PDA

View Full Version : Free software... now Free Music

gashcr
November 19th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Ok, I'm taking some action today. I'm using only free software now, so, I decided to complement this philosophy by going 100% legal with music as well. I confess I've used the "alternative" ways of getting music more than once... but I'm deleting all of that stuff, ripping my hard earned CDs in OGG, and will begin to support some Magnatune and Jamendo artists as well ( cause I want no more MP3's in my box ). I know I won't find all the music the market has wanted us to like... I'll miss some of it... but well, good point is that I will get better sound quality, and will feel completely free :D

cascade9
November 19th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Unless you have a very small hdd and no money to buy a bigger one, yuo might as well go to .flac. Full CD quality :)

gashcr
November 19th, 2009, 07:47 PM
well, actually thought about it... I began encoding my first CD a minutes ago... I did it with vorbis at 320Kb/s... wich ended in a 130mb rip... Pretty going to do it also in FLAC to listen and see If I can notice a difference...

I don't know if I would be able to find a OGG-FLAC portable player here... but will be worth :D

MiCK.ca
November 20th, 2009, 12:02 AM
There are players for OGG files. they don't typically state it on the box, so you'd have to look it up online and check the stats for it.

I know that the company ROKU supports OGG files and on the fly conversion.

Power to you buddy! keep up the quest to keep the world free of expensive software!

AldenIsZen
November 20th, 2009, 12:44 AM
I am about to go the free music route as well. I am looking for good quality music. No more garbage, because garbage in, garbage out! Maybe some classical, blues, different things. Classical may be easier since it is public domain if it is older. Need to open my horizons anyhow.

gashcr
November 20th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Nice AldenisZen, I just thought that. Actually, I don't need commercial stuff. My really favs are on CD, other than that, I look for world and classic music. Blues and Jazz is great, as you can find many good stuff.

Talking about the portable player, I did some research and decided to go with the Sansa-Clip+. It's a small device, with expansion capability, and read a lot of good things about it's sound quality. It can play FLAC and OGG also, so it's perfect for me :D ( AND IT'S CHEAP!! )

VIVA open formats!

openuniverse
November 20th, 2009, 01:14 AM

AldenIsZen
November 20th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Talking about the portable player, I did some research and decided to go with the Sansa-Clip+. It's a small device, with expansion capability, and read a lot of good things about it's sound quality. It can play FLAC and OGG also, so it's perfect for me :D ( AND IT'S CHEAP!! )

VIVA open formats!

That's nice, I will check the Sansa-Clip out. I really want an Android phone, but my contract with All-tel won't be done until next June. All-Tel wants you to buy their phones. :(

cascade9
November 20th, 2009, 03:17 PM
iRiver e100s also support ogg and flac. I have one, they arent bad players, but from what I can see they are very similar to the Sansa-Clip+.

For myself, I actually transcode my .flacs to .mp3 for the e100. Flac is great, but when your looking at limited space, its not perfect. Also, ahem, I actually like the album art display,and it doesnt work with .flac or .ogg.

There is also the slightly old iPod (and a few other players) + rockbox route.

http://www.rockbox.org/

Aayu
November 20th, 2009, 03:29 PM
.flac is fantastic, yet I see no point in using filetypes that are not supported by the majority of players. I do applaud you going 100% free software though! If it wasn't for my OS X addiction and obscure music that is really only available in Japan, I'd follow suit :D

cascade9
November 20th, 2009, 03:43 PM
You have a point Aayu, but its also chicken and egg. If people dont use flac, no-one makes players that support it, then no-one uses it, etc etc.

Anyway, with the relentless increases in bandwidth, and the way that iTunes etc has already figured out how to sell people the same track twice (once as 128K AAC, once more as DRM free 256K) its only a matter of time till lots more players support lossless. Woudl you rather have .flac support, or .wma 'lossless' (a joke) or m4a ALAC? I want flac myself. :)

AldenIsZen
November 20th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Woudl (sic) you rather have .flac support, or .wma 'lossless' (a joke) or m4a ALAC? I want flac myself. :)

Certainly, I want the CD or best quality ideally. I can always rip it to the format that I want later. So give me flac, and I can later compress to ogg or as someone else might, mp3.

gashcr
November 20th, 2009, 08:55 PM
yeah, that's pretty much more convenient...

