PDA

View Full Version : Need some suggestions

Mag1cN1nja
November 19th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I wanna get my desktop setup just right.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/9315/screenshoter.png

thats my current setup. I wanna redecorate so bad. Im still new to ubuntu but i got a general grasp on everything. This is what im look for on my desktop

Different to display volume control.
Way to get rid of panels altogether but still have accessibility to the apps
Better display of clock.

Im using ubuntu - Karmic Koala
I only have 512 RAM and i have tried using gnome - do but i dont think it agrees with my system.

One quick problem im having tough is sometimes when im listening to music, playing a game on dosbox/wine, or watching a video. My computer crashes. Screen gets wavy and fuzzed out and whatever sounds that were playing start skipping and everything goes FUBAR.

But enough about that can someone give me some suggestions

xuCGC002
November 19th, 2009, 08:26 PM
You linked to your thumbnail. I can't see what's going on with your desktop anyhow.

Mag1cN1nja
November 19th, 2009, 08:29 PM
You linked to your thumbnail. I can't see what's going on with your desktop anyhow.

i know i fixed it though

Mag1cN1nja
November 19th, 2009, 08:42 PM
bump

Tibuda
November 19th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Way to get rid of panels altogether but still have accessibility to the apps
It is possible to get rid of gnome-panel (I don't really know), but you could also switch to a panelless environment like Openbox. Openbox displays a menu when you right-click a desktop, and I like it very much. It requires some extra time tweaking to get it working, but I think it is worth.

Better display of clock.
Conky is the more customizable (but harder) way to do this, but you can also try cairo clock or screenlets.

Mag1cN1nja
November 19th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Is anyone else got anything to suggest.

Example: Themes,fonts,folders,programs,skins. Im keepin the above in mind

soni1770
November 19th, 2009, 10:13 PM
conky!!:D