PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Skype numbers...

dickohead
February 19th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Hey Guys,

Thinking of installing Skype, not just in Ubuntu though *ducks*.

I have a few questions about skype/VoIP in general.

1. I have a router, how can I get my router to send calls to multiple skype users on my network? ie: 192.168.1.101 and 102 have skyp installed, and they want to call people at the same time, or even call each other. How does this work?

2. Can I just use a microphone and speakers? Or do I need a phone/headset thingo? I'm only interested in using skype to make skype-skype calls for the time being.

3. Can I REALLY call anyone with skype for free? ANYONE? That's so freakin cool!... three was more of a statement I know.

majikstreet
February 20th, 2006, 03:26 AM
1) I have had to do nothing to get this to work.

2) you can use a mic and speakers, but you'll get some nasty echos. Better idea is to get a cheap headset with a mic like for gaming.. I got one for 20usd

3) Yes. As long as they have skype, you can call them for free. If they don't, you can purchase skypeout credits to call regular landlines or mobiles.

read the skype website; they have lots and lots of info. goooo skype!

dickohead
February 20th, 2006, 10:46 PM
I found out the answer to my first question after installing Skype, so for anyone else who wants to know:

Skype uses P2P networks to trasnfer the data, so once it's connected to the P2P network you're on, no need for port forwarding etc.

majikstreet
February 21st, 2006, 01:23 AM
kinda.. skype uses p2p techology.. I don't think you have to be on a P2P network.. it's by the same people who made kazaa :D

dickohead
February 21st, 2006, 01:25 AM
No, but it helps explain why I don't need to port forward from my router to get it working! :)

I think...