from the CD for hours and fails on install with a system shutdown - It's kit related and not operating system related.

Regards,

Phill.

JustinR
November 24th, 2009, 03:06 AM
I usually get this message when there's a bad CD in my drive - even if your booting off something else, eg. a hard-drive. Ubuntu doesn't like bad CD's.

cook1965
November 24th, 2009, 07:03 PM
K thank you for the clarification about the livecd. I'm running it as I write this and so far so good. I'm running 9.04 and have been putting it through it's pace's, I have my printer hooked up (canon pixma mp500) and nothing out of the ordinary is going on. I must say I have been playing and using Linux/Ubuntu for 3 years now and I love it. It is alot faster then windows. So what next? Do i reboot and try to install? or do I go to system > administration > and click on install? Thank you for all your help

cook1965
December 4th, 2009, 10:21 PM
OK sorry it took so long between posts. I tried installing with the same problem, nothing. I tried installing inside windows and it installed but when I rebooted i would get a black screen. After i removed ubuntu i tried installing through livecd, same thing happened. What now I'm scratching my head and wondering what now?