PDA

View Full Version : Mentioning free software on my resume

goseph
November 19th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Dear all,

I am currently in the process of crafting my first graduate resume and I have put that I am a member of my local Free Software group. Is this wise? I do not wish to give the impression that I will get pissy about using non-free software at work or pester my boss to GPL everything we produce. I am interested in all opinions but would like it if you could mention whether or not you are or have held sway over job hunters' fates.

I am (as ever) very appreciative of your contributions and feedback.

Simian Man
November 19th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I honestly would not put it, not because people will think you're a zealot or anything, but because nobody will care about your social organizations. Would you put that you are involved involved in club sports on a resume?

If you consider yourself to have good Unix admin. skills, however, that *is* something to definitely put on your resume. Good luck in your applications!

alphaniner
November 19th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with mentioning something like that. I've always been advised to mention interests that are relevant to the job. If computer skills are expected, it can't be irrelevant.

Irihapeti
November 19th, 2009, 09:31 PM
I came across an interesting thread about using open source experience in your job search: http://theworkinggeek.com/2009/11/how-to-show-open-source-experience-in-your-job-hun.html

V for Vincent
November 19th, 2009, 09:38 PM
I honestly would not put it, not because people will think you're a zealot or anything, but because nobody will care about your social organizations.

Depends. Some companies really take extracurricular activities into account. Though I probably wouldn't mention this particular one, pretty much for the reasons given by the OP.

goseph
November 19th, 2009, 09:50 PM
OP here:

I honestly would not put it, not because people will think you're a zealot or anything, but because nobody will care about your social organizations. Would you put that you are involved involved in club sports on a resume?

I am in a sports club and I do mention that... should I not? I have a small section entitled Personal/Hobbies is this not normal? (I'm really asking!)

Simian Man
November 19th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I am in a sports club and I do mention that... should I not? I have a small section entitled Personal/Hobbies is this not normal? (I'm really asking!)

Well, ideally your resume should be one page worth of the best highlights of your skills and accomplishments. If you are having trouble filling a page, then both might be worthwhile to put down. But if you enough to fill a page or so, then I wouldn't put those things.

Whatever you do, don't go over a page by putting down irrelevant stuff!