PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Building new File server (LSI Logic MegaRaid 8308ELP PCI-e )

Schwyl
November 19th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Hey Guys/Gals

ive been using ubuntu server for a few years now with my current mismash fileserver. The wife has given me the ok to spend some money upgrading/building a new one.

My Biggest question and hopefully someone can answer me.

I have 2 brand new LSI Logic MegaRaid 8308ELP PCI-e (just found them in the office)

Now what im looking for is if i have an os drive and then these two cards installed each with a raid 5 array consisting of 8 disk's will i be able to use them with ubuntu?

karlson
November 19th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Hey Guys/Gals

ive been using ubuntu server for a few years now with my current mismash fileserver. The wife has given me the ok to spend some money upgrading/building a new one.

My Biggest question and hopefully someone can answer me.

I have 2 brand new LSI Logic MegaRaid 8308ELP PCI-e (just found them in the office)

Now what im looking for is if i have an os drive and then these two cards installed each with a raid 5 array consisting of 8 disk's will i be able to use them with ubuntu?

Simplest way to check:

Put the into the server and see if Ubuntu recognizes the cards and loads the driver for it.

More complicated way to check:

www.lsi.com go to downloads find your card and attempt to download the driver for Linux. Then check if the driver exists on Ubuntu.