I'm having problems finding the clip here... only ipods everywhere... oh, and generic ipod wannabe's... I think I'll need to buy it online from US...

AldenIsZen
November 20th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I think I'll need to buy it online from US...

Let me know if I can help.

gashcr
November 21st, 2009, 12:58 AM
Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes

Wiebelhaus
November 21st, 2009, 01:02 AM
Does 7.digital offer different extensions?

running_rabbit07
November 21st, 2009, 01:09 AM
I already paid for my MP3 player. No sense changing formats now.

wilee-nilee
November 21st, 2009, 01:19 AM
If you web search with legal free music downloads there are many available here is one.
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/08/31/35-places-to-download-free-legal-mp3s-music/

slumbergod
November 21st, 2009, 01:21 AM
I bought an LG portable (MF-FM37). It supports ogg but unfortunately not embedded meta data. It is mounted as a USB flash drive so it is easy to add or remove software.

It isn't perfect but it was the only portable I could find in shops where I am.

Wiebelhaus
November 21st, 2009, 01:31 AM
If you web search with legal free music downloads there are many available here is one.
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/08/31/35-places-to-download-free-legal-mp3s-music/

Very nice link , Thanks.

wilee-nilee
November 21st, 2009, 01:35 AM
Very nice link , Thanks.

Many artists are bypassing big label support due to the known control mechanisms which control the artists and the listener. A person should have complete control over their expression.

AldenIsZen
November 21st, 2009, 09:57 AM
A person should have complete control over their expression.

Quoted for truth. (But I will say I will not be a part of negative things. I respect "real" rap as an art form for example since I understand it although it can be negative. Sounds contradictory I know, but it really is all about the message.)

gashcr
November 22nd, 2009, 11:32 PM
Great, I found some great tracks in the links provided above :D

Concerning the media player... I have a Shuffle, and well, I was getting tired cause sometimes I want to decide what to listen :p. However... I can't find the "$"%$%&%$!" sansa clip in my country... So, I'll need to shop in Uncle Sam's land...

By the way, I hitted a great band in Jamendo: Diablo Swing Orchesta. Made me buy their new album :p. If you enjoy metal, and opera, and jazz, and.. well, something crazy... you've got to listen to them :D

earthpigg
November 23rd, 2009, 12:00 AM
the most recent Nine Inch Nails album is "Free" in pretty much whatever way you want it to mean.

http://www.nin.com/

the slip is licensed under a creative commons attribution non-commercial share alike license.

Barrucadu
November 23rd, 2009, 12:27 AM
I'm still in the process of legalising my music collection :P
I have a large collection, I'm deleting things I don't particularly like, and buying CDs for what I do like. I should really use Jamendo more…

Exodist
November 23rd, 2009, 12:34 AM
Ok, I'm taking some action today. I'm using only free software now, so, I decided to complement this philosophy by going 100% legal with music as well. I confess I've used the "alternative" ways of getting music more than once... but I'm deleting all of that stuff, ripping my hard earned CDs in OGG, and will begin to support some Magnatune and Jamendo artists as well ( cause I want no more MP3's in my box ). I know I won't find all the music the market has wanted us to like... I'll miss some of it... but well, good point is that I will get better sound quality, and will feel completely free :D

Ogg is great. I have used it many times and if my car stereo could play Ogg I would have my entire 4k song CD collection in that format.

LinuxFox
November 23rd, 2009, 01:11 AM
the most recent Nine Inch Nails album is "Free" in pretty much whatever way you want it to mean.

http://www.nin.com/The Slip is pretty cool in my opinion. I think it's cool how a band like Nine Inch Nails use the Creative Commons license for this. 8)

I mostly use MP3 because of my portable player, I wish more portable players supported ogg. There's just something I find cool about a free alternative to MP3.

samh785
November 23rd, 2009, 01:16 AM
There are players for OGG files. they don't typically state it on the box, so you'd have to look it up online and check the stats for it.

I know that the company ROKU supports OGG files and on the fly conversion.

Power to you buddy! keep up the quest to keep the world free of expensive software!
My cowon s9

http://www.pmptoday.com/wp-content/uploads/hands-on-cowon_s9-ui.jpg

supports .ogg natively

AldenIsZen
November 23rd, 2009, 05:48 AM
Ogg is great. I have used it many times and if my car stereo could play Ogg I would have my entire 4k song CD collection in that format.

Are there any car stereos that do play OGG? That will be crucial for mainstream adoption.

phrostbyte
November 23rd, 2009, 05:56 AM
There is some real quality stuff on Magnatune.

openuniverse
November 23rd, 2009, 06:15 AM

gashcr
November 24th, 2009, 12:31 AM
My cowon s9

http://www.pmptoday.com/wp-content/uploads/hands-on-cowon_s9-ui.jpg

supports .ogg natively

NEAT!! How much is one of those?

pookiebear
November 24th, 2009, 01:42 AM
what are your favorite free sites for super fast angry heavy metal? Think angry, "SkinLab" on steroids, free fast heavy music? I am looking to add to my collection and legal and free sounds good to me. I have not added anything at all to my collection since about 2000, going to have to start digging around tomorrow.

gashcr
November 24th, 2009, 06:53 AM
what are your favorite free sites for super fast angry heavy metal? Think angry, "SkinLab" on steroids, free fast heavy music? I am looking to add to my collection and legal and free sounds good to me. I have not added anything at all to my collection since about 2000, going to have to start digging around tomorrow.

mmm, well, I'm not that much into that kind of music... so can't really tell... jamendo has some pretty awesome bands in the catalog, I would suggest giving it a try first.

By the way, if someone is interested, NiN is giving their last album out for free: http://dl.nin.com/theslip

Enjoy :D

Khakilang
November 24th, 2009, 07:27 AM
With this in mind. The software pirates will die out eventually. I think thats the way to do it.

wilee-nilee
November 24th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Quoted for truth. (But I will say I will not be a part of negative things. I respect "real" rap as an art form for example since I understand it although it can be negative. Sounds contradictory I know, but it really is all about the message.)

It is all art.;) Most expression whether through cinema or music, or visual art, a or any other venue has the good, bad, and the ugly and all areas in between depending on a persons personal point of view who is making it or observing it.

tgalati4
November 24th, 2009, 07:35 AM
severedfifth.com cookie-monster/Klingon metal

gashcr
November 25th, 2009, 12:50 AM
With this in mind. The software pirates will die out eventually. I think thats the way to do it.

I really think it is. I, as a software developer, would rather look for alternative income, and giving the software for free, than charging a good amount for it and see no profit because it's been pirated all around. MS would have 50 times the money they have WO piracy...

openuniverse
November 25th, 2009, 06:54 AM

cascade9
November 25th, 2009, 01:39 PM

There is the old Phatbox (discontinued) also sold as the Kenwood Music Keg-

http://www.phatnoise.com/products/digitalmediaplayers/kenwood_music_keg.aspx

IIRC, it was limited under 192K/sec bitrates, so its hardly great. There should be headunits that play ogg vorbis, but most of them have moved to mp3/wma/aac only (yuck, who uses wma? and aac isnt nice either).

If only they would use better chipsets that support decent formats. Its probably eaiser, and cheaper, to just use a standard standalone media player and a wireless adapter.

MS would have 50 times the money they have WO piracy...

Totally disagree. Windows loves piracy in some ways, once people get used to windows they can find it hard to adapt to other OSes.

Besides that, if everybody who pirated windows moved to linux (or even if only a good % of people), think of how many users that would be? Enough for the hardware manufacturers to write better drivers, maybe adobe would get flash going better on linux? Those are some of the major problems for people moving over from windows (or even starting out on linux but still want to play with all the toys that Win and Mac have)

AldenIsZen
November 25th, 2009, 05:39 PM
(respectfully) no it won't. mainstream adoption of mp3's didn't require car stereos that play mp3's. (i've used car stereos that do play mp3's, but i don't know if they're a rule.) for ogg to work you need "mp3" players that play ogg, they've been around for quite some time. the fact that most web browsers are going to support them natively probably matters just as much as car stereos, if not more.

I think we just disagree on when we get to mainstream. Popular to me doesn't mean mainstream, it sorta means even grandma is doing it. I have a friend who just got his first MP3 player for when he is mowing. He doesn't care anything about OGG. For him, yes portable player support would be crucial, but for a lot of people to care/hear about it, car stereos would need to support it. I remember when I was younger the tightest car stereos were the ones that played the MP3s, and all of us were to poor to even have a computer. Sure, things have changed, even in the ghettos, but when you hear that the latest and greatest feature of your car audio is OGG support, then you really know you are getting somewhere. But you are right, portable players are obviously crucial as well.

gashcr
November 25th, 2009, 09:03 PM
severedfifth.com cookie-monster/Klingon metal

whoa, love the beat!

gashcr
November 25th, 2009, 09:04 PM
There is the old Phatbox (discontinued) also sold as the Kenwood Music Keg-

http://www.phatnoise.com/products/digitalmediaplayers/kenwood_music_keg.aspx

IIRC, it was limited under 192K/sec bitrates, so its hardly great. There should be headunits that play ogg vorbis, but most of them have moved to mp3/wma/aac only (yuck, who uses wma? and aac isnt nice either).

If only they would use better chipsets that support decent formats. Its probably eaiser, and cheaper, to just use a standard standalone media player and a wireless adapter.

Totally disagree. Windows loves piracy in some ways, once people get used to windows they can find it hard to adapt to other OSes.

Besides that, if everybody who pirated windows moved to linux (or even if only a good % of people), think of how many users that would be? Enough for the hardware manufacturers to write better drivers, maybe adobe would get flash going better on linux? Those are some of the major problems for people moving over from windows (or even starting out on linux but still want to play with all the toys that Win and Mac have)

Actually, must agree with you, piracy is great to create lock in

gashcr
November 26th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Ok, I ordered de Sansa Clip+ 4Gb today from Amazon, hoping to get it in 9 days or so :D

Next payment I'll get a 16GB SDHC card.... :P

And got a pair of tickets for the Epica concert next Tuesday here in Costa Rica!!! I'm soooo happy, everything is being great this week!!!

openuniverse
December 2nd, 2009, 06:20 AM

lisati
December 2nd, 2009, 06:26 AM
www.frostclick.com might be worth checking for free music

gashcr
December 8th, 2009, 04:24 AM
www.frostclick.com might be worth checking for free music

Actually, a very good link.

My Clip+ arrived :D, great little gadget must say, couldn't be happier :)

AldenIsZen
December 8th, 2009, 05:01 PM
don't know how long until it's standard but:

http://wiki.xiph.org/StaticPlayers#Car_Audio

http://wiki.xiph.org/PortablePlayers#CD.2FDVD_Audio_Players

http://wiki.xiph.org/PortablePlayers#Flash_Memory_Storage

Thanks for the links! Very interesting, I knew there had to be some out there!

Странник
December 8th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I recently bought the Transcend 860FM . It's cheaper than the clip/clip+ , it supports .ogg and .flac. It can view photos and movies and it has a very nice colour screen.Still it's really portable
Edit : It also has a microsd slot for expansion

kingbilly
December 8th, 2009, 06:44 PM

Thanks for the link, i've been checking out stuff for about an hour now.

Great thread, I wouldn't have ever found the female south korean group - After School- on mainstream radio. They remind me of destiny's child.

:popcorn:

peter d
December 8th, 2009, 11:36 PM
I've been using Jamendo for some time now. There's some great music on there. There's some dreadful music too - but that's part of the fun. It's a great way for bands and performers to get their music out there.

Also got some through Classic Cat. The quality's very variable.