PDA

View Full Version : Gnome users: What KDE apps do you run?

hellmet
November 19th, 2009, 08:38 PM
For users of Ubuntu (Gnome) Just out of curiosity.. what KDE apps have you installed (and run) and what are the reasons for not choosing their GNOME equivalent(s)?

Me, I used to run K3B, KolourPaint and AmaroK a few releases back. But since the last couple of releases, I've felt no need to install them anymore. Brasero is a pretty good alternative, and has improved significantly. Picasa and GIMP have replaced KolourPaint, and AmaroK 2 is so bad, I use banshee now. Banshee does everything I need, except crossfade.

Tell us your story.

Tibuda
November 19th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I don't use Gnome, but most of the apps I use are Gtk+, and I still use some pure-Qt apps (not KDE): VLC and Skype.

NoaHall
November 19th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Nothing at all.
I used to use Amarok, skype(which doesn't really count) and vlc, but now I don't.

RiceMonster
November 19th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I use them both on different computers, but under Gnome I don't use any KDE or Qt applications.

cguy
November 19th, 2009, 08:54 PM
K3B because I want usable CDs and DVDs after I burn them. Brasero still misses a lot.

KolourPaint because it's the only decent paint program for Linux (in My opinion, ofc)

Kate which has some syntax highlighting and code folding which gEdit doesn't.

I used to use Akregator which is really nice, but I moved my feeds to Opera.

Amarok 1.4 until I got used with Rhythmbox. Now I abandoned it.

Simian Man
November 19th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I only have Qt installed at all for Skype.

ZankerH
November 19th, 2009, 08:57 PM
None.

Next up: a light wm system without gtk or qt.

Tibuda
November 19th, 2009, 08:59 PM

this is easy, just use console apps.

PhilGil
November 19th, 2009, 09:03 PM
DigiKam - I use it primarily for photo tagging, image search, and metadata editing. It's actually overkill for my needs (I prefer the Gimp for photo editing), but F-Spot chokes every time it attempts to index my collection of 35,000+ photos.

K3B - A nice, clean app that does everything I need.

DaveKlynch615
November 19th, 2009, 09:04 PM
K3b is great.

Simian Man
November 19th, 2009, 09:09 PM
None.

Tell 1995 hello for me.

Praxicoide
November 19th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I used to use K3b, but I'm giving Brasero another shot.

Minitube uses qt.

That's about it.

Psumi
November 19th, 2009, 09:43 PM
None, and I'll be on XFCE Soon, and since Parole is shaping up pretty nicely, I won't need any gnome apps either soon.

wojox
November 19th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Pure Gnome here.

Take that back. I do use Thunderbird, Imagemagic and conky.

Aflack
November 19th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I dont like most KDE apps. I use none of theme. I use vlc, firefox, nautilus, totem, and banshee. and terminal lol. gnome do and also pidgin.. basically it.

Regenweald
November 19th, 2009, 09:55 PM
None, but I'd like a crack at DigiKam though.

bowens44
November 19th, 2009, 10:23 PM
I use K3B amd Amarok 1.4

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 19th, 2009, 10:25 PM
None. With the exception of k3b, I just don't like most kde apps.

Simian Man
November 19th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I'm surprised so many people use K3B as their only KDE app. It seems that burning is such a simple thing to do that nearly any program works more than sufficiently. I use Xfburn on Xfce, and used to use Brasero on Gnome, and both worked fine. Am I missing something?

speedwell68
November 19th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Pure Gnome here.

Take that back. I do use Thunderbird, Imagemagic and conky.

Me also.

Psumi
November 19th, 2009, 11:00 PM
I'm surprised so many people use K3B as their only KDE app. It seems that burning is such a simple thing to do that nearly any program works more than sufficiently. I use Xfburn on Xfce, and used to use Brasero on Gnome, and both worked fine. Am I missing something?

xfburn, as I recall, does not work in Ubuntu 9.10 due to lack of complete HAL support.

UKBB
November 19th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Korganizer

BinaryFeast
November 19th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Mainly K3B (since Brasero seems to fail at burning ISO files for some reason), Kate (for writing scripts) and Amarok.

blur xc
November 19th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Mainly K3B (since Brasero seems to fail at burning ISO files for some reason), Kate (for writing scripts) and Amarok.

I'll have to try k3b. Brasero has failed to burn every iso I've tried. The last time I had fired up Vista in VBox and burned it w/ poweriso.

I also use kdenlive. There might be another, but I can't think of it off the top of my head.

I tried amorak and didn't like it.

BM

gnomeuser
November 20th, 2009, 12:06 AM
None what so ever. No interest, no need, no desire.

UbuWu
November 20th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Digikam, Kdenlive and Rkward.

seeker5528
November 20th, 2009, 01:42 AM
I use Amarok, K3B, and if you include QT apps, MythTV and VLC.

VLC, I used when GTK was the primary interface, no reason to change now, it's my primary application for DVD playback on Linux and Windows both.

MythTV, if TV is the primary thing you want a media center type app for, nothing else compares.

Amarok, nothing else really seems "equivalent" to me, Exaile seems like the next best thing.

K3B, historically (in Debian anyway, since that is where most of my Linux history lies) K3B has been the one that is more consistently able to do the job, had a more complete set of features, and provided better error messages in case something didn't work. These things may or may not all be true anymore, but I have not seen anything about other burning programs that even comes close to making me want to switch.

Later, Seeker

hellmet
November 20th, 2009, 02:04 AM
QT is alright. Don't get me started on KDE libs.

oldos2er
November 20th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Ktorrent, KMail, K3b, Filelight, K9copy.

Keyper7
November 20th, 2009, 04:46 AM
No KDE apps, but some Qt apps: Skype, Scribus (if anyone knows a good Gtk alternative for Desktop publishing, please let me know), Kid3 (the only tag program that allows me to convert from Id3v2.4 to Id3v2.3, which is necessary for my cell phone player, and identifies all the junk tags created by rippers) and 2mandvd.

FuturePilot
November 20th, 2009, 04:54 AM
K3B and Ktorrent.

I have a number of Qt apps as well.

natedawg
November 20th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Only one... Digikam
Digikam is an amazing photo manager. I even like it better than Adobe Lightroom that all the professionals seem to use.

I used to install Amarok as well but it really is useless to me in its current state.

matthew.ball
November 20th, 2009, 05:06 AM
I have VLC installed, but just use GNOME-Player or whatever the default is.
I used to have Qalculate! installed, some of the kde files are probably still floating around, and googleearth uses some KDE files, I noticed when installing it yesterday.

blur xc
November 20th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Only one... Digikam
Digikam is an amazing photo manager. I even like it better than Adobe Lightroom that all the professionals seem to use.

I used to install Amarok as well but it really is useless to me in its current state.

I would call Lightroom a raw photo work-flow tool, that happens to also manage photos, and that's why pros use it. Most pros shoot raw.

BM

Simian Man
November 20th, 2009, 08:32 PM
xfburn, as I recall, does not work in Ubuntu 9.10 due to lack of complete HAL support.

Wow, if Ubuntu has a broken HAL, wouldn't that make a lot of applications not work??

RaZe42
November 20th, 2009, 08:37 PM
only one... Digikam
digikam is an amazing photo manager. I even like it better than adobe lightroom that all the professionals seem to use.

+1

editing raw with digikam is also a breeze. i love the workflow!

emigrant
November 20th, 2009, 08:38 PM
none. i hate using kde apps in gnome after i messed up my menus when i installed kde on top gnome a while back in fedora.

Simian Man
November 20th, 2009, 08:43 PM
none. i hate using kde apps in gnome after i messed up my menus when i installed kde on top gnome a while back in fedora.

KDE and Gnome both use the FreeDesktop standards for organizing their menus. How did you mess up your menus by installing kde on top of Gnome? It should have just added a bunch of KDE apps.

emigrant
November 20th, 2009, 08:53 PM
KDE and Gnome both use the FreeDesktop standards for organizing their menus. How did you mess up your menus by installing kde on top of Gnome? It should have just added a bunch of KDE apps.
it was my early days of linux, and i was testing all what i read. after reading that it is possible to install KDE over Gnome without knowing that it will bring a whole lot of applications along with her, i installed it. and most of the applications it brought were no use of for me, i didn't know how to remove those things back to norm so that i had to reinstall fedora back. which was a huge task for me at that time. i still remember how i struggled to bring the 'yum' thing to work. and basically i didnt like the style that almost every app started with a 'K'.

CharlesA
November 20th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I use Konsole. ;-)

SomeGuyDude
November 20th, 2009, 09:05 PM
K3B just because brasero never quite works.

Vadi
November 20th, 2009, 09:50 PM
None :s

Just some qt ones (mudlet, minitube).

NCLI
November 20th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Yakuake FTW!

diesch
November 20th, 2009, 10:32 PM
For users of Ubuntu (Gnome) Just out of curiosity.. what KDE apps have you installed (and run) and what are the reasons for not choosing their GNOME equivalent(s)?

k9copy

TheNessus
November 20th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Kopete and Okular.

chucky chuckaluck
November 20th, 2009, 11:29 PM
i think k3b is untouchable and i almost always use. i've tried bashburn and have gotten close to figuring it out, only to end up asking myself "wtf am i doing this for?"

Mike'sHardLinux
November 20th, 2009, 11:33 PM
K3b, Kid3, AmaroK

I had been using Kdenlive and Kino, but am finding them to be buggier that I had originally thought. :-(

sisco311
November 20th, 2009, 11:35 PM
some qt apps: SMplayer and Opera.

infestor
November 20th, 2009, 11:54 PM
kdesvn!

my favorite svn client

gslug79
November 21st, 2009, 12:44 AM
Digikam
Kdenlive - the only video editor I have found that doesn't crash on me!
Used to use Amarok, but abandoned when 2.0 appeared.

beastrace91
November 21st, 2009, 01:10 AM
Klipper tray tool - I can't live with out it. (In fact I have all the KDE libs installed on my netbook just for this app).

I could never get the "Glipper" application (Gnome version) to work properly for me.

~Jeff

Tibuda
November 21st, 2009, 11:58 AM
Klipper tray tool - I can't live with out it. (In fact I have all the KDE libs installed on my netbook just for this app).

I could never get the "Glipper" application (Gnome version) to work properly for me.

~Jeff

Yeah Glipper never worked for me too. Have you tried Parcellite?

meho_r
November 21st, 2009, 12:19 PM
I have installed a whole bunch of them, but on regular basis I only use TeXWorks and occasionally skype. However, I applied GTK+ style to them so no actual difference in look between native GTK and QT (except for icons